[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] Fwd: TEDx: self-organized TED events are taking off!

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Tue Jun 16 00:03:40 PDT 2009

>> Subject: TEDx: self-organized TED events are taking off!
>>

>> Dear Global TED Community,
>>
>> It's time to officially unveil an exciting program that has been
>> running in beta the past few months.
>>
>> Taking its cue from TED's tagline "ideas worth spreading," its goal
>> is to allow passionate TEDsters everywhere to organize and
>> advertise their own TED-like events -- in schools, universities,
>> homes, workplaces and local theaters, using the brand TEDx.
>>
>> The 'x' is a placeholder for "independently organized TED event"
>> but also implies:
>> - TED exponential
>> - TED multiplied
>> - TED anywhere
>>
>> Already more than 30 TEDx events have been held,
>> includingTEDxTokyo, TEDxMoscow, TEDxParis, TEDxStockholm,
>> TEDxSanFranciscoand -- just this weekend TEDxShanghai.
>>
>> You can see pictures from these remarkable events on our TEDx
>> Facebook page. Some 120 TEDx events are already planned for the
>> coming months, and we expect many more.
>>
>> TEDx events can last up to 1 day in length and are usually a
>> combination of recorded TED talks and local live speakers. The
>> events may not be used to promote commercial, religious or
>> political agendas, and there are a few other simple rules that seek
>> to ensure the experience is as TED-like as possible. However, our
>> basic approach is to license the name in good faith for a one-time
>> event, offer the best advice and tools that we can, and trust that
>> the feedback we receive will give us the confidence to issue repeat
>> licenses to the same organizer.
>>
>> Audiences vary from just a few dozen people to hundreds. We
>> encourage organizers to film any local speakers so that we can
>> distribute the best of them at TED.com. So in addition to making a
>> live experience available to many thousands of people around the
>> world, we believe TEDx will also be a fantastic source of material
>> for us to share with the world.
>>
>> Indeed, today we have put up on the site our first ever TEDx talk,
>> recorded at TEDxUSC, an event at the University of Southern
>> California attended by a full house of more than 1100 students and
>> professors. It's a terrific talk by biologist Jayne Pointer on her
>> experience spending two years inside Biosphere 2. More to come!
>>
>> The announcement is here. And you can explore the program for
>> yourself, including a listing of upcoming events, on our website athttp://www.ted.com/tedx
>> .
>>
>> This is the beginning of a new chapter in TED's global journey --
>> we hope you can be part of it.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Chris Anderson, TED Curator
>> Lara Stein, TEDx Director
>>

>> Unsubscribe or update your email address.
>> TED | 55 Vandam Street | 16th floor | New York, NY 10013

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Radical Solutions Inspiring Hope  •  2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton,
CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2975 Vineyard Dr.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.