[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] Fwd: The Garden: Los Angeles urban farmers struggle against corporate interests, and the Take Back the Land movement

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Mon Jul 6 20:51:32 PDT 2009

get the film and show it in your community!!!

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Culture Change <info at culturechange.org>
> Date: July 6, 2009 3:49:24 PM PDT
> To: <culturechange at lists.mutualaid.org>
> Subject: The Garden: Los Angeles urban farmers struggle against
> corporate interests, and the Take Back the Land movement
>
> The Garden: Los Angeles urban farmers struggle against corporate
> interests,
> and the Take Back the Land movement
>

> The Garden, a film by Scott Hamilton Kennedy, vividly reveals a
> world of
> healthy community gardening forgotten by many urban dwellers,
> fighting the
> encroachment of backroom political deals, ... moneyed interests, the
> state
> and corporations. One of many struggles worldwide for the basics of
> food
> and shelter, a dramatic fight between the people connected to the
> earth and
> the people abusing power and money.
> "Rising from the ashes of the LA riots..."
>
> "We have not found a larger inner city garden anywhere in the U.S."
>
> "In the middle of downtown, you have thirteen acres, people growing
> food!"
>
> "it's a pretty simple idea, land, people, food, happy days!"
>
> ...and then comes the notice to vacate, and the struggle continues.
>
> --------------
> Take Back the Land works to use land for the benefit of the Miami
> community.
>
> Take Back the Land is the name of a book, a web site, an extensive
> collection of documentary videos, and a blog.
>
> Mission of Take Back the Land
>
> People of African descent have been systematically denied control of
> land
> in their communities- from slavery to sharecropping to segregation
> to the
> current gentrification and displacement of our communities.
>
> Elected officials and high ranking bureaucrats have sold out the black
> community in favor of enriching already wealthy and politically
> connected
> developers.
>
> We assert our right to the land in our community and to use public
> space
> for the public good- specifically, to house, feed and provide
> community
> space for the poor, particularly in low income black communities. As
> such,
> we are Taking Back the Land and empowering the black community, not
> the
> politicians, to determine how to use land for the benefit of the
> community.
>
> Read the complete article and view the movie trailer and links at
> http://www.CultureChange.org/go.html?477
>
> * * * * *
>
> Culture Change
> P.O. Box 4347, Arcata, CA 95518 USA, tel/fax: 1-215-243-3144
> http://culturechange.org
> Please send any feedback or questions via email to info at culturechange.org

> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Celebrating Transition, Opportunity and Resilience  •  2500 Oakview
Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2500 Oakview Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.