[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] Green Shorts Video Contest Winners Announced -- Top Rated Movies Available for Online Viewing

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Thu Jul 9 00:34:26 PDT 2009

>> From: "Megan Diaz" <mdiaz at cecmail.org>
>> Date: July 8, 2009 5:10:21 PM PDT
>> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
>> Subject: Green Shorts Video Contest Winners Announced -- Top Rated
>> Movies Available for Online Viewing
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Please see the attached Press Release, which announces the Green
>> Shorts Video Contest Winners.
>> Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

PRESS RELEASE - For Immediate Release

Contact:  Kent Epperson at 895-6589

Green Shorts Video Contest Winners Announced.  Top Rated Movies
Available for Online Viewing

Santa Barbara, San Luis and Ventura County, CA (July 1, 2009) - The
Community Environmental Council, in partnership with Samy’s Camera,
Santa Barbara Channels Community Television and thirteen other tri-
county organizations, presented awards to local artists from the tri-
county area for the Green Shorts Video Contest, an annual video-shorts
film festival focused on improving our planet, helping our environment
and being green. This year the contest theme was “Life After
Oil” (Santa Barbara’s 2009 Earth Day theme). The 2-minute video shorts
are heart warming, inspiring, funny and sometimes cutting, and are now
available online for viewing at http://vimeo.com/channels/48318 and
can be viewed on Santa Barbara Channel 17 through August. The top
finalists were awarded prizes ranging from a Macbook laptop computer
to a $100 Samy’s Camera gift certificate. The finalists

The following movies were given awards:

First Place: “One Million Gardens” - The greening of our own life is
the key ingredient to sustainable civilization - start a garden.
Directed by William Martin

Second Place: “Worms Not Oil” - Follow a Santa Barbara local on her
quest to reduce her environmental impact with the help of some wriggly
red worms. Directed by Lori La Riva.

Third Place:  “A Humanistic Approach” – By appealing to the sense of
responsibility, the movie encourages viewers to consider their daily
activities and be proactive in making environmentally friendly
lifestyle changes. Directed by Rebekah Meredith and Moonie Shin.

Ages 11 and Under Student Winner: “Mother Nature” - The delicate
balance of nature as seen through the eyes of one of her creatures.
Directed by Coby Kaufer.

Ages 12- 18 Student Winner: “Just Imagine...” - A brief look at the
many layers of the problems with oil consumption that encompass our
everyday lives. Directed by Erik Choquette.

College Award: “Spencer the Waster” - Meet Spencer.  He wastes
anything and everything, but in the end he has a choice. Directed by
Addison Smith.

Viewers Choice Award:  “Spencer the Waster” – Directed by Addison
Smith, and “We Will Begin Anew” - Directed by Paul Lynch.

Winners were selected by a panel of judges including Actor / Director
Tim Matheson (Animal House, Black Sheep, West Wing); Phyllis
dePicciotto, founder and former director of the Santa Barbara
International Film Festival; Michael Hanrahan, president and co-
founder of The Ocean Channel; Adam Lundquist, the co-host of the 92.9
KJEE morning show and can be heard from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.; D.J.
Palladino, producer of the Magic Lantern Films series and former arts
editor of the Santa Barbara Independent; John Palminteri, veteran news
reporter and a regular contributor to a half-dozen television, radio,
and print media on the South Coast; and Bob Banner, Editor for
HopeDance Magazine.

For more information about the Green Short Video Contest, visit
SbEarthDay.org or call the Community Environmental Council at 963-0583.

Green Shorts Partners Include: Brooks Institute, City of Goleta, City
of Santa Barbara, COAST, Community Environmental Council, Green
Business Program, Hope Dance, MTD, Santa Barbara Air Pollution Control
District, Samy’s Camera, Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition/Bici Centro,
Santa Barbara Channels, SBCAG Traffic Solutions, SBCC Center for
Sustainability, UCSB Carsey-Wolf Center for Film Television and New
Media, UCSB Sustainability programs, and Whiz Kids.

>> Thank you.
>>
>> Megan L. Diaz
>> Energy Program Associate
>> Community Environmental Council
>> 26 W. Anapamu St., Second Floor
>> Santa Barbara, CA 93101
>>
>> Office: 805.963.0583 ext. 105
>> www.CECsb.org
>> www.getenergized.org

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Celebrating Transition, Opportunity and Resilience  •  2500 Oakview
Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2500 Oakview Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.