[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] Fwd: 17 year old Wins National Video Contest for Second Year Running

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Wed Jul 15 10:41:50 PDT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Steven Crandell" <scrandell at napf.org>
> Date: July 15, 2009 9:58:44 AM PDT
> To: "Steven Crandell" <scrandell at napf.org>
> Subject: FW: 17 year old Wins National Video Contest for Second Year
> Running
>

> www.wagingpeace.org
>
> 17-year-old Wins
> National Peace Video Contest
> For Second Year Running
>
> July 15, 2009
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE :
>
> Contact: Steven Crandell, 805 965-3443, scrandell at napf.org
>
> SANTA BARBARA --  Teenager Erik Choquette has created a remarkable
> animated video to claim the $1,000 first prize in the 2009
> Swackhamer Disarmament Video Contest for the second year in a row.
>
> Called The Nuclear Genie, the three minute video uses inventive
> graphics to connect nuclear weapons history with a way to “get the
> genie back in the bottle” through public participation in the
> democratic process.
>
> The top three videos, as well as the four receiving honorable
> mention, can be viewed on line at:
>
> http://www.wagingpeace.org/menu/programs/awards-&-contests/video-contest/2009/winners.htm
>
> Choquette, 17,  had a clear strategy for this year’s competition. “I
> focused on a call to action and how this issue has influenced our
> society for so long,” he said. “It's an issue that many people
> simply ignore, never fully realizing, or wanting to realize, the
> possible effects of using a nuclear weapon again especially in our
> modern society.”
>
> There were 120 videos submitted to this year’s Swackhamer
> competition. They displayed a variety of approaches from animation
> to claymation to live action drama. There was even one nuclear
> disarmament rap – “War on Nuclear Warheads” – which ended up getting
> Honorable Mention
>
> “The judges and the staff of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation were
> all overwhelmed at the research, creativity and countless hours that
> went in to each of the videos,” said Rick Wayman, Director of
> Programs for the Foundation and contest coordinator. “It was
> difficult to pick the winners for this year’s contest; there were
> many videos contesting for the top spots. We honor each and every
> one of  the entrants for their commitment to the cause.”
>
> Choquette enters his senior year at Santa Barbara High School this
> fall. It promises to be a very busy time in his life.
>
> “I'm applying to roughly 9-10 major film schools like USC, NYU, and
> UCLA. My dream school is USC, but it's going to take a lot to get
> in. For now, I'm starting to focus on narrative filmmaking. I'm
> starting production soon on a film I wrote several months ago which
> will act as an application film for colleges, but also as a film to
> enter into festivals.”
> Second prize, and $750, went to the animated video,  "Numbers of
> Destruction" by Tyler Short of  Portland, Oregon.  Third prize, and
> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Celebrating Transition, Opportunity and Resilience  •  2500 Oakview
Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edible SLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2500 Oakview Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.