[Scpg] Resilient Cities - planners post their visions/Critical questions about Transition Movement and David Holmgren's Future Scenarios

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jul 20 07:36:54 PDT 2009

Resilient Cities - planners post their visions
Sat, Jul 11, 2009
Book reviews
http://pacific-edge.info/?p=200

A couple weeks ago, I received a phone call from
a woman in the Department of Prime Minister and
Cabinet. She wanted to know if the Department
could use a short piece from something I had
written in a set of guidelines they were
producing. The guidelines, she explained, were
for other levels of government and institutions
to use when thinking about how to make
communities more resilient. It was then that it
dawned on me just how far this notion of
resilient communities has gone and how broad is
the depth of interest in it.

In the community sector, the term 'resilient
communities' is heard among those active in the
relatively new Transtions Initiative groups
(www.transitionsydney.org.au). There, it
summarises a range of ideas on how societies can
adapt to the synchronous impact of peak oil and
climate change.
Transition Initiatives, however, are far from the
only ones using the term. That was reinforced for
me while in Gleebooks one day. There, while
perusing the environment titles shelves, I came
across a paperback, the collective work of three
authors: Peter Newman, professor of
sustainability at Curtin University in WA, author
of Cities as Sustainable Ecosystems (2007, Island
Press) - Peter Newman was once the NSW
Sustainabilty Commissioner - Timothy Beatley,
professor of Sustainable Communities at the
University of Virginia and author of Green
Urbanism Down Under (2008, Island Press); and
Heather Boyer, senior editor at Island Press and
Loeb Fellow at the Harvard Graduate School of
Design. None of these are intellectual light
weights and what they say must be taken with more
than a grain of seriousness.

And the book - it was called Resilient Cities -
responding to peak oil and climate change.
http://www.resilientcitiesbook.org/

Necessary reading
This is exactly the sort of book Transition
Initiative people and their fellow travelers,
permaculturists, should take the time to read.
The synchronous peak oil-climate change challenge
to our resource intensive cities is analysed, as
is the nature of the climatic and energy threats.
After creating a typology of four urban future
scenarios, the authors go on to describe visions
and hopes for sustainable cities. What is good is
that there are many examples of positive

What is also of interest, to those active in the
permaculture and Transition movements, anyway, is
the revelation of how permaculture is perceived
by planning and design professionals working in
education and sustainability practice. The
authors certainly take permaculture seriously,
however they remain critical of its approach to
an oil-depleted and climatically-altered future
for our cities.

Why this is important is because these people are
influential. They frame thinking about
permaculture and affect how others perceive it.
Permaculture, Transitions and related approaches
to sustainable development at the community level
all circulate in the public marketplace for
ideas, something that makes how they are
perceived critical to their future opportunities.

This is revealed in the chapter describing four
scenarios for the future of cities. Drawing up
scenarios is a way of thinking about the future
that has now been in use for decades and has been
adopted by a range of organisations in society,
including business. One of its advantages is that
it engages the imagination to envision
alternative futures based on current and likely
events and trends, as well as unexpected events,
and allows you to step out along exploratory
pathways of the imagination in considering how
things could unfold from different starting
conditions and how they might be responded to.

What becomes clear as you read the book is that
the authors are familiar with the different
scenarios, including those of Richard Heinberg
and David Holmgren. Heinberg, an American, toured
with David Holmgren several years ago to alert
Australian audiences to the challenge offered by
the peaking of global oil supplies. The authors
have done their research and, to that, they add
their extensive and more than credible knowledge
developed of years of experience.

The four urban scenarios the authors explore are:
collapse, ruralisation, the divided city and the
resilient city. Transition and permaculture
interests might wonder why the ruralised city and
the resilient city are treated separately, for
surely they are the same? Hasn't permaculture's
Bill Mollison and David Holmgren painted them as
such? Well, it turns out that they are not the
same and that, for the authors, the resilient
city is the preferred future.

Collapse
The collapse scenario is familiar - the
synchronous impact of peak oil and climate change
combine to create a descending spiralŠ price
rises for fuels and food hit the less affluent
hardestŠ markets change as household funds are
diverted from discretionary spending into buying
increasingly costly basic needs, businesses
collapse, jobs disappear, family and mortgage
stress increases, family homelessness (already a
phenomenon in Australia in the current recession)
becomes more common and, as a result of this
trend, a climate of fear and panic descends.

This is likely be be felt more keenly, the
authors say, in the newer, outer ring of suburbs
that have grown up on the assumption of a
continuous supply of relatively cheap vehicle
fuel. Out there, car reliance is a basic given,
public transport is not particularly effective at
moving people to and from workplace, commercial
centre and shopping mall and walking and cycling
simply are not options due to distance and lack
of safe cycling facilities. These distant suburbs
are vulnerable suburbs in a situation of energy
and climate stress.

In a climate of despair, family and community
stress, the fear that sets in starts to manifest
as panic. Opportunities for adaptive responses
collapse as the resilience of civil society goes
into freefall. Those who remain in the vulnerable
suburbs live on whatever meagre resources a
society tumbling into recession can provide.
Others move on.

We can imagine this. Just as in the Great
Depression of the 1930s, shanty towns and tent
cities appear. And just as in those years, this
triggers social resistance by the more affluent,
the employed middle class and environmentalists
who press the authorities to remove the squatter
camps from their view and off of nature reserves
and national parks. Quickly, a social fracture
becomes a social chasm.
According to the authors, this is the type of
future that stems from the denial of peak oil and
climate change. It is as Thomas Homer Dixon wrote
in The Upside of Down - that it is when resource,
environmental and social stresses combine in
synchrounous failure that social and personal
support systems start to fail.

This is a bleak future that has a certain appeal
to the apocalyptic mindset. That mindset is more
prevalent in the US than in Australia and New
Zealand, however it is being talked up here, too,
the authors suggest.

Bill Mollison and David Holmgren (co-originators
of the permaculture design concept) and Ted
Trained (a UNSW lecturer who has written
extensively on future scenarios and
sustainability) have warned that our present
society may find it difficult to adapt to the
potential impact of peak oil and climate change,
especially if their impacts start to be felt at
the same time.

None, however, say that we should accept collapse
in the way that some peak oilers (those who see
peak oil as, primarily, a collapse scenario) do
with what the authors say is their often
overstated rhetoric. They say that in Energy
Bulletin, edition 6.6.04, David Holmgren is
reported as portraying such a doomsayer vision of
a peak oil future.

The divided city
This model is one unconducive to achieving urban
sustainability. It is of a model the city divided
along the lines of social class, with wealth a
determinant of sustainable living.
It was years ago that I first found this model
described in a novel. That book portrayed
American society of what was the near future, a
society in which the less affluent masses lived
in socially and environmentally decaying suburbs
in which there was limited opportunity. The
wealthier occupied what we would now call
ecovillages - in effect, they were gated
communities in which the residents enjoyed the
benefits of renewable energy systems and other
technologies of sustainability, and the security
that comes from having guards on the gates.

We already have gated communities, the most
effective barrier of entry to which is less the
guards than the cost of the real estate. The
products of social fear and exclusivity, they are
increasingly criticised by planners. They
sometimes have regulations that in effect become
a form of social control. In this, they have some
parallel with some ecovillages in which aspects
of behaviour may be constrained, such as the
colours you can paint your house, how you can
make use of your land, what types of domestic
animals you cannot keep, the discouragement of
informal, uninvited visitation to the ecovillage
and so on. For the most part, such restrictions
are based on environmental considerations, and
while this is both reasonable and responsible, it
is often only one particular take on people and
their environment. Nonetheless, it is this that
distinguishes authentic ecovillages from gated
communities.

The divided city is one in which this social
divide is also an opportunity divide. It is not a
model for sustainable urbanisation.

The ruralised city
Those in permaculture and some in the Transition
Initiative movement will be familiar with the
ruralised city model. The scenario goes like this
- as climate change and peak oil make their
combined impacts felt, a demographic and
agricultural renaissance takes place in the
suburbs of Australian cities as they are
transformed into places where food, fuelwood and
fibre are produced.

This is an evolutionary scenario in that it takes
place over time. It is based on a household-led
renaissance in which suburban houses become
multigenerational, extended family locales amid
the new, urban fields of food and fuel. It is a
vision very much along the lines of conventional
permaculture thinking and is even one that people
have here and there sought to give birth to where
they have removed fences between adjoining
properties and shared resources. Ted Trainer, in
particular, has been a strong advocate of this
vision of the city.

Those instances, few they might be, where
neighbours remove fences and share resources have
been exemplary, however they have proven largely
unreplicable, not because the idea is unworkable
but because there has been no broad motivation
and because urban populations are often mobile
populations, a situation in which linking
adjoining properties and sharing space is
unlikely to endure.
Elsewhere, the authors acknowledge that urban
agriculture is a good thing, however they agree
that David Holmgren's vision of the rurualised
city is a flawed one. Their objections follow.

Urban sprawl
David's model encourages urban sprawl. Its focus
on the detached suburban dwelling would see the
further spread of the suburbs and the further
loss of our urban fringe farmlands, already
threatened in Sydney and Melbourne by urban
development (52 percent of Sydney's existing
market gardens and small scale farming
enterprises are in the state government's urban
growth areas).
The model thus threatens the resiliency of the cities.

The individualisation of the problems
A focus on the ruralised city and the suburban
house as the centre of adaptation to peak oil and
climate change individualises both the problem
and the solution. The authors assert that
individual, uncoordinated approaches to
sustainable living will not achieve desirable
outcomes. What is needed are region-wide
solutions, not just the one-offs that rely on the
individual initiatives of householders. Those
exemplary initiatives need to be scaled-up and
made affordable and accessible to thousands.

Helena Norberg-Hodge, of the International
Society for Ecology and Culture and a leading
figure promoting community-based, urban food
systems in the UK, has warned against the
individualisation of responsibility for our
environmental problems and against the placing of
responsblity solely upon householders and
individuals. This, she suggests, allows industry,
government and institutions to avoid their share
of responsibility.

Whatsmore, the individualised approach is
socially inequitable, being dependent upon home
ownership and access to sufficient affluence to
fund the changes. The continuity of that
affluence into a period marked by economic
downturn stemming from peak oil and climate
change must be doubted. I realised that this
really is a factor when friends explained to me
that they could not afford to install solar hot
water, although they would have preferred to.
People need funds for discretionary spending,
even when government rebates are available, to
install solar water heating, photovotaic panels
and the rest of the energy and water efficiency
domestic tech kit. Maybe this is why we see them
in mainly better off, more affluent suburbs.

The authors say that cities are collective
entitiesŠ that is, they are more than
individualised houses and the nuclear or other
family types inhabiting them. Thus, common
solutions are what is needed, rather than the
one-off initiatives of the environmentally
committed. This might have been what social
entrepreneur Mitra Aadron was getting at when,
some time ago, he wrote on the Oceania
permaculture email discussion list that
sustainability initiatives have been one-off
affairs and that a more innovative approach was
called for to scale-up access to the technologies
of sustainability for householders. His solution
was the bulk-buying of the technology of
household sustainability.

A bleak future for parts of the city
The ruralised city model offers a bleak future
for those parts of the city unable to grow food
and fuelwood, harvest and store water and process
their wastes
Presumably, this would include the denser, inner
urban ring of urbanisation close to the city
centres. Yet, it is just this density of
population that commentators say is needed to
make public transport economically viable, and
thus reliable and efficient, and to make those
places into walkable and cyclable suburbs.

This is a critique of the ruralised city model
that has been offered by others. They say it has
little to offer medium density residents at a
time when more and more people are attracted to
apartment living or when that is the only type of
dwelling that is affordableŠ such as with first
home buyers.

The sustainable city
This is the authors' preferred model. It is
eco-efficient in regard to energy and water, has
effective public transportation that includes
walkable and bicycleable suburbs, viable local
economies, produces much of its own fresh foods -
especially in the ecovillages located in what are
presently the newer, outer suburbs vulnerable to
peak oil and climate change, and its
infrastructure is carbon neutral.

If I am allowed to add my bit, I would say that
the sustainable city is also the wired city in
which teleworking and teleconferencing replace a
portion of personal, workplace-related travel.
High-speed, affordable bandwidth makes this
possible, as do the technologies of the mobile
Internet.

It is also the food city, with urban fringe
market gardens, orchards, poultry farms and
mushroomeries protected by zoning legislation
from being overrun by urban development.
Aquaponic installations exist as small businesses
within the suburbs as do community gardens for
their food and social values.

The path
So, how do we avoid the divided city and collapse
and get to the sustainable city?
You will have to read the book for the detail in
which the authors describe ten strategic steps
towards sustainability. They include among these
the installation of sustainable infrastructure,
the regeneration of households and
neighbourhoods, the facilitation of localisation
and the use of government approvals to regulate
for a post-oil transition.

For those community associations pursuing the
Transition approach to a sustainable future,
Resilient Cities - responding to peak oil and
climate change will help to bring rigour and
credibility to their argument. At the same time
it will challenge them, especially in its
constructive criticism of David Holmgren's
scenario of suburban adaptation. This might not
be received well in some permaculture circles as
self-criticism has never been a strong feature in
permaculture and reaction to outside critical
comment has sometimes been quite defensive rather
than considerate.

Nonetheless, as the Transition Towns/Transition
Initiatives movement makes its presence felt more
keenly in the social marketplace for ideas,
criticism will become more frequent and more
pointed. Reading this book in an open frame of
mind will help such groups revisit their core
beliefs and ask themselves questions about their
validity.

Publisher's information
Newman P, Beatley T, Boyer H; 2009; Resilient
Cities - responding to peak oil and climate
change; Island Press, Washington DC.
http://www.resilientcitiesbook.org/

Resilient Cities: Responding to Peak Oil and Climate Change
http://www.resilientcitiesbook.org/
Published: December 2008
by Island Press
166 p. 6 x 9
www.resilientcitiesbook.org/files/documents/RESILIENT%20CITIESnew.pdf
ISBN: 9781597264990
Paperback: $30.00

ISBN: 9781597264983
Hardcover: $60.00

Half of the world's inhabitants now live in
cities. In the next twenty years, the number of
urban dwellers will swell to an estimated five
billion people. With their inefficient
transportation systems and poorly designed
buildings, many cities-especially in the United
States-consume enormous quantities of fossil
fuels and emit high levels of greenhouse gases.
But our planet is rapidly running out of the
carbon-based fuels that have powered urban growth
for centuries and we seem to be unable to curb
our greenhouse gas emissions. Are the world's
cities headed for inevitable collapse?

The authors of this spirited book don't believe
that oblivion is necessarily the destiny of urban
areas. Instead, they believe that intelligent
planning and visionary leadership can help cities
meet the impending crises, and look to existing
initiatives in cities around the world. Rather
than responding with fear (as a legion of
doomsaying prognosticators have done), they
choose hope. First, they confront the problems,
describing where we stand today in our use of oil
and our contribution to climate change. They then
present four possible outcomes for cities:
"collapse," "ruralized,"  "divided," and
"resilient." In response to their scenarios, they
articulate how a new "sustainable urbanism" could
replace today's "carbon-consuming urbanism." They
address in detail how new transportation systems
and buildings can be feasibly developed to
replace our present low efficiency systems. In
conclusion, they offer ten "strategic steps" that
any city can take toward greater sustainability
and resilience.

This is not a book filled with "blue sky" theory
(although blue skies will be a welcome result of
its recommendations). Rather, it is packed with
practical ideas, some of which are already
working in cities today. It frankly admits that
our cities have problems that will worsen if they
are not addressed, but it suggests that these
problems are solvable. And the time to begin
solving them is now.

Table Of Contents
Preface

Chapter One: Urban Resilience: Cities of Fear and Hope

Chapter Two: Climate Change and Peak Oil: The
Double Whammy for Resource-Intensive Cities

Chapter Three: Four Scenarios for the Future of
Cities: Collapse, Ruralized, Divided, or
Resilient City

Chapter Four: A Vision for Resilient Cities: The Built Environment

Chapter Five: Hope for Resilient Cities: Transport

Chapter Six: Conclusion: Ten Strategic Steps toward a Resilient City