[Scpg] the next big local food issue: plastic containers?

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 12:04:21 PDT 2009

Jan Lundberg at Culture Change is at the forefront of this important  issue.

_http://www.culturechange.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcate
gory&id=18&Itemid=62_
(http://www.culturechange.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=18&Itemid=62)

"Petroleum-based plastics have only in the last several years been
discovered to be an unmitigated disaster. Oceans are being filled with this mess
of nonbiodegradable poison that cannot be cleaned up. Plastics, their
additives  and toxins attached to them in the oceans enter our bodies and damage
our  hormones and genes."

So what are the alternatives? Bioplastics have some of the same problems as
 biofuels. Glass? Still breakable.

The container you get your soymilk in -- even from Organic Valley -- is
lined with plastic that may be contaminating your milk. Your organic yogurt
comes in plastic etc. I shudder when I see the plastic baby bottles and
pacifiers going into the mouths of infants.

Lundberg follows the activities of various pioneers in the anti-plastics
movement. The "Plastics Plague" section on his website
(_www.culturechange.org_ (http://www.culturechange.org) ) is a useful  source of the latest info.

Some cities are banning plastic bags, plastic water bottles.

What about Santa Barbara?

Linda
**************What's for dinner tonight?  Find quick and easy dinner ideas
for any occasion.