[Scpg] Marisha Auerbach in Los Angeles- 2 events

info info at sustainablehabitats.org
Wed Jul 29 22:29:14 PDT 2009

Friday, August 7 at 7:30 pm at L.A. Eco-Village        Seedsaving as an
Activist Practice
with
Marisha Auerbach

Seedsaving gives us the unique opportunity to dance with life and play a
distinct role in our nourishment.  We can nurture plants for the special
qualities that may sustain us in an uncertain future.   As corporations
attempt to take control of our genetic diversity, seed saving becomes an
important political act.  Come join us to learn how you can take
responsibility for your own food supply by saving your own seeds from
your garden.  We will be discussing harvest of cultivated and native
seeds as well as flowers and vegetable crops.  Seed saving is a great
localizing buffer against the globalization of our food supply, because
it encourages diversity and increases the resilience in our gardens to
pests and diseases.

Fee:                     $10 (self selected sliding scale ok)
Reservations:   Required.  Call 213/738-1254 or 323/325-8663 or
crsp at igc.org

About Marisha Auerbach

Marisha Auerbach has been practicing, studying, and teaching
permaculture in the Pacific Northwest for the past decade. She is
involved with many communities around Cascadia including Lost Valley,
Tryon Life Community Farm, and City Repair. As an itinerant permaculture
designer, Marisha calls the greater Olympia area home, especially the
Wild Thyme Farm, a 150 acre permaculture demonstration farm and FSC
certified forest in the northern Willapa Hills. Marisha encourages
sustainable futures through sharing knowledge with others on a variety
of topics including: permaculture, polyculture gardening, flower and gem
essences, local economics, community building, ethnobotany, herbalism,
edible landscape design, and organic gardening among others. She is
enthusiastic about creating perennial forage systems and building local
community as a response to peak oil. Marisha's interest in local
economics and creating useful items using her resources has manifested
as several projects: past work on local community marketplaces in
Olympia, Queen Bee Flower and Gem Essences, Herb'n Wisdom for
permaculture consulting and herbal products, and Growing Greetings which
produces plantable greeting cards and other products. Marisha has a
small plant nursery which focuses on edible flowers and other gourmet
specialty food items. Marisha graduated from the Evergreen State College
in 1998 where she focused on ethnobotany, ecological agriculture, and
sustainability studies. She continues to interact with students from the
Evergreen State College by offering internships. More info at
http://www.herbnwisdom.com/Bio.php

RELATED EVENT AT EDENDALE FARM IN SILVERLAKE, 2131 Moreno Dr.,  Los
Angeles 90039

Saturday August 8, 2009 from 9 am to 3 pm.
Grow Your Own Healing:  Herbal First Aid Kit for Emergencies
with
Marisha Auerbach (see bio above)

Please join us for a workshop to learn about herbal plants to use for
first aid.  We will be identifying and planting medicinal herbs that
support our immune systems, prevent infection, aid digestion, heal
wounds, and nourish our skin.  Afterwards, we will discuss how to craft
these herbs into medicinal preparations for first aid kits.  We gather
in community to build resilience and inspiration for meeting our needs
locally in celebration of the green world.

Fee:                    $30.00 includes hand outs.
Registration:  Advanced registration required. 323/325-8663 and leave
message or email David Kahn at david at sustainablehabitats.org

These two events with Marisha Auerbach are co-sponsored by Sustainable
Habitats and Edendale Farm and Learning Center in the Silverlake
neighborhood of Los Angeles, a permaculture demonstration project.

Edendale Farm Map:
http://maps.google.be/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2131+moreno+drive+los+angeles&sll=50.789714,5.558739&sspn=0.030331,0.077162&ie=UTF8&ll=34.097822,-118.267565&spn=0.009933,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=A