[Scpg] Graywater code in CA updated

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 22:19:19 PDT 2009

This is from another list, I haven't verified any of the info...

Yesterday the Building Standards Commission voted to pass the new
California greywater code (Chapter 16 in the CA Plumbing Code).

This was passed as an emergency measure due to the drought and water
shortages faced in the state.

The code will be going through a public review process for the next 45
days. The opposition (the plumbing union, and some building officials)
will be writing in negative comments about the code. People who support
having a simple, safe, and accessible code will also need to write in
comments to help ensure the code is not changed during the comment period.

We'll send you more info in the upcoming weeks about how to provide input
into this process.

Thanks you again to everyone who has written and called in to the
Department of Housing and Community Development to share your view point.
They listened and responded in this new code. We couldn't have done this
with out the huge amount of support for simple greywater regulation coming
from you all.

Importantly, the CA department of Public Health spoke in full support of
the code, citing water shortages and degrading quality of fresh water
being a much greater health concern than any potential issue with
greywater.

Lastly, local jurisdictions will be allowed to make greywater more
restrictive, which many will want to do. Now is a good time to start
conversations with your cities and counties about how they can help
support safe and accessible reuse of greywater.

Summary of the new code (as it's written now)
*no permit needed for a washing machine system if the system followed
health and safety guidelines outlined in the code
*no permit for a singe fixture (one shower) if guidelines are followed
*mulch basins allowed (instead of gravel)
*other systems are separated into "simple" and "complex" depending on the
quantity of water. There are less requirements for "simple" systems.
*depth of discharge is 2 inches under mulch (it used to be 9" under dirt)