[Scpg] Marisha Auerbach in Los Angeles- 2 events

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Aug 1 23:08:11 PDT 2009

Friday, August 7 at 7:30 pm at L.A. Eco-Village        Seedsaving as
an Activist Practice
with
Marisha Auerbach

Seedsaving gives us the unique opportunity to dance with life and
play a distinct role in our nourishment.  We can nurture plants for
the special qualities that may sustain us in an uncertain future.
As corporations attempt to take control of our genetic diversity,
seed saving becomes an important political act.  Come join us to
learn how you can take responsibility for your own food supply by
saving your own seeds from your garden.  We will be discussing
harvest of cultivated and native seeds as well as flowers and
vegetable crops.  Seed saving is a great localizing buffer against
the globalization of our food supply, because it encourages diversity
and increases the resilience in our gardens to pests and diseases.

Fee:                     $10 (self selected sliding scale ok)
Reservations:   Required.  Call 213/738-1254 or 323/325-8663 or crsp at igc.org

About Marisha Auerbach

Marisha Auerbach has been practicing, studying, and teaching
permaculture in the Pacific Northwest for the past decade. She is
involved with many communities around Cascadia including Lost Valley,
Tryon Life Community Farm, and City Repair. As an itinerant
permaculture designer, Marisha calls the greater Olympia area home,
especially the Wild Thyme Farm, a 150 acre permaculture demonstration
farm and FSC certified forest in the northern Willapa Hills.

Marisha encourages sustainable futures through sharing knowledge with
others on a variety of topics including: permaculture, polyculture
gardening, flower and gem essences, local economics, community
building, ethnobotany, herbalism, edible landscape design, and
organic gardening among others. She is enthusiastic about creating
perennial forage systems and building local community as a response
to peak oil.
Marisha's interest in local economics and creating useful items using
her resources has manifested as several projects: past work on local
community marketplaces in Olympia, Queen Bee Flower and Gem Essences,
Herb'n Wisdom for permaculture consulting and herbal products, and
Growing Greetings which produces plantable greeting cards and other
products. Marisha has a small plant nursery which focuses on edible
flowers and other gourmet specialty food items.

Marisha graduated from the Evergreen State College in 1998 where she
focused on ethnobotany, ecological agriculture, and sustainability
studies. She continues to interact with students from the Evergreen
State College by offering internships. More info at
http://www.herbnwisdom.com/Bio.php

RELATED EVENT AT EDENDALE FARM IN SILVERLAKE, 2131 Moreno Dr.,  Los
Angeles 90039

Saturday August 8, 2009 from 9 am to 3 pm.
Grow Your Own Healing:  Herbal First Aid Kit for Emergencies
with
Marisha Auerbach (see bio above)

Please join us for a workshop to learn about herbal plants to use for
first aid.  We will be identifying and planting medicinal herbs that
support our immune systems, prevent infection, aid digestion, heal
wounds, and nourish our skin.  Afterwards, we will discuss how to
craft these herbs into medicinal preparations for first aid kits.  We
gather in community to build resilience and inspiration for meeting
our needs locally in celebration of the green world.

Fee:                    $30.00 includes hand outs.
Registration:  Advanced registration required. 323/325-8663 and leave
message or email David Kahn at david at sustainablehabitats.org

These two events with Marisha Auerbach are co-sponsored by
Sustainable Habitats and Edendale Farm and Learning Center in the
Silverlake neighborhood of Los Angeles, a permaculture demonstration
project.

Edendale Farm Map:
http://maps.google.be/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2131+moreno+drive+los+angeles&sll=50.789714,5.558739&sspn=0.030331,0.077162&ie=UTF8&ll=34.097822,-118.267565&spn=0.009933,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=A