[Scpg] August Film (Seed Hunter) & Local Grub Night

Dervaes dervaes at pathtofreedom.com
Mon Aug 3 15:03:31 PDT 2009

How can we survive perhaps the greatest danger we now face - climate change?
Global Warming may be a contentious issue for many but there's no argument -
some areas of our planet that were once 'food bowls', abundant, fertile and
productive land, are now dust bowls where people scratch a living from the
dry soil and hope for rain.

What: Film Screening of SEED HUNTER & Local, Vegetarian Potluck

When: Sunday, August 23  (6:00 PM - 9:50 PM)

Where: 626 Cypress Ave, Pasadena CA

Cost: $10 (children under 12 are free) A small entrance fee is required to
help pay for facility rental, dvd screening fee, sound system, and purchase
of eco friendly compostable dinnerware

Space is limited so please RSVP by calling 626.844.4586 or filling out the
online reservation form at
http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2009/08/03/august-film-food-night

Event Schedule

6:00 PM - event starts / Freedom Gardens Swap N Meet

6:30 PM - 7:45 PM - local food potluck

8:00 PM - SEED HUNTER (50 minutes)

9:00 PM - discussion / pop quiz and win prizes!

9:30 PM - event ends

Film Details

Our planet is heating up and one of the first casualties will be the crops
that supply our food. Scientists are working overtime to find solutions
including going back to the ancestral origins of our staple foods.

Seed Hunter will take you on a remarkable journey from the drought ravaged
farms of Australia, to the heart of the Middle East, to the mountains of
Tajikistan where charismatic Australian scientist Dr Ken Street - a real
life version of Indiana Jones - and his team of 'gene detectives' hunt for
plant genes that will help our food withstand the impact of 21st century
global warming.

Along the way we meet farmers around the world who are struggling to grow
crops in a climate that's gone haywire, as well as scientists working at the
front line of gene technology to save tomorrow's food. At journey's end,
deep in the Arctic Circle, Ken deposits his bounty of seed in the newly
constructed seed bank known as the 'doomsday vault.'

Potluck

Bring something (preferably vegetarian) to contribute to the potluck - bring
enough food for yourself/family and a bit to share. The primary focus of the
'Locavore' potluck is to promote eating whole foods, in their nature-made
state, focusing on fresh food from local sources (or as local as possible)

If not FROM BACKYARD then locally produced.
If not LOCALLY PRODUCED, then Organic.
If not ORGANIC, then Family farm.
If not FAMILY FARM, then Local business.
If not a LOCAL BUSINESS, then Fair Trade.

Freedom Garden Swap N Meet

Join local homegrown revolutionaries - swap crops, seeds, expertise and
more.

Growing for 21st century food security, FreedomGardens.org is a free
interactive, online social community of gardening enthusiasts who are fed up
with foreign oil, frequent food miles and high food prices.

To reserve space for this event visit
http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2009/08/03/august-film-food-night or
contact 626.844.4586