[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] Fwd: EXXON, DOW SLAM NEW YES MEN FILM; OPENS IN U.K. THIS WEEK / trainings to become "yes men"

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Tue Aug 4 19:29:21 PDT 2009

see the trailer at
http://theyesmenfixtheworld.com/

Begin forwarded message:

> From: The Yes Men <mailing at theyesmen.org>
> Date: August 4, 2009 4:41:53 PM PDT
> To: info-hopedance.org <info at hopedance.org>
> Subject: EXXON, DOW SLAM NEW YES MEN FILM; OPENS IN U.K. THIS WEEK
>

> August 5, 2009
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> DOW, EXXONMOBIL SLAM NEW YES MEN FILM FOR "INACCURACIES",
> "MISREPRESENTATION";
> CONCEDE PIC "ENTERTAINING"
> U.K. theatrical premiere of "The Yes Men Fix the World" August 7,
> opens in U.S.
> theaters in October
>
>    Article: http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsnews/idAFN2448454320090726?rpc=33
>    Tickets, trailer: http://www.theyesmenfixtheworld.com/
>    Yes Men "Challenge" network: http://challenge.theyesmen.org/
>    Frequently asked questions: http://www.theyesmen.org/faq
>    Beyond Talk: http://www.beyondtalk.net/
>    Contact: mailto:press at theyesmen.org
>
> ExxonMobil and Dow Chemical spokespersons have lashed out out at
> award-winning new
> documentary "The Yes Men Fix the World" in an interview with the
> Reuters press
> agency, shortly before  the film's U.K. theatrical opening.
>
> "We think it is a serious matter when people willingly misrepresent
> themselves,"
> said a spokesperson for the world's largest oil company, responding
> to the film's
> airing on HBO last week. The film will be in theaters in the U.K.
> beginning this
> Friday, August 7, and in U.S. theaters in October.
>
> Exxon stopped short of calling the Yes Men outright liars, despite a
> scene in the
> film where the Yes Men, impersonating Exxon at a big oil conference
> in Canada,
> present the company's supposed solution to climate change: a new
> biofuel called
> Vivoleum, made from the human victims of climate change.
>
> "Exxon can't actually deny that their actions are threatening to
> kill off millions
> or billions," said Andy Bichlbaum of the Yes Men. "What else would
> they do with
> the victims?" (Also featured in "The Yes Men Fix the World" are
> interviews with
> members of free-market think tanks, until recently funded by Exxon,
> who promote
> inaction on climate change before Congress and through multi-million
> dollar
> advertising campaigns.)
>
> The film is no kinder to Dow Chemical, the world's second-largest
> chemical
> company. The film shows the Yes Men impersonating Dow live on the
> BBC before 300
> million viewers, announcing that Dow will finally compensate
> survivors of the
> Bhopal catastrophe and clean up the tainted groundwater left in its
> wake. The film
> contrasts this stark reality with Dow's "Dow Hu" advertising campaign.

> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Celebrating Transition, Opportunity and Resilience  •  2500 Oakview
Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edibleSLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2500 Oakview Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://www.wiserearth.org/group/edibleslo
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.