[Scpg] David Holmgren's preaching a green gospel August 5, 2009

Wesley Roe and PR Contact for Oasis Design/Greywater lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Aug 5 07:49:35 PDT 2009

David's preaching a green gospel
Sarah Hudson
August 5, 2009

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2009/08/05/100145_country-living.html
VISIT Daylesford and you might meet a giant of the green movement,
writes SARAH HUDSON
He is a prophet to many, with a world-wide following.
To others, he is an idealistic hippy, verging on the leader of a green cult.
But in Daylesford, he's just the bloke next door.
When David Holmgren co-created the permaculture movement in the
1970s, he never could have predicted the impact that his approach,
which focuses on environmentally-sustainable self-reliance, would
have on the globe.
"I've always played it pretty low key around here," says David, who
has lived in Daylesford since the 1980s.
"I might have a certain status in a particular network, but in a
rural community everyone sees you as just another bloke. I was a
blow-in to the older residents."
Clearly, though, there is nothing average about David, with his
creation more important now than ever.
For three decades he has preached the gospel of caring for the earth,
from the importance of a self-sufficient home vegie patch and
community connectedness, to the dangers of climate change,
diminishing natural resources and peak oil, the need for renewable
energy, and the effect of all this on the global economy.
In this way, permaculture has come to mean both an ecological design
system and a loose lifestyle ethic.
"Although there's a mixed understanding of permaculture, it does make
a big claim: it is still the best framework out there for dealing
with unfolding global issues, from climate change to the economic
crisis," he says.
"Permaculture has stood the test of time. It is alive and evolving,
it's not fixed.
"The fact is when you live a self-reliant lifestyle you are doing the
biggest and best thing to reduce your impact on the globe."
And apparently global citizens have been listening.
The book that started the movement, written by David and co-founder
Bill Mollison - Permaculture One, published in 1978 - has been
translated into six languages.
The eighth international permaculture conference was held in Brazil
in 2007. The next will be in Africa, this year.
Zimbabwe has 60 schools designed using permaculture, while the system
was used to redevelop Indonesian towns devastated by the 2004 tsunami.
 From Thailand to Cyprus, France to the United Kingdom, permaculture
communities have flourished.
The word permaculture even exists in the Macquarie Dictionary.
"In many ways permaculture is much more extensive in other countries
than it is here. The US and UK are the biggest, and Brazil and India
have a lot," David says. "But in Australia more than anywhere else,
permaculture has spread broadly into society.
"Here it is an agent of positive influence that's not necessarily
labelled permaculture, but it's seen in everything from city farms
and community gardens to Landcare and eco-villages."
As for his own involvement in the movement, he describes it as
"ambiguous". "Even though I was the co-creator of the concept, in the
earlier years I didn't have a lot to do with its spread," he says.
"Today I am just one of many permaculture elders who might be seen to
represent permaculture. Its organisational structures were always
loose, more of a network than an organisation."
David grew up in suburban Perth and says from the outset he was
free-thinking. "My parents were politically radical. They taught me
to question what I was told," he says.
After finishing school he travelled around Australia and ended up in
Hobart, attracted by an environmental design course that had no fixed
curriculum or timetable.
It was here he met Bill Mollison, whom he credits as being the
charismatic driving force behind the permaculture movement.
After penning Permaculture One, David was largely involved with the
development of small-scale permaculture projects around Australia,
including his own home in Daylesford.
He has since divided his time between public speaking, his
consultancy firm and extensive writing.
In 2002 he published the successful Permaculture: Principles and
Pathways Beyond Sustainability and has published numerous e-books on
the internet, including Future Scenarios: Mapping the Cultural
Implications of Peak Oil and Climate Change, set to be published in
the US later this year and being launched in Daylesford on August 9.
Among his many current projects is a survey of local food producers -
as part of his Hepburn Relocalisation Network - which aims to promote
the area's produce.
David says the movement has had its share of detractors, adding that
he is often its chief critic.
"I'm always wanting to break down the movement's dogma, trying to get
away from the toolkit approach - that it's only about passive solar,
chook sheds and sheet mulching.
"Permaculture is a design system that encourages a deeper level of
thinking to apply to any situation.''
Given that he's been preaching for three decades on the growing
urgency of humanity's unsustainable consumption, is he optimistic
about the future?
"I think it's a mix of optimism and pessimism.

"Permaculture has always been informed by a dire view of the state of
the world.
"But it's always been focused on what you can do about it.
"I think recent events are providing an opportunity for people to see
what is important, that relationships with people and a sense of
connectedness with the community is more vital than possessions and
consumption.''

	*	CHECKLIST
	*	Future Scenarios will be launched at the Daylesford
Inn, Ballan Road, Daylesford on August 9. Monthly tours of David's
home will begin on September 6. For details of all events, visit
holmgren.com.au Farmers interested in the Hepburn Relocalisation
Network survey can email HRN at holmgren.com.au

Weekly Times is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Driving force: David Holmgren describes himself as an elder of the
permaculture movement. Pictures: Zoe Phillips

		Dalgety dodged The Lodge
		Visit The Weekly Times at Speed
		The couple who carve it up
		Who do you think you are?