[Scpg] a wild idea...

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 14:01:13 PDT 2009

Larry and I were brainstorming this morning about local food security and
we thought about acorn, the freely-available, ubiquitous native protein
source  that we waste 1000s of pounds of each year here on the South Coast.

There has been a lot of talk over the years on these and other lists about
how the Chumash harvested and processed acorn (and some still do), but many
of  us got discouraged by how difficult and lengthy the processing is and
how we no  longer have the fresh, clean streams to remove the tannins. The
traditional  methods seemed to require a whole community, lots of time, plus a
pristine  environment.

So we wondered... what if some clever permaculture or food tech person
could come up with plans for an updated version of the traditional process?
Perhaps a community-owned, sustainable acorn processing facility?  Not  an
easy technical problem, but we've put people on the moon so surely this  can't
be beyond us if we put our minds to it?  Such a facility would also  provide
sustainable local jobs and would qualify as what the Transition  Initiative
folks call a "Transition Industry."  The trick is how to do the  processing
without excessive water use -- or find a way to use the water that
contains the tannins for another use?  And also how to turn the processed  acorn
into products that the factory can also make or that local cooks would be
eager to use -- for flour, in soups, baked goods etc?

Also, in the past, Loren Luyendyk had the clever idea of grafting
less-tannin oak varieties onto our native coast live oaks for an  easier-to-process
acorn.  This might allow us to do much less  processing.

Can we come up with a method that both respects local indigenous traditions
 and highly productive native food plants like oak, but applies modern
know-how  to the processing so we can once again enjoy the benefits of this
high-protein  local food that is so productive and easy to grow in our area?

All ideas welcome!

Linda