[Scpg] The Ash Testing Project

lfunkhouser at juno.com lfunkhouser at juno.com
Sat Aug 22 09:34:50 PDT 2009

Smoke Getting to You?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Within the past two years, those of us living in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Ventura Counties have been repeatedly exposed to smoke and ash from wildfires. Have you or anyone you know been affected by smoke or ash from the recent fires? As the La Brea Fire winds down, we have a brief window of opportunity to collect ash samples within the next week and have them tested to find out what, if any, toxic substances we may have been exposed to.

The Ash Testing Project

Why is this project important? Because the back country has not burned in 75-100 years, during which time the widespread use of the automobile came into being along with the use of pesticides/herbicides/fungicides, and illegal marijuana growing, which can utilize RoundUp. The Los Padres Forest is also a historic center of industrial mercury mining. Recent research has shown that naturally occurring mercury is sequestered by plants and trees and released into the air in large amounts during wildfires in California.

We simply don’t know what naturally-occurring toxics or manmade chemicals have found their way to the Los Padres Forest and whether we have been exposed to any/all of these toxic chemicals via the ash from wildfires. That’s why we want to test the ash at a leading state-approved laboratory that is an expert in organic and heavy metal testing.

The test results will be given to the Pesticide Awareness and Alternatives Coalition (PAAC) of Santa Barbara and made public.

Sample Collection Participation (samples due 8/28/09)

Join the fun with a minimum time investment! If you would like to assist collecting one or more ash samples by Friday, August 28, 2009, please contact Laura Funkhouser at lfunkhouser at juno.com or 805-692-1965 and follow the sample collection protocol below. If you provide a usable ash sample you will be personally provided with the test results.

Ash Testing Sample Collection Protocol

What you will need to collect each single sample for the project:
Locate clean ash to collect that is relatively free of dirt or other contaminants such as leaves or plant matter – the purer the ash sample the better – see details below
Note on multiple location sampling: If you want to provide a sample for more than one location please use locations far apart or at least from different neighborhoods.
2 Ziploc sandwich bags for each ash sample plus a practice bag if needed
2 pairs of non-powdered nitrile gloves for each ash sample (free gloves are at Federal Drug, see details below) plus an extra pair for practice
Masking tape and non-smear pen to identify the location, date, ash (see detail below)
A large Ziploc or sealable bag to place the sample bags into when finished
Ash sample collection protocol:

1)      Free non-powdered nitrile gloves are available at Federal Drug at Loreto Plaza in Santa Barbara (9am-6pm M-F; S 9am-2pm; Sun closed). Ask for Bill MacDonald the owner/pharmacist and tell him you are part of the Ash Testing Project. Take two pairs of gloves for each sample that you plan to contribute to the project and then take an extra pair for practice or in case you scratch the first sample like I did. If you are in North or SLO County, please contact Laura for how to get free nitrile gloves nearer to you at 692-1965.
2)      You will need to collect about a quarter to a half a teaspoon of ash. Purity of the sample is more critical than quantity.
3)      Put on the non-powdered nitrile gloves and carefully brush the ash into the first Ziploc bag with your gloved hand. You will know the ash is pure if it turns to a fine powder when you start brushing it into the bag and you will need to patiently work the ash into the bag. If you can find a nice pile or piles of ash, that is easiest. If you get a lot of dirt or plant material with your ash, try another spot with a clean set of gloves and new Ziploc bag and toss the previous bag. An ashy corner of a clean patio (or under flowerpot saucers) is ideal. Remove and discard your gloves and repeat this procedure for the second Ziploc bag. We need two bags of ash with about 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of ash each for each location that you sample. Repeat this procedure for the second Ziploc bag with a fresh pair of gloves. We need two bags of ash for each location that you sample.
4)      Label each Ziploc bag on masking tape and non-smudge ink with the following:
Date of collection, location (address, city, zip, neighborhood or neighborhood, city, zip), and La Brea Fire Ash.
5)      Put your samples into a larger Ziploc bag or a sealable bag. Include your name and phone and/or email so you can receive the test results.
6)      Arrange for pick-up/drop off of your sample by contacting Laura at 692-1965 or lfunkhouser at juno.com .

Thank you for your help!