[Scpg] Wed., Sept. 16 in SB: Mark Lakeman of City Repair in Portland, Oregon

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Aug 25 05:46:53 PDT 2009

Please help get the word out! to any and all community organizers and
neighbors who would like to create an even stronger community spirit
in Santa Barbara. Mark Lakeman and www.cityrepair.org has been very
influential in my work with nurturing Neighborhood Garden Exchanges
and www.sbfoodnotlawns.org

This is not about reinventing all we are doing but perhaps encourage
ways to strengthen, share and further connect all we are doing.

Let me know if you or anyone you know would like to have a table that
shares their community work.

Thanks!

Lynn

www.sbfoodnotlawns.org

Press Release

Can copy, add to, use/PR City Repair Project Talk,

September 16, 2009

Contact: Lynn Seigel-Boettner

SB Food Not Lawns and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

(805) 966 6522

Lynn at sbfoodnotlawns.org

City Repair Project,
A Street Corner Revolution
Slide Show & Talk with Mark Lakeman
Wednesday, September 16, 2009, 7:00 PM
Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery
Donation $10

         Join visionary architect Mark Lakeman as he inspires and
guides the grid structure of a typical American city into a vital
social commons with Portland's City Repair Project
(<http://www.cityrepair.org/> www.cityrepair.org ), with a lecture
and slide show on Wednesday, September 16, 7:00 PM.

         Now a national movement, City Repair is about cities, towns,
grids and the intersections where our lives can converge.
Multidisciplinary, City Repair combines architecture, urban planning,
anthropology, community development, public art, permaculture and
ecological design in projects that transform public space. Formed in
1996, City Repair was conceived as an "anti-virus" to combat
isolation and over-commodification of conventionally designed cities,
by literally inserting villages into cities.

         Trained as an architect, Mark Lakeman is a founding member of
the City Repair Project, and the creative director of the ecological
design firm Communitecture. Each Spring he coordinates the Village
Building Convergence, an annual event sponsored by the city of
Portland that brings architects, planners, and artists together for
ten days of concentrated work with neighborhood residents and
volunteers. He has traveled extensively in southern Mexico where his
inspiration for community living came from living with traditional
Mayan peoples.

         The lecture and slide show take place on Wednesday, September
16,  at 7:00 PM for a donation of  $10, no reservations are needed.
It will be held at the Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner
Gallery, 40 E. Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara, CA.  For more
information email lynn at sbfoodnotlawns.org.

Santa Barbara Food Not Lawns, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network and
Hope Dance sponsor the event.