[Scpg] more on "Integral Ecology," a paradigm-shifting book...

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 08:29:23 PDT 2009

I am plowing my way through the "Integral Ecology" material I could
download at _http://www.integralecology.org/explore_
(http://www.integralecology.org/explore)  (click  on right side of page) and was really happy to see the
multiple inclusions of  ecopsychology, ecotherapy, terrapsychology and
permaculture as  legitimate branches of the field of ecology (you can download
the  book's appendix as well as sample chapters.)

It's really cool and a bit mind-blowing to see ecopsych, ecotherapy and
terrapsych finally acknowledged as part of the field of ecology, for
"interior" stuff has been marginalized for so long in the world of reductionist
science that focuses exclusively on observable exteriors.  For that alone  the
book deserves a lot of credit.

Permaculture also gets its due, with acknowledgment of the work of  Bill
Mollison, David Holmgren and Toby Hemenway ("Gaia's  Garden").

I read the definition of ecopsychology in the appendix and while it's true
that it credits "Voice of the Earth" by Roszak as the beginning of
ecopsychology, it does also mention that the field "has its roots in  early uses of
the wilderness for psychological transformation in the 1960s" and  talks
about Andy Fisher's book "Radical Ecopsychology" as well as the
Roszak/Gomes/Kanner anthology "Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth, Healing the  Mind."
(I know some of you have a different view of the origins of  ecopsychology,
so perhaps a note could be sent to the authors for future  editions,
correcting the error?)

This book is a fascinating read. I was trained in systems theory and  think
that integral theory could offer the next big paradigm shift.   Whatever
one thinks of Ken Wilber's work overall, it's clear that this  integrative
approach, when applied to specific fields like ecology and the  environment,
allows a much broader and more holistic view than the previous  methods.  It
also offers inspiration for a much wider and more  comprehensive (hopefully
more effective) approach to environmental  activism.

Linda Buzzell