[Scpg] FWD: The Carbon Economy - what it is, why it's important and how we can be involved

John Calvert jc at virtualtribes.net
Sat Aug 29 23:39:10 PDT 2009

  *
Carbon Economy Courses - Intensive Practical Series
OCT 19 - DEC 11, 2009
**Location:  Near Santa Barbara, CA
**Convenors:  Quail Springs & Orella Ranch

**http://www.carboneconomysb.com*

    *The Carbon Economy - what it is, why it's important and how we can
    be involved
    *

*"....We have a breakdown in the Carbon cycle as much of the Carbon in
our soils has be excised to the air and seas. Generations of farmers
have found that their biggest crop -- topsoil, has been lost, more
recently due to the manipulation of soil carbon levels by artificial
nitrogen application. Our entire land-based systems are becoming Carbon
poor.  Yet, we have a unique opportunity to revitalize our communities
and societies through the building of a Carbon rich landscape.  We have
the technical means to do so, we just need support.  Largely that
support comes from localization: marketing & value-adding our products
locally and directly to gain the support for building Carbon rich
systems and be paid to do so.*

*Waiting for Carbon Trading payments or other 'money from thin air'
schemes will not build a Carbon rich economy: people and communities
doing it ourselves will...*

*What would a Carbon Economy look like? What would Carbon rich
landscapes and farms look like?  These answers and more will be found at
the upcoming Carbon Economy Course in Santa Barbara which pulls together
the world's leading Carbon Economy practitioners: people who are
devoting their lives to building Carbon rich agricultural systems and
economic structures and who have the proven and practical know-how to
have producers and their advisors do the same in an economically robust
manner. We look forward to your participation in this important event
this Fall 2009 in the Santa Barbara area....." *
*
- Darren Doherty, Carbon Economy Courses originator*

    *The Courses*

*The Carbon Economy Courses offer approaches that not only benefit the
environment -- yet also materially and financially benefit the farmer,
rancher, land manager, citizen and community.   October 19 thru December
11, 2009 brings an all-star lineup of instructors, farmers, scientists,
and land managers to the Santa Barbara area to share their experience
and knowledge with fellow farmers, ranchers, business people and
citizens from around the region and nation.*

/"We've been growing 100% organic pistachios for 18 years in Santa
Barbara County and selling them in local farmers' markets and throughout
the U.S. Our business depends on the health of our soils and
environment. These courses... offer an important opportunity for the
farming and agricultural community to stay on the cutting edge of the
quickly evolving world of soil health, environmental protection and
financial health of family farms."/ - Gail and Gene Zannon, Santa
Barbara Pistachio Company, California

/"The funny thing is that many people still don't know that livestock
are the best tool we have to manage these rangelands...We've see
riparian areas (creek and river bankds) on every single ranch grow in
health as measured by vegetation cover, cleanliness of the water,
perennial plants...so now we have a beautiful expanding wetland; we have
oak trees that were not there...we have lots of diverse vegetation and
perennial grasses."/ - Joe Morris, TO Cattle Company, California

*READ MORE...
*