[Scpg] is ice plant a good edible permaculture plant?

John Valenzuela johnvalenzuela at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 6 02:30:20 PDT 2009

Linda, your useful information and propositions concerning iceplant have really got me going on a little rant here!

Iceplant is barely edible to me, definitely not a 'good edible permaculture plant'. Our grandparents may have found iceplant quite useful, but many of them were not aware of the value of native plants in thier ethnobotanical and wildlife habitat functions, as many of us are still not aware of today.

Wow! With all the useful, uniquely native, and other relatively non-invasive plants to promote, are we entertaining the idea of planting something that we all have all observed spreading locally and creating huge monocultures, even taking over some relatively stable native coastal plant communities? OK, it may be a very interesting and useful plant, but it doesn't mean we have to plant it, to use it- Don't we have enough of it to use already? From my perspective, planting iceplant would be a lazy choice. For others, do the cost/benefit analysis and compare to other plant options (and combinations) to see what your best choices might be.

from the website you linked to (http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/carpobed.htm):
Conservation status
Carpobrotus edulis is not regarded as threatened in its native habitat, but it is invading natural areas in other parts of the world and threatening the survival of other species. In California, where it has been used since the early 1900s to stabilize the soil along railway tracks and roadsides and as a garden ornamental, it has naturalized and is invading coastal vegetation from north of Eureka to Rosarita Bay. It is known as the highway ice plant in the USA.

from another source:
There is evidence that iceplant also competes indirectly with native species. It has been reported that iceplant can lower soil pH and also affect the root morphology of some native shrubs (D'Antonio, 1990a; D'Antonio and Mahall, 1991). It is also possible, because iceplant does not seem to be palatable to most native herbivores, that its presence could increase browsing pressure on native flora and influence the species composition of herbivorous fauna. (3) Invasion by the alien succulent, C. edulis , has become a common occurrence after fire in maritime chaparral

also see:
(http://www.cal-ipc.org/ip/management/ipcw/pages/detailreport.cfm@usernumber=25&surveynumber=182.php)

I am definitely not suggesting that I only use natives in my plantings, but come on! Let's be a little more creative than planting something that can actually lower bio-diversity, like ice plant does!

Now having gotten all that out, Thank you for all the useful information on iceplant, as I am actually quite interested in the many uses of locally invasive (well adapted), or overly planted, seemingly useless landscape plants, (such as Agapanthus, or the various shrubs known as Broom). Considering all the qualities that were noted, perhaps it's economic values can be used as an incentive to harvest and remove it, to fund replacement with a more diverse, locally unique, and productive assembly of plants. If the plant selection criteria is to have some fire resistant, good tasting fruit and medicinal uses, how about some diversity plantings, starting with native prickly pear and some Aloe spp., Agave spp., and so many others. . .?   Rather than more of the same old-monoculture, lets plan for more diversity and complexity of relationships!

be fruitful-
John V.

Cornucopia Kitchen Gardens and Food Forests
John Valenzuela
Permaculture Services
Horticulturist, Consultant, Educator-

California, Hawai'i