[Scpg] is ice plant a good edible permaculture plant?

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Sep 7 08:47:53 PDT 2009

Thanks, John, for your thoughts on this.  I'm hoping to get a little
discussion going on this topic, as I wonder if some of our current thinking on
invasive species and native plants might not be worth a second look from a
permaculture point of view.

With climate change, the range of our native species is already shifting
and in our permaculture and garden designs we'll be needing to include
species  that can perform many functions for us, including vigor and edibility.
Here in our area, the native species would probably not feed the current
population even if the climate were stable, so looking around for
permaculture-friendly species is, I think, a worthwhile endeavor.

Of course iceplant may not pass the tests of desirability, but so far apart
 from the idea that it might displace native species, I've not heard too
many  good arguments against it apart from criticisms of its taste.  My own
research found that one could make "delicious" jam from  its fruits -- is
this not true?  Also apparently some species of iceplant are more tasty  than
others, so as with any edible plant, we'd need to select for taste.

If iceplant isn't the succulent of choice (and in our increasingly dry
climate we definitely can use some succulents for various purposes, including
living, moisture-retaining mulch), can someone recommend another succulent
that is edible and easy to grow?

I was especially intrigued with the idea of using it for green roots
because of its shallow roots.  If nothing else, it might offer excellent
insulation, and on a roof it certainly isn't displacing native plants!

Thanks for the good discussion,

Linda

In a message dated 9/6/2009 2:30:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,