[Scpg] -SBOrgGdn- Re: is ice plant a good edible permaculture plant?

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Tue Sep 8 08:04:59 PDT 2009

Thanks Marshall, Loren and John -- good discussion and helps me think this
through in a permaculture way, weighing the plant's pros and cons...

One question: I wasn't clear if the taste comments were about the  actual
fruit of the iceplant? Has anyone tasted it as jam as the  Australians
recommend?  I know that we have fruit in our garden (quince,  for example) that
tastes terrible raw but is delicious cooked or as part of a  cooked fruit
sauce.

I hadn't really taken the prickly pear seriously as a food crop  until a
garden club member from the Middle East introduced us to the delicious  fruit
(tunas) and properly-prepared young pads. This is another plant many
consider a pest on California hillsides. We got a pad of Luther Burbank's
thornless cultivar up at his historical homestead in Santa Rosa, and wonder if
this could be a great local food source.

Linda

In a message dated 9/7/2009 11:09:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,