[Scpg] What's next? An award to Monsanto for putting up solar panels on its roof?

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 10:42:30 PDT 2009

Green Program Certifies Five Local Businesses  [including McDonald's]
http://www.noozhawk.com/noozhawk/article/090909_green_program_certifies_five
_local_businesses/
By Frances Gilliland
The businesses are recognized for saving resources  while saving money
The _Green Business Program of Santa Barbara  County_
(http://www.greenbizsbc.org/)  announced Wednesday the certification of five local businesses,
including _Movegreen_ (http://www.wemovegreen.com/)  in  Goleta, _Santa
Barbara Airbus_ (http://www.santabarbaraairbus.com/)  in Goleta, _Le Reve Organic
Day  Spa_ (http://le-reve.com/)  in Santa Barbara, _Silvergreens
Restaurant_ (http://silvergreens.com/)  on Chapala Street in  Santa Barbara and
_McDonald’s_ (http://www.mcdonalds.com/)  on State Street in Santa  Barbara.
The Green Business Program is a countywide effort partnering local
governments, special districts, nonprofits, utilities, chambers of commerce and
waste haulers. It offers certification for businesses in the office/retail,
restaurant, automotive and lodging sectors. In the coming year, other
business  types will be added to the program.
The Green Business Program certifies businesses that go above and beyond
complying with applicable regulations and required measures to implement
additional actions in areas such as waste reduction and recycling,
environmentally preferable purchasing, energy efficiency and conservation, water
conservation, air pollution prevention and transportation using a checklist
tailored to their industry type.

The program is free, voluntary and offers assistance and incentives,
including an official Green Business certification decal and free promotion upon
completion of the required and recommended actions. The goal of the program
is  to help businesses become models of sustainability, while saving money
and  enhancing the environment.
“This group of businesses represents a wide range of outstanding locally
owned enterprises,” program director Frances Gilliland said. “From green
building and water conservation to biodiesel-powered trucks and educational
campaigns for customers, these companies are benefiting our community and
saving  money at the same time.”
Movegreen Inc.
“The Green Business certification is great because it reinforces and
supports  our business ideals and what we have fought so hard to create,” partner
Patrick  Wilkinson said. “It has also helped refine our company and
establish goals for  future improvements in our business services and practices.”
Movegreen is a full-service moving company in Goleta. All of Movegreen’s
trucks are new and run on B20 biodiesel, a blended fuel made of 20 percent
biodiesel and 80 percent petrodiesel. To reduce the waste of cardboard boxes
and  packing supplies, such as newsprint and bubble wrap, Movegreen reuses
and  recycles all packaging materials. It also offers reusable plastic
containers to  eliminate the use of cardboard boxes.
Movegreen has teamed up with _All Green Recycling_
(http://www.allgreenrecycling.com/)  to offer free  e-waste recycling and has partnered with the
international nonprofit _Trees for The  Future_ (http://www.treesftf.org/)  to
plant 10 trees with every move. The company also purchases carbon  credits
through _CarbonFund.org_ (http://www.carbonfund.org/)  to offset its
greenhouse  gas emissions from the tailpipes of their trucks and the electricity
consumed by  its office.
Movegreen also offers its employees innovative incentives for using
alternative methods of transportation, including a $25 rebate on the cost of a
bike purchased to commute to work.
Santa Barbara Airbus
“The program adds a new dimension to our company mission statement: ‘
Improve  our customers’ lives and our community through passenger transportation
services,’” administrative manager Margaret Clemency said. “The entire
staff has  embraced the challenge and new responsibilities with a zeal that
delivers  benefits far exceeding the costs.”
Santa Barbara Airbus, based in Goleta, is  a transportation company that
provides day trips, charters and scheduled service  to LAX and other regional
destinations. Each full bus or van takes cars off the  roads, thereby
reducing traffic and vehicle emissions.
The staff has embraced the Green Business Program by implementing measures
in  all areas of their operations. An Eco-Power Brush is used to decrease
water use  when washing the buses, and biodegradable soap also is used. In
addition, the  staff can earn cash rewards for using alternate forms of
transportation, and  Airbus participates in _Traffic Solutions_
(http://www.trafficsolutions.info/)  programs to  provide Emergency Ride Home services to
employees who ride-share.
To encourage employees to ride bicycles to work, Airbus provides on-site
bike  storage and shower and locker facilities. The company actively works to
reduce  the amount of paper it uses and has redesigned its day-trip calendar
from a  10-page glossy newsletter to a two-sided leaflet. Airbus employees
are required  to recycle everything possible, including scrap metal, and
they run a recycling  program for passengers.
Le Reve Organic Day Spa & Boutique
“The benefits of becoming a certified Green Business include the obvious as
 far as saving money on utilities, and then the bigger benefits like being
able  to spread the word, be part of a like-minded community, educate and
having that  great feeling of being pro active and making a difference at Le
Reve, in our  homes and in our world,” owner Shannon Neels said.
Le Reve was founded on the  philosophy of choosing organic and biodynamic
products. It offers a range of  skin-care products and services, and the
staff is dedicated to green purchasing,  including all paper products used in
the spa and in promotional materials.
The spa has switched to compostable water cups, and is continuously looking
 for new and better containers and packaging. Employees recycle all
possible  materials, and have recycling bins inside the spa to make recycling easy
for  clients and staff. As they update and remodel their space, they are
using  FSC-certified wood as well as salvaged materials. Le Reve employees are
encouraged to bike, carpool, bus or walk to work and can earn one paid
vacation  day per year by achieving goals set forth in the transportation
program.
Silvergreens, 791 Chapala St.
“Even though completing the certification was a great milestone for us as a
 company and restaurant, there are always areas to improve and learn more
about  making economically sound choices and sustainable business practices,”
operating  partner Brian Rocha said. “The Green Business Program helps in
being this local  resource for us, and that support serves as a great asset
to our team.”
Silvergreens is a locally owned restaurant with a goal “to be involved,
contribute and give back to our community.” The restaurant was designed to
Built  Green Santa Barbara standards, and achieved its highest certification
rating of  three stars.
The restaurant’s tabletops are made from local, reclaimed wood from fallen
trees. Much of the food-service equipment and appliances are _Energy Star_
(http://www.energystar.gov/)  certified,  and Silvergreens utilizes lighting
systems that are energy efficient. The  restaurant also has eliminated the
use of Styrofoam to-go containers, uses  biodegradable products and features
organic coffee from local coffee roaster _Green Star  Coffee_
(http://www.greenstarcoffee.com/) .
Management also developed a Commuter Benefit Package for their associates,
featuring a prize raffle for those who use alternative transportation and
offering pre-purchased bus passes to employees who choose to ride the bus to
 work.
McDonald’s, 3940 State St.
“Many small efforts can make a big impact, and we are proud of the results
we  have achieved through our partnership with the Green Business Program,”
owner  David Peterson said. “Our staff is learning at work what they can do
in their  personal lives to continue to make a difference, and we hope to
set an example  for other businesses in our community.”
Peterson and his staff have upgraded many fixtures in the restrooms,
including installing waterless urinals, and have upgraded the irrigation system,
thereby realizing significant monthly water savings. Energy-saving measures
 include installing new, energy-efficient hand dryers and an Energy Star
ice  machine. New recycling containers have been placed in front of and behind
the  counter. Used cooking oil is collected by a local company to be
converted to  biodiesel. Employees also now participate in a ride-sharing program
that  includes raffle prizes for those who don’t drive alone to work.
_Click here_ (http://www.greenbizsbc.org/)  for  more information and to
view a list of all certified Green Businesses.
— Frances Gilliland is program director of the _Green Business Program of