[Scpg] [hd-films-sb] Fwd: McDonald's honored by Green Business Program of SB County

bob banner info at hopedance.org
Thu Sep 10 11:17:48 PDT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

> From: LBUZZELL at aol.com
> Date: September 10, 2009 10:40:53 AM PDT
> To: sb-simplicity-circle at lists.riseup.net, sbogc at yahoogroups.com, sbfoodfuture at googlegroups.com
> , sbperm2006 at googlegroups.com
> Cc: info at hopedance.org, gmvye at pacbell.net
> Subject: McDonald's honored by Green Business Program of SB County
>
> This is a bad joke -- talk about ridiculous greenwashing.  The Green
> Business Program of Santa Barbara County has given an award to a
> local McDonald's because they've installed waterless urinals, energy-
> efficient hand dryers, an upgraded irrigation system and an Energy-
> Star ice machine.  If you find this absurd and an insult to genuine
> efforts towards sustainability, please consider registering a
> protest by contacting the program.
>
> What's next?  An award to Monsanto for putting solar panels on its
> roof?
>
> Linda
>
> Green Program Certifies Five Local Businesses
> http://www.noozhawk.com/noozhawk/article/090909_green_program_certifies_five_local_businesses/
>
> By Frances Gilliland
>
> The businesses are recognized for saving resources while saving money
>
> The Green Business Program of Santa Barbara County announced
> Wednesday the certification of five local businesses, including
> Movegreen in Goleta, Santa Barbara Airbus in Goleta, Le Reve Organic
> Day Spa in Santa Barbara, Silvergreens Restaurant on Chapala Street
> in Santa Barbara and McDonald’s on State Street in Santa Barbara.
>
> The Green Business Program is a countywide effort partnering local
> governments, special districts, nonprofits, utilities, chambers of
> commerce and waste haulers. It offers certification for businesses
> in the office/retail, restaurant, automotive and lodging sectors. In
> the coming year, other business types will be added to the program.
>
> The Green Business Program certifies businesses that go above and
> beyond complying with applicable regulations and required measures
> to implement additional actions in areas such as waste reduction and
> recycling, environmentally preferable purchasing, energy efficiency
> and conservation, water conservation, air pollution prevention and
> transportation using a checklist tailored to their industry type.
>

> The program is free, voluntary and offers assistance and incentives,
> including an official Green Business certification decal and free
> promotion upon completion of the required and recommended actions.
> The goal of the program is to help businesses become models of
> sustainability, while saving money and enhancing the environment.
>
> “This group of businesses represents a wide range of outstanding
> locally owned enterprises,” program director Frances Gilliland said.
> “From green building and water conservation to biodiesel-powered
> trucks and educational campaigns for customers, these companies are
> benefiting our community and saving money at the same time.”

> [...]

__________________
Bob Banner
Publisher & Director

HopeDance
Celebrating Transition, Opportunity and Resilience  •  2500 Oakview
Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.hopedance.org/cms
HopeDance at Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/hopedance
Follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/hopedance

edibleSLO: Celebrating Local Food, Farmers and Healthy Food in SLO
County
2500 Oakview Rd.  •  Templeton, CA 93465  •   805.434.3950
http://www.ediblesanluisobispo.com
http://www.wiserearth.org/group/edibleslo
http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/group/ediblesanluisobispo
Follow us on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/edibleslo

FiLMs, PRiNT & Web: info at hopedance.org / http://www.hopedance.org /
805.369-0203
TRANSITION:
Transition Initiative PORTAL: http://www.hopedance.org/cms/content/view/535/1
Transition CA: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/

Disclaimer:
The information we send out originates from reliable sources which we
believe to be accurate; but this cannot be guaranteed. We are not
responsible for any errors or omissions and we disclaim any liability
incurred as a consequence of any of the content.