[Scpg] What's next? An award to Monsanto for putting up solar panels on its roof?

John Valenzuela johnvalenzuela at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 11 02:50:40 PDT 2009

The basic question is then:

Is it good for a 'bad' business to do something good?

Is it good that WALMART is demanding all it's suppliers reduce product packaging by 50%, reducing landfill (see Adam Werbach's work there) while they displace local small businesses and don't support their workers well? I would say yes, and no.

How about some background on the Santa Barbara County Green Business Program. And what are the standards for certification?

The current Green Business Program of Santa Barbara County (GBPSBC) evolved out of the former
 Green Award Consortium, which from 1994 to 2007, gave 5 awards to local organizations every year to honor exceptional environmental commitment or innovation. The original consortium consisted of the following organizations.

    * Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District
    * Santa Barbara County Public Works Department, Resource Recovery & Waste Management Division
    * Santa Barbara County Public Works Department, Water Agency
    * Santa Barbara County Association of Governments, Traffic Solutions
    * Community Environmental Council
4 County governmental agencies and one environmental non-profit

Now the current GBPSBC has the following goals and objectives:

    * To promote environmental ethics in Santa Barbara County by preventing and reducing the pollution of the air, water, and soil;
    * To reduce consumption of our natural resources and minimize exposure to toxics;
    * To help businesses integrate environmental practices into their operations in a sustainable as well as profitable manner; and
    * To foster positive relationships among governmental agencies, the business community, and the public;

The goal will be to certify from 10 to 50 businesses each year as "green" businesses.
Wow, that's alot of businesses. I guess the standards can't be too strict!

See the restaurant standards from the SB County's Green Business Certification Program here:
http://www.greenbizsbc/gbp-restaurant-guidebookv2.pdf

Here is a Summary:

1. General Standards for all Businesses
Compliance Checks (health standards, stormwater, wastewater, air quality, Fire regulations)
Green Business Awareness
All above Manditory to do business in Santa Barbara County
Recertifications

2.Solid Wate Reduction and Recycling
General Waste Management, Hazardous Waste Management, Paper Waste Reduction, Other Waste Reduction

3. Environmentally Preferable Purchasing,
General Purchasing, Recyled Content Purchasing

4 Energy Conservation
Energy Mangement, Energy Conservation,

5 Water Conservation
Water Management, Water Conservation, Landscape and Irrigation

6. Pollution Prevention
General Pollution Prevention, Kitchen and Food Prep Areas, Chemical Pollution Prevention, Air Emissions Reductions

-end of summary

The details of these standards are pretty mild, nothing too radical or innovative. Cutting edge, it is not- but compared to what?  What are the standards for other communities?

The reality of the actual 'greeness' of this green business program is reflected in this greatly expanded list of it's partners, made up of  County and City Governments; water, and waste Agencies; Energy Utility, and Waste Corporations; and Chambers of Commerce. It still includes only one environmental nonprofit:

    *  City of Buellton
    * City of Carpinteria
    * Carpinteria Sanitary District
    * Carpinteria Valley Chamber of Commerce
    * Carpinteria Valley Water District
    * Community Environmental Council
    * Golden State Water Company
    * City of Goleta
    * Goleta Sanitary District
    * Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce
    * Goleta Water District
    * Goleta West Sanitary District
    * MarBorg Industries
    * Montecito Sanitary District
    * Pacific Gas & Electric
    * City of Santa Barbara
    * Santa Barbara County Energy Watch
    * County of Santa Barbara Waste Reduction
    * County of Santa Barbara Water Agency
    * Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District
    * Santa Barbara Region Chamber of Commerce
    * City of Santa Maria
    * Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce
    * City of Solvang
    * Solvang Chamber of Commerce
    * South County Energy Efficiency Partnership
    * Southern California Edison
    * Southern California Gas Company
    * Summerland Sanitary District
    * Traffic Solutions
    * Waste Management

You can see how the lonely environmental non-profit is now outnumbered by so many other interests. Yes, that's the Community Environmental Council, a great community based organization, now focused exclusively on eliminating the use of fossil fuels. See their web page (Resources to green your life, Business) that makes 8 suggestions for local businesses, including a mention of that waterless urinal now found at MacDonald's:
http://www.cecsb.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=121&Itemid=106

If there is a Green Business Program in the community, and the local MacD's successfully went through the process, and now is getting certified as a green business by those basic standards, big deal. Complaining about it not being green enough seems a waste to me. 'Green' has been compromised long ago, like 'Natural' was before that. Are we petitioning for higher standards for all green business certification? Do we raise the bar by creating our own, more stringent certification standards, that perhaps not many can really acheive?

This is happening with LEED standard for Green Building design (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, created by the US Green Bulding Council) taken to the next level of sustainability with 'The Living Building Challenge' created by the Cascadia Region Green Building Council.
see: http://www.ilbi.org/the-standard/version-1-3

Another example is organic farm certification. The National Organic Standards, which are being co-opted by the USDA and industry, are now just one in a variety of other standards that are now being recognized: Demeter Certification of Biodynamic Farming Methods, national standards by 'Certified Naturally Grown', or on a more local scale  near Missoula MT. is 'Homegrown Standards', see: http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/100/

For me it comes down to: just being a 'Santa Barbara Co. Certified Green Business' isn't good enough, is it? But I suppose any greening is better than none.  We certainly do need to address all the deeper problems: environmental, worker rights, and other community/social/health issues. The reality is that WALMART and MacD's are very successful businesses because they effectively serve the raw consumer demands (and addictions) for more and more cheap stuff. . . with true costs differed to other people, other places, and into the future. Now, people are starting to wake up and demand better choices.

My solution orientation: Let's continue to give folks better alternatives to the big boxes/fast food outlets by co-creating things, places and events which are more beautiful, delicious, healthy, diverse, efficient, productive, locally appropriate, profitable. . . emerging from, and building, better community.

Cornucopia Kitchen Gardens and Food Forests
John Valenzuela
Permaculture Services
Horticulturist, Consultant, Educator-

California, Hawai'i