[Scpg] -SBOrgGdn- Re: is ice plant a good edible permaculture plant?

loren luyendyk loren at sborganics.com
Mon Sep 7 11:08:19 PDT 2009

I see both sides of this argument.  I would say ice plant is a good "armageddon plant", one that we could resort to eating when/if all else fails... I have not taken the time to prepare Ice plant, but I have tasted it raw and my intuition is probly not too tasty.

I too would discourage planting any more unless it was used as a colonizer on loose soils, where it can be easily removed and used to build soil and terraces.  I have done this over the last 10 years at my Dad's house, removing an acre of the stuff...  The drawbacks is that the seeds can last a while and the plant harbors snails, lots of em (guess we could eat those too?)

It would be a good roof plant, since it grows so fast.  Bees love it too.  Alternatively, there are natives that may perform similar functions, like california fuschia or purple nightshade.

Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org