[Scpg] Urban permaculture course in Miami

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 1 15:27:29 PDT 2009

If you know of anybody in Florida/Miami area that might be interested in a great urban permaculture course, please forward this to them!

Miami Earth 'n Us Permaculture Design Course, Miami, FL, November 28 - December 13, 2009

Join us on a one square block sustainable site in the heart of urban Miami where we can transform what cities can be.
Learn
skills to live a regenerative, sustainable, joyful life in the city. We
offer many extras with our courses, including field trips and hands-on
experience.
In this course, you will learn:
	* How to grow an edible forest garden in your yard
	* How to raise animals for food in an urban environment - chickens, miniature goats, fish, etc
	* Small scale independence - apartment gardening, aquaponics (raising fish and veggies), etc.
	* Financial permaculture - creating right livelihood and sustainable economies
	* Using the waste stream to create abundance
	* Creating community - successful synergy
	* Retrofitting the urban environment for sustainability - buildings, transport, communities
	* Conserving energy and alternative energy strategies in the city
	* Water conservation - rain catchment, greywater, composing toilets, etc
	* Solutions for changing climates and disaster planning - food, water, energy security and more
	* The role of the arts and cultural diversity in a sustainable culture
	* Education in a sustainable society
	* Conscious design - how to design a sustainable system, whether in your own backyard, or an entire city
	* And much, much more
Field trips to be announced - we will take several trips to view local
examples of permaculture design and other sustainable systems in action
- seeing how these things work is worth one thousand words.
We gear the course toward student's needs and interests as much as
possible (though we do cover the core requirements, which you will want
to know!), and we offer individualized mentoring as time and course
size permits. We also do follow up career counseling, mentoring and
will soon feature projects of our graduates on our web site, all
included as part of the course fees. We use a holistic, experiential
educational approach which assists you to absorb the information and
make it a part of you, so that you can think with it in a variety of
situations, and start using it in your life immediately. Most of our
students feel that the information is life changing - the course
provides so many simple, beautiful solutions to problems that can seem
otherwise insurmountable.
Our courses are given in settings where they serve multiple functions -
not only educating people about permaculture design, but contributing
to worthy sustainable projects and creating beneficial connection
between many elements - people, environment, structure. The Miami
course will contribute to a very worthy project in a low income urban
area.
Graduates of the course will receive a professional permaculture design certificate.

For more info, see permacultureguild.us or write cory at permacultureguild.us