[Scpg] Off to Africa/Thanks for Supporting Ed Mendoza & Peter Murage/Follow us on IPC9 Blog

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Oct 10 20:21:52 PDT 2009

Thanks to all who gave so generously at our recent fundraising party
and event!

We had a very special evening with African influenced food by Carrie
Clough of Manzanita, authentic Ghana African music by Mike, and beer
donated by Telegraph Brewing Co. It was a warm balmy evening,
surrounded by friends, we shared an evening of food, music, fun, and
even outdoor movies!
We have raised $1600 so far to help send Ed Mendoza of Permaculture
de Atzlan, and Peter Murage of Mt.Kenya Organic Farms (MOOF), in
Kenya to the International Permaculture Convergence (IPC9) in Africa,
November 2009.  Thanks for your generosity of heart in sharing, even
in difficult economic times.
Our fundraising is ongoing, so please feel free to check our website
(www.sbpermaculture.org) to learn more about Ed  and Peter, and
contact info if you would like to contribute, $2500 is needed for
each to attend.  The two people we have selected to help are the most
worthy we could have possibly chosen.  Peter continues to work at his
Center in Nanyuki, Kenya without salary, his commitment to his
community and permaculture and what it can do that strong.  Ed grows,
and teaches to indigenous communities in southern Arizona, Baja and
beyond, funded mainly by his own efforts.  They have much to teach us
and the world.
The exchange of experience gathered from actual permaculture projects
around the world is pivotal to all Convergences, and with ever
evolving techniques, but also world changes, such as climate change,
it is essential that permaculture practioners come together every few
years to share and strategize.  This cannot be done on a virtual
level.  Convergences are not conferences, they are not for those just
learning about permaculture, but for those who are already
knowledgeable and practicing.  It is a chance for activists,
practioners, and teachers to learn more from each other, sharing an
incredible body of on the ground experience.
The IPC9 website (www.ipc9.org) will have a blog for those not able
to attend to follow what is being learned and shared.  There was an
attempt to provide "live interactive broadcast" so even the most
remote locations could participate with only the use of a laptop, but
the Malawi bandwidth for upload not quite up to the task
yet.  Technology is wonderful, but not always ready for all our
dreams.  We will try again for the next IPC so all may be
included.  Jill Cloutier of Sustainable World Radio, has offered to
do interviews from Africa, via Skype, and will be on her podcast
radio program at www.sustainableworldradio.com, thank you Jill!
Let's learn about the world, our very connected world,  through these
Convergences, they are a wonderful opportunity.  Thanks again for
your generosity, we appreciate it very much.

Margie Bushman & Wes Roe,
IPC9 Support Committee
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
www.sbpermaculture.org
IPC9 Conference & Convergence November 2-6, Malawi, Africa

Emacs!

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org