[Scpg] BfR's first workshop in the Ojai Valley

Julia Pfeifer growfoodpartycrew at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 13:44:12 PST 2009

You could send notifications to the South Coast Permacuture Guild list also scpg at arashi.com

________________________________
From: Carol B. Vesecky <cvesecky at igc.org>
To: dulanie at sbcglobal.net; Julia Pfeifer <growfoodpartycrew at yahoo.com>
Sent: Wed, November 4, 2009 3:29:55 PM
Subject: BfR's first workshop in the Ojai Valley

BfR's first workshop in the Ojai
Valley
Dulanie and Julia, great to see the new offerings! For sure we'll
attend Culinary Club; we'll see re GFPC that same morning.

Here are a few shots from our first Biointensive workshop and
later that day.  (Soon I'll send an update to the BfR
list.)

Cheers, Carol

Our
group was small and supportive. Garden volunteers at the St. Andrew's
GROW BIOINTENSIVE garden attended, plus a few others from the church,
plus a mother and daughter who want to start a garden but have no
experience. The French farmer in the straw hat (see below for a better
view) also supervised as best he could.

Standing
on a too-small "digging board," Irina reaches across the bed
to show the appropriate width as Franna, Patsy, and Kay look on. My
camera's battery unfortunately died at this point, so further
picture-taking awaited the arrival of another camera after the
workshop was over. However, trust me, we did also demonstrate compost
building, seed sowing, and transplanting.

Bonsoir,
Monsieur Paysan!

Irina is growing onions, lettuce, and garlic in this bed. A local
hula hoop factory provded the hoops that held up the shadecloth that
kept the squirrels and birds away when the seedlings were young. The
hoophouse will also be useful for keeping the plants warm as the
weather cools, and we may replace the shadecloth with plastic soon for
even more warmth.

Irina is gradually gaining confidence on the bike we recently
acquired for her use. She has not ridden in 30 years!