[Scpg] next Mon Nov 16 "Home-Scale Grain Growing in Santa Barbara"

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 10:00:46 PST 2009

On Monday, Nov  16th the Santa Barbara Permaculture Guild will offer a free
presentation  and discussion on "Home-Scale Grain Growing in Santa
Barbara," featuring well-known local garden  and farm expert Marshall  Chrostowski,
landscape manager of the Pacifica Graduate  Institute campus and market
garden and other local members with grain-growing  experience.

The event  will take place from 7 - 9 pm in the Holy Cross church
auditorium behind the  church at 1740 Cliff Drive in Santa Barbara, next to the Mesa
Fire  Station.

Marshall will talk about the  pros and cons of various summer and winter
grains for South Coast climate and  soil conditions, including oats, barley,
amaranth, quinoa, rice, spelt, heritage  wheats, etc. and how to obtain, grow
and harvest the best grains in  our area.

The meeting will include a  potluck -- please bring food/drink to share and
your own cup, plate, utensils  and napkin. We try to generate no trash!

We also hope to have brief  reports by local permaculture guild members on
the recent Bioneers conference  and the International Permaculture
Convergence that is meeting in Africa in  early November.

Linda