[Scpg] The Indigenous Science of Permaculture by Juliana Birnbaum Fox

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Dec 22 08:18:02 PST 2009

The Indigenous Science of Permaculture
http://www.cultureofpermaculture.org/blog/

Permaculture as Peaceful Revolution:indigenous
science builds a bridge between traditional and
modern worldviews
by Juliana Birnbaum Fox- first published in
Cultural Survival magazine, Spring 2009
Photos by Louis Fox

Global warming, widespread species loss and other
ecological crises have forced the world to wake
up to the necessity of a systems-level change in
order to avoid large-scale environmental and
social catastrophe. As the limits of
industrialization come to be more widely
acknowledged, there are signs that contemporary
culture is beginning to recognize the value of
indigenous science and its capacity to model
solutions to the world's most urgent problems.
Permaculture is a philosophy and design system
that integrates traditional knowledge with
appropriate technology, linking ancient and
modern approaches. As an indigenous science, it
can reconnect traditional people with ancestral
knowledge, as well as giving industrialized
societies a framework to meet their needs in a
more sustainable way.

Modern and traditional green technologies at Torri Superiore ecovillage, Italy
In New Orleans, experts contending with the
erosion suspected of weakening levees that failed
in Hurricane Katrina are turning to permaculture,
exploring a technique used for centuries by
traditional farmers in South India: vetiver
grass. Historically planted to mark borders and
help maintain moisture and nutrients in soil,
this ancient technology has been utilized
successfully over the past decade to clean up
toxic waste and prevent erosion in dozens of
countries. This is just one of thousands of
examples, from medical to social and ecological,
of indigenous science solving contemporary
problems.

Permaculture is a holistic, practical design
system that can be applied in a multitude of
ways, including food production, housing,
appropriate technology, and community
development. As a term it is relatively
new-developed in the 1970s by Australians Bill
Mollison and David Holmgren, whose work focused
on perennial farming practices that make use of
nature's patterns and relationships- yet the code
of ethics at the heart of permaculture is
timeless. Evoking permanent agriculture as well
as permanent culture, it is about cultivating a
regenerative relationship between people and the
earth, using techniques both old and new. Its
principles can be used to restore degraded
landscapes, create self-sustaining food
production cycles, and even significantly combat
global warming through soil building and no-plow
farming methods.
From its roots as an agro-ecological design
theory, permaculture has grown a large following
that continues to expand on the original ideas
through a network of trainings, publications,
permaculture gardens, and internet forums. With
projects in at least 75 countries around the
world, it has become both a design system and a
lifestyle ethic.

Indigenous Permaculture: "A Way of Cultural Resistance"

Pine Ridge, an Oglala Lakota(Sioux) reservation
in South Dakota, has long been associated with
intense native resistance-and violence. From the
atrocities of the Wounded Knee massacre to the
decades-long controversy surrounding Leonard
Peltier, it holds a unique place in the history
of indigenous struggle. Today Pine Ridge is
notorious for being the most impoverished
reservation in the United States, with an
adolescent suicide rate four times the national
average, unemployment around 80%, and many
residents without access to energy or clean
water. Although there is a good deal of
agricultural production on the reservation,
according to the USDA only a small percentage of
tribal members directly benefit from it.
Guillermo Vasquez, a Nahuat and Mayan activist,
leads Indigenous Permaculture, an organization
that is partnering with Pine Ridge residents to
develop a local food security project using
ecological design principles. The organization is
a cooperative of indigenous groups, including
Nahuat, Lakota, Shuar and Maya, and non-native
people. Its mission is to share indigenous
farming practices and apply environmentally and
culturally-appropriate technology, in a way that
builds capacity within the community.
"We see that people lack holistic support to
design and implement community food security
projects," reads the Indigenous Permaculture
mission statement. "The goal is to share
information, build relationships and establish a
local, organic food source for residents,
inspired by indigenous peoples' understanding of
how to live in place."
At Pine Ridge, Lakota project leader Wilmer
Mesteth has been leading the development of the
Wounjupi garden and of systems such as water
catchment and greywater recycling, seed saving,
and composting. The initiative sees local food
security as a path to confront poverty and health
issues such as diabetes, and is creating a
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. A
greenhouse has been built, medicinal plants are
being cultivated, and workshops are held for
residents on perennial agriculture techniques.
Last year, there was an excellent harvest, with
enough produce to give to families and elders in
the community, and even bring to share with an
elders gathering in Montana. While grasshoppers
destroyed many other crops on the reservation,
the Wounjupi garden saw little damage, probably
as a result of the permaculture technique of
planting flowers that attract beneficial insects
that prey on pests.
"We're seeing a major change in the soil due to
the addition of organic matter," Vasquez
reported. "It's much darker and richer, and the
vegetables are starting to grow really well." The
Pine Ridge project mirrors a program Vasquez
pioneered in his native Nahuat community in El
Salvador, both of which are also developing
reforestation initiatives, solar power, and water
purification systems.
The potential of soil building as a means to slow
global warming is an exciting aspect of
permaculture in practice. As a "carbon sink,"
soil holds carbon as organic matter, reducing
levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (the
cause of global warming). Allan J. Yeomans writes
in Priority One that if the soil fertility of the
Great Plains that was destroyed in the past 150
years were to be restored, atmospheric levels of
carbon dioxide would be reduced to close to
pre-industrial levels. On a global scale, the
same results would be achieved if organic matter
levels of the world's agricultural and grazing
lands were increased by 1.6%.
Vasquez spoke about permaculture as a new form of
activism and a healing process, describing the
movement as not just indigenous, but universal,
and educational, rather than political.
"Up until now, educators, universities- they
don't recognize indigenous science, and what
we're talking about in this program is indigenous
science," Vasquez explained.
"So what we're trying to do here is to share a
little about how people can make change, create
their own positive solutions to live."
Vasquez sees the potential of permaculture as a
universal philosophy that builds bridges between
contemporary and native cultures through
indigenous science. It also has the capacity to
strengthen alliances among native groups, both
through its network for traditional
knowledge-sharing, and as a common term for the
environmental ethic shared by aboriginal cultures
worldwide.
"Permaculture is a way of cultural resistance,"
he said. "Perhaps the way I plant trees or grow
food for my family is the way to create a real
green revolution and make change."

Permaculture in Israel: "We work the land
together instead of fighting about it"

Jews and Arab Bedouins learn permaculture together
Often described as a quiet revolution,
permaculture trainings have been held in hundreds
of countries worldwide. An innovative program in
Israel, called Bustan, directed by Bedouin
activist Ra'ed Al Mickawi, brings Arabs, Jews,
and Bedouins together for sliding-scale
permaculture courses. The course combines
teaching practical techniques in natural
building, water catchment, and traditional
agriculture with peace building.
"It is connected to peace, in that we work the
land together instead of fighting about it," said
Petra Feldman, a resident of Hava ve Adam, the
permaculture center that hosted the training,
where Israeli youth work for a year as an
alternative to military service. Her husband
Chaim Feldman, began a collaboration with
Palestinian farmers on traditional agriculture.
They have shared irrigation techniques ,
drought-resistant heirloom seeds, and other
permaculture practices that allow farmers with
restricted access to land to grow more
intensively in smaller spaces.
"The closest thing in the world to the principles
of permaculture I'm learning in this course are
the principles of traditional Bedouin culture,"
said Haled Eloubra, a Bedouin community leader
and green architect attending a Bustan course in
May 2008, speaking through a translator. "The way
that you approach nature, in a practical way.
Unfortunately, since we were moved to cities, it
has been difficult for us to continue in the old
ways. In winter in Bedouin culture, you sit by
the fire, cook, make tea, tell stories, and use
it for many things. Each family had a well that
collected rainwater and used it for the herd.
Near the house you'd have chickens, a dog,
camels, all living together as a system."
Eloubra plans to work on building a "green
kindergarten" when he finishes the permaculture
course. After getting his degree in architecture,
he decided he was committed to creating a
building that would be truly useful for his
community. He focused on what he felt was most
needed in the Bedouin settlements- educational
facilities- and realized kindergarten would be
the best place to start.
"I wanted to build using natural materials and
realized that mud building made the most senseŠ
In a community without power, it makes sense to
build with mud, whose natural insulating
qualities helps keep buildings cool in summer and
warm in winter. The building will be solar
powered, the water will be collected rainwater
and there will be a greywater system-it will be
an efficient, ecological building."
Bustan , the group that is partnering with
Eloubra to build the kindergarten, has organized
a number of successful projects involving
permaculture and indigenous empowerment over the
past ten years. They brought together five
hundred Jewish and Bedouin volunteers to build an
entirely sustainable, solar-powered medical
clinic, transformed a school dump into a
fruit-producing orchard as an educational
project, and founded a center for Bedouin
medicine which cultivates traditional herbs.
There is no doubt in Eloubra's mind that this
approach offers real answers to the environmental
and challenges faced by his Bedouin community,
and the planet as a whole.
"The solution for the world's problems today and
the diseases within it is to move in the
direction of permaculture," he asserted.

Avoiding Perma-colonialism

Indigenous Permaculture also offers its trainings
on a pay-what-you-can basis, open to any
participant who is willing to take the
information back home and put it to use. Through
networking with a variety of native communities
worldwide, the aim is to train a cadre of local
permaculturists who can share skills with their
neighbors.
"If you bring people from the outside the
community, they may not accept a 'permaculture
teacher.' People may come and take plants,
intellectual property, they never give back,"
Vasquez said. "This has gone on for too many
years. Indigenous people need to decide their own
destiny."

The issue of awareness of histories of
imperialism and traditional knowledge
appropriation is addressed by permaculture
teacher Robyn Francis, who has led trainings for
25 years in communities worldwide. She writes
about her experience in Indonesia teaching a
permaculture design course in 1999, where there
was concern among participants about whether "it
was just another kind of colonialism - an
Australian concept taught by an Australian
teacher."
"The risk is greatest when the teacher sees
permaculture as a kind of formulaŠ When this
happens then - yes - it's a new
perma-colonialism," Francis admits. "What I see
as being the most valuable thing about
permaculture, and the greatest challenge for a
permaculture teacher to teach, is the process of
lateral thinking and questioning, of developing
the art of analytical observation."

Cultures throughout the world that developed
stable, sustainable relationships with nature did
so through observation-a primary principle in
permaculture. This is the indigenous science
Vasquez speaks of, a deep integration with the
local ecology and awareness of natural patterns
and relationships.
Observation is the first step in the permaculture
design process, which suggests spending at least
year in careful examination of a landscape
through its seasons before making any changes to
it. Bill Mollison, often called the "father of
permaculture," worked with indigenous people in
his native Tasmania and worldwide, and credits
them with inspiring his work.
"I believe that unless we adopt sophisticated
aboriginal belief systems and learn respect for
all life, then we lose our own," he wrote in the
seminal Permaculture: A Designers' Manual. In a
more recent interview he spoke about how
permaculture bridges ancient and modern
worldviews.
"If I go to an old Greek lady sitting in a
vineyard and ask, 'Why have you planted roses
among your grapes?' she will say to me, 'Because
the rose is the doctor of the grape. If you don't
plant roses, the grapes get ill.'Š. [Then] I can
find out that the rose exudes a certain root
chemical that is taken up by the grape root which
in turn repels the white fly (which is the
scientific way of saying the same thing.)"
Mollison's perspective and the permaculture
movement connects old and new, lending a detailed
Western scientific understanding to traditional
agricultural practices developed through
indigenous methods, and proven by the test of
time. Can this "scientific gaze" function in a
way that does not colonize or appropriate
traditional knowledge for profit, but to spread
these practices for the benefit of many?
Histories of empire and forced assimilation into
industrial economies have alienated native people
from their culture worldwide, creating poverty
and environmental destruction. The irony of
'teaching' permaculture to people who
traditionally lived its principles is not lost on
Vasquez, who points out that when he teaches, he
doesn't always use the term. "We don't talk about
it as permaculture in the indigenous community
because we are talking about a way of lifeŠThey
practice it, and it works, that's it."
Francis is excited by permaculture's capacity to
reconnect people from traditional societies with
practices endangered by legacies of oppression.
"I have foundŠ that my students are exhilarated
with their awakening awareness of process and
creative thinking, and by having a framework of
principles of sustainability by which to look
afresh at their culture and measure the relative
sustainability of remaining traditions and
introduced practicesŠ. [There's] a fresh
enthusiasm to rediscover the traditional
practices, knowledge and wisdom that are rapidly
being lost."
"This is where permaculture has such a potential
to make a difference," writes Craig Mackintosh of
the Permaculture Research Institute in Australia.
"Part of what permaculture is about is getting
the greatest productivity from the least land and
labour. Traditional knowledge can be supplemented
with proven, applied designs that can improve
lifestyles whilst also building soil and natural
habitats. Giving youth a vision in this regard,
as well as educating them about the follies and
pitfalls of a westward highway, could see lives
being improved whilst maintaining culture and
ecology."
The Ka'ala Center has been practicing this type
of regenerative permaculture since before the
term was widely circulated, starting in 1978 as a
youth movement for water rights . Located in
Wai'anae on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, the area
has one of the largest native populations in
Hawaii, and was once a thriving, self-sufficient
community-the "poi bowl" or breadbasket, of the
region. Today it's nearly impossible to find any
food that's locally grown, and poverty and health
problems are rampant. Ka'ala receives 4000
visitors a year, mostly young people, teaches
traditional canoe and home construction skills
and has restored pre-contact kalo (taro)
pondfields. Founder Eric Enos sees this as a
revolutionary act essential to the survival of
his people, since according to the Kumulipo, or
creation chant, kalo is the elder brother of the
Hawaiian people.
Kina Mahi, an organizer at the center, described
it as a kipuka- a place of regeneration. "When
Pele, the goddess of the volcano, unleashes, she
goes down the mountain with her lava trails and
everything in her way is destroyed. The fingers
of lava often go around little spots of green,
and they remain. That's what a kipuka is," Mahi
explained.
"A couple of years ago, our State legislature
actually passed a resolution, where they coined
the term "cultural kipuka." Our people and
culture have been bulldozed by a lot of different
thingsŠ. The disconnection of people from land
has been the destructive course it's gone. But we
have pockets of hope and regeneration like this,
we've got our people. So our vision is that
someday there will be a kipuka in every
community."

Kalo (taro) growing at the Ka'ala Center, Oahu

Sacred Reciprocity

The vision of a kipuka in every community is
exciting not only from the perspective of
indigenous empowerment, but as a means to connect
non-native populations to indigenous wisdom.

"Everybody can trace themselves to an indigenous
culture; everywhere you live there is an
indigenous culture that can guide you," Mahi
pointed out.
"I think that permaculture is carried inside the
body," Vasquez said. "We are all born with this
knowledge."

Permaculture offers an opportunity for all people
to bring the core principles of this wisdom into
practice in their daily lives, benefiting not
only themselves, but the planet. Martin Prechtel,
an activist and shaman in the Mayan tradition,
was raised on a New Mexico Pueblo reservation by
his Canadian Indian mother. The hybridity of
contemporary society is embodied in his story,
and his perspective on "re-indigenizing."

"Every individual in the world, regardless of
cultural background or race, has an indigenous
soul struggling to survive in an increasingly
hostile environment created by that individual's
mind. A modern person's body has become a
battleground between the rationalist mind - which
subscribes to the values of the machine age - and
the native soul. This battle is the cause of a
great deal of spiritual and physical illness,"
Prechtel said in an interview.

Permaculture's focus on symbiotic relationships
is informed by the concept of ayni, a Quechua and
Aymara word for sacred reciprocity, an ethic
shared by many traditional cultures and sometimes
translated as "today for you, tomorrow for me."
If the permaculture movement can successfully
integrate and spread indigenous science in a way
that truly benefits both traditional and modern
cultures, perhaps this exchange- this sacred
reciprocity-has the power to help guide the
future of the planet.

"We have not stopped because we have seen
positive resultsŠ food, increased biodiversity,
greywater systems, community gardens, sustainable
energy. These have made the program move ahead,"
Vasquez said. "I swim in the rivers, I smell the
pure air, so why shouldn't our children have the
right to do these things? We must consider the
next generations. That's why we do this work."