[Scpg] Bolivia to host Summit for Climate Change 2010

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Dec 27 08:20:52 PST 2009

Bolivia to organize a climate change conference in 2010

<http://www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/20843>http://www.buenosairesherald.com/BreakingNews/View/20843

Bolivian President Evo Morales addresses a session of the United Nations
Climate Change Conference 2009
Bolivian city of Cochabamba will be the venue for the World Summit for
Climate Change from April 19th to April 22nd 2010, announced Bolivian
President Evo Morales. The summit, organized as a world conference of social
movements, will operate as a response to the failure of the 15th Summit on
Climate Change, recently held in Copenhagen.

"Cochabamba will be the scenario for diverse social movements to discuss
about the consequences global warming brings about, how we harm our
environment and every single hazard jeopardizing planet Earth," explained
Morales when addressing the press.

Bolivian Foreign Ministry will be taking care of the details and the
organization behind the summit. "My idea is to summon everyone on April
19th, so as to conclude the summit on International Day of Mother Earth,
April 22nd," added Morales.

Bolivian President insisted on the idea of organizing a world referendum on
climate change, as well as forming a Climate Justice Court in the United
Nations. He justified the summit in the name on mankind, life and the
planet, and also as a response to the failure of the 15th Summit on Climate
Change. "The problems of climate change are directly linked to the
irrational development of industry," said the president.

Within the framework of a press conference due to the celebrations for the
49th anniversary of the foundation of the Culpina municipality, in the
region of Chuquisaca, Morales stated that he believes industrialized nations
are obsessed with the idea of limiting global warming to 2 degrees Celsius
and the aftermath of this resolution "it is not being analyzed," he pointed
out. "Allowing global warming to rise up to 2 degrees Celsius is a huge
threaten against mankind's survival," warned Morales. He also said that he
had requested technical and scientific arguments to support a large-scale
international mobilization to defend the environment, especially water.

He regretted that the summit held in Copenhagen had concluded without
reaching any important agreement. However, he noted that the event was an
opportunity to break the hegemony of industrialized countries attending the
gathering.

The head of state assured that the summit will count on the participation of
scholars, experts, social organizations and heads of state. "Our main goal
is to reach a consensus so as to move forwards to the next Summit on Climate
Change, to be held in Mexico on 2011," he concluded.
--
Coalition Development Co-ordinator l
<http://www.ukycc.org>www.ukycc.org

Power Shift was AMAZING! Check out what we did here:
<http://www.gotvision.ukycc.org/>http://www.gotvision.ukycc.org/