[Scpg] Todmorden's Good life: Introducing Britain's greenest town

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jan 13 07:46:30 PST 2010

Todmorden's Good life: Introducing Britain's greenest town
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/green-living/todmordens-good-life-introducing-britains-greenest-town-1830666.html
'Grow your own' fever has gripped the Pennines
community, which is aiming for self-sufficiency
By Joanna Moorhead
Sunday, 29 November 2009

It's an ordinary small town in England, but its
residents claim they've discovered the secret
that could save the planet. And with world
leaders preparing to gather in Copenhagen in just
over a week's time to debate how to do just that,
the people of Todmorden in the Pennines this week
issued an invitation: come to our town and see
what we've done.

In under two years, Todmorden has transformed the
way it produces its food and the way residents
think about the environment. Compared with 18
months ago, a third more townspeople now grow
their own veg; almost seven in 10 now buy local
produce regularly, and 15 times as many people
are keeping chickens.

The town centre is dotted with "help yourself"
vegetable gardens; the market groans with local
meat and vegetables, and at all eight of the
town's schools the pupils eat locally produced
meat and vegetables every lunchtime.

"It's a complete turnaround," said Pam Warhurst,
a former leader of Calderdale Council, board
member of Natural England and the person who
masterminded the project - called Incredible
Edible - and motivated her friends and neighbours
to join in. "Our aim is to make our town entirely
self-sufficient in food production by 2018 - and
if we can carry on at the same rate as we've done
over the past 18 months since we had our first
meeting and set this initiative up, we're going
to make it."

And the scheme's leaders are now hoping to export
their idea: two weeks ago the town held a
conference on how to make Incredible Edible-style
initiatives work elsewhere, and more than 200
people from across Britain attended.

They heard the story of Todmorden's
transformation, starting with what Ms Warhurst
calls the "propaganda planting" of vegetables
around the town centre 18 months ago. Nick Green,
who runs a converted mill that provides workspace
for local artists, took on the job of doing the
planting. He said he chose the first venue - a
disused health centre - because it was in the
middle of the town and would attract plenty of
attention. "We wanted everyone to see what we
were doing, so they could ask questions and
ultimately join in," he said. "The old health
centre has plenty of land in front, so it was
ideal. I didn't ask anyone's permission: I just
went there with my spade and my seeds and I
planted cabbages and rhubarb."
Incredible Edible was originally funded out of
the participants' own pockets. "We were very
clear that we didn't want to look at what grants
were available and mould our projects to suit
them," said Mr Green. "We felt that what would
work was to start with the town and what it
needed. We'd look for money later on." What the
project leaders found was that a lot could be
achieved with small amounts of cash. And awards
and grants have followed - the latest is the
Kerrygold Farmers' Co-operatives Awards last
week, when Incredible Edible won the "most
inspirational community project" and £1,000.

One of the founding principles of the movement
has been to make it as inclusive as possible; in
this it differs from transition towns, said Ms
Warhurst. "We are working with people who would
find transition towns hard to identify with. Our
project is all about finding the lowest common
denominator, which is food, and then speaking in
a language that everyone can understand. Plus we
don't have strategies; we don't have visiting
speakers; we don't have charters and documents.
We just get on with things: this is all about
action."

The project has been moulded to fit with where
people in Todmorden are and the lives they lead.
Many live in homes without gardens, and the local
social housing landlord, Pennine Housing, has
given out more than 1,000 starter packs of seeds
and growing troughs, and invited tenants to
cooking and gardening classes. "There are people
here who don't own a recipe book and who don't
have a garden, but we want to show them that they
can still cook and grow vegetables," said Val
Morris, the tenant involvement officer for
Pennine Housing.

Other town-wide initiatives include a foraging
course, on which participants learn how to find
food for free, and then how to make preserves,
jams and chutneys with their findings - and, more
controversially, a workshop on how to kill and
pluck your own chickens. "It's not for the faint
hearted, but there's something entirely honest
and right about killing the chickens you're going
to eat," said Lynne Midwinter, a physiotherapist
in the town who took her eight-year-old daughter
along. "For my daughter, it's entirely normal to
see chickens being killed and to help pluck them.
"Some parents might think you can't let your kids
see that, but what I'd say is, what kind of a
life did the chickens your child usually eats
have? Our chickens have a good life; they die a
quick death, and seeing all that teaches the
connection between rearing animals and eating
them, which has been lost in much of the Western
world today."
Ms Midwinter has also helped persuade local
businesses to support Incredible Edible. "One of
our early initiatives was to give all the stalls
in the covered market a blackboard on which they
could advertise any local food they were selling,
to encourage them to sell more local food and to
shout about it when they did," she said.
"And it's definitely worked. You now see most of
the stalls advertising the fact that they're
selling local beef and lamb, pork and bread,
vegetables and even cheese - the first-ever
Todmorden cheese, which is called East Lee, is
now produced by the Pextenement Cheese Company at
a farm on a hillside above the town."
Another venture has been the planting of apple,
pear and plum trees at the town's newly built
health centre. "The PCT was all set to grow the
usual prickly bushes around it, and we said -
hold on a second, why not food?" said Ms
Warhurst. "They agreed, and we're going to
encourage people to pick their fruit whenever
they're passing the doctor's. Apart from giving
them fresh fruit, maybe putting the trees there
will help people make the connection between
healthy eating, and being healthy."
Other projects in the pipeline include a 50m-long
polytunnel being set up to grow bigger amounts of
food and vegetables on a site just outside the
town, a drop-in jam-making centre, a woodwork
shop to supply chicken huts and greenhouses, and
a vegetable garden at elderly people's care homes
in the area which will be designed so that
residents will be able to garden and pick
vegetables from their wheelchairs.
There are also two herb gardens, one beside the
main road and one at the new health centre.
"Anyone can pick the herbs. They're a great way
to get people enthused about cooking," said
Helena Cook, who looks after the gardens.
She is also involved in trying to infect other
local communities with the Incredible Edible
spirit. "I'm a primary school teacher in a
neighbouring town, Littleborough, and I've set up
an Incredible Edible growing project with my
pupils," she said. "The great thing is that it
pulls the parents in as well, and I know some of
them have already started growing their own
vegetables at home. All of us who are involved in
the Todmorden project try to export it to other
neighbourhoods we have contact with."
The next project on the horizon is a fish farm
that's being set up on land adjacent to the high
school. Incredible Edible has applied for a
lottery grant of £750,000 to set the farm up, and
Ms Warhurst says she's confident their bid will
be confirmed soon. There are also plans to offer
a diploma in environmental and land-based studies
to 14 to 19-year-olds, using local growing and
food production initiatives as a resource.
"That's fantastic because it's making our school
a centre of excellence at teaching this vital
skill - and it's kids who go into this kind of
work who are going to be most useful to the world
of tomorrow," said Ms Warhurst.
"The vital thing about Incredible Edible, and the
thing that sets it apart, is that it involves
everyone in the town and it's genuinely a
grass-roots project. I honestly believe it's a
blueprint for every neighbourhood. What we're
doing here could easily be rolled out anywhere.
It's all about involving people, giving them
ownership, letting them realise it can be fun and
interesting and that the food is delicious, and
giving them space to set up their own ideas and
run with them."
Ms Warhurst and the rest of the Incredible Edible
team are now looking forward to their Christmas
treat - a home-cooked dinner of turkey and all
the trimmings in a local church centre, with
every ingredient sourced locally. "We're growing
the potatoes and sprouts on a special piece of
land we call the Christmas dinner patch," said
Helena Cook. "All the food, including the turkey,
will be from Todmorden.
"There are even crumbs from locally baked bread,
and local fruit, in my secret recipe Christmas
pudding!"
SJ Clegg, 42
Smallholder
"Three years ago I gave up my job as a designer
in London and moved to a converted barn above
Todmorden to run a smallholding. So I was already
here and keeping my own pigs, sheep, chicken and
goats, but Incredible Edible has given a huge
boost to what I do because it's made people in
the town so much more aware of issues around
locally produced food. The eggs I sell, for
example, aren't watery like a lot of supermarket
eggs: they've got big, orange yolks. And, perhaps
most surprising of all, they're cheaper."
Pauline Mullarkey, 39
Mother of three
"I'd never grown a vegetable in my life and I had
absolutely no idea how to do it, but when I heard
about Incredible Edible from another mum in the
school playground I knew it made sense. I started
in my own garden by growing vegetables. It was
far easier than I'd expected it to be. This year
we've had potatoes, leeks, carrots, cabbage,
strawberries, onions, garlic, peas, parsnips and
sprouts, and I don't spend more than two hours a
week in the garden.
"I also keep chickens. I've now got 15, and I'm
currently putting together a map of everyone in
the town who has them. The eventual aim is for
every egg consumed in Todmorden to be a local
one. We're working towards producing 30,000 eggs
a week, and it's entirely possible that by 2018
our egg production will be at those levels. And
people catch on quick - you often hear people in
shops asking for Todmorden eggs."
Tony Mulgrew, 46
Catering manager at Todmorden High School
"There was some wasteland beside the school and
one day I looked out at it and thought, we could
grow the vegetables for the school dinners on
that! I asked the governors, they agreed, and we
started growing in February 2009. Year 8 and Year
10 pupils helped, and by the summer term we were
able to serve tomato soup made from our tomatoes,
as well as potatoes, courgettes, runner beans,
lettuce, endive and chard.
"The fruit was amazing - we had blueberries,
gooseberries - and the strawberries went on for
ages. What was really good was the pride the
pupils took in seeing the food they'd helped
produce on the menu in the school dining room. I
also source all our meat from local farms. I'd
say that all the meat we serve here is produced
within a half-hour's walk from the door. Plenty
of top restaurants can't make that boast."
Nick Green, 52
Sculptor and owner of local mill that provides workspace for other artists
"In April 2008 they told me: you're our guerrilla
gardener! So off I went and started planting
vegetables. I started with rhubarb because the
great thing about it is that people recognise it,
so they know when it's ready to pick. At that
stage I put up a sign inviting people to pick
whatever they wanted to take home. And people
did. We wanted to show that it's a project for
anyone, that it's about ownership for the whole
community.
"I've now got lots of food growing all over
Todmorden - chard and kale as well as rhubarb -
and we've recruited people from the mental health
inclusion scheme to help with the planting.
That's been a good move because people with
mental health problems appreciate the chance to
do meaningful work, and what could be more
meaningful than growing food for the whole
community?"