[Scpg] Bill Mollison pioneered the teaching of Environmental Psychology

lbuzzell at aol.com lbuzzell at aol.com
Fri Jan 22 08:24:41 PST 2010

Wesley Roe and Margie Bushman of the Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
sent me this fascinating information on how permaculture co-founder Bill
Mollison pioneered the teaching of Environmental Psychology...

Linda

Bill  Mollison
Known as the 'father of  permaculture', Bill Mollison is an influential
figure in the world of  sustainable agriculture. After studying psychology and
science at university he  pioneered the teaching of Environmental Psychology
before, in 1972, he developed  the idea of permaculture, now accepted as a
viable alternative to chemical-based  agriculture around the world.

Mollison is the founding director  of The Permaculture Institute, which he
describes as the "largest aid program in  the whole world," and which
operates hundreds of thousands of permaculture  programs globally. In 1991, he won
the Right Livelihood Award for his work on  practical solutions to the
world's problems. He has been named one of  Australia's Icons of the Millennium,
has received the Banksia Environment Award  and was featured among  G's Top
20 Eco Heroes in the  November/December issue.

According to Mollison, he achieved  all of this without much support or
interest from governments or politicians,  making him a reluctant finalist for
this year's Senior Australian of the Year  and a bit bemused by all the fuss.

"I would walk into a village and  say, I'm not here with any government or
any church and I'm here to help. That  was my approach," he said.
He thinks education, not awards, is what will  ensure his legacy lives on
in the decades to come. "I am a teacher," he said.  "And I taught thousands
of teachers and now they  are teaching."

Australian of the Year Awards  2010
By Jessica  Stone
G-Online
Among this year's nominees are a  host of eco-inspiring Aussies...

-  Advertisement -
http://www.gmagazine.com.au/news/1792/australian-year-2010

Several eco-conscious Aussies are in the  running for this year's
Australian of the Year Awards.
Environmental  campaigners, wildlife rescuers and sustainability leaders
are just some of the  finalists with green credentials, with their nominations
spanning across the  categories of Australian of the Year, Young Australian
of the Year, Senior  Australian of the Year and Australia's Local Hero.
The winners of the annual  awards will be announced on the lawns of
Parliament House in Canberra this  Monday, January 25.
"These are people who have been nominated by their peers,  the people of
Australia," said Tam Johnston, Program Director for the National  Australia
Day Council, of all those in the running.
"They represent  everything we admire about great Australian values,
world-leading achievements  and community building."
There are eight nominees in each of the award  categories, one from each
state and territory - read on to learn more about the  green heroes among...