[Scpg] Demonstration farm in rural California draws attention with its crop of unique building experiments. By: Arnie Cooper | January 28, 2010 Miller-Mccune Magazine

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Jan 30 09:14:36 PST 2010

Straw Homes That Would Have Foiled the Wolf
Demonstration farm in rural California draws
attention with its crop of unique building
experiments.
By: Arnie Cooper  |  January 28, 2010  |  05:00 AM (PST)  |   Comments

http://miller-mccune.com/science_environment/straw-homes-that-would-have-foiled-the-wolf-1721

In the United States, the embodiment of
permaculture can be found at a 450-acre parcel -
the Quail Springs Permaculture Farm - tucked into
a piñon- and juniper-covered canyon in Southern
California's Cuyama Valley, 32 miles "as the
raven flies" from the Pacific Ocean and about 60
miles northwest of Los Angeles.
Here at the base of two "sister mountains" on a
windswept desert-like terrain sacred to the
area's native Chumash Indians live 14 permanent
residents, mostly teachers and "land stewards,"
along with a handful of interns. All work to
restore a landscape laid waste by a century of
clear-cutting and grazing, while also hosting
seminars and workshops on topics ranging from
safe water and green building to creating a
carbon economy.

It's applied permaculture, a design science
focused on integrating sustainable shelter,
energy, food and water for human settlement.
The idea took shape back in the mid-'70s when
Bill Mollison, a University of Tasmania lecturer
in environmental psychology, and student David
Holmgren began collaborating on how to combat the
ills of modern industrial agriculture. Their
solution was "permaculture" - for "permanent
agriculture" - which they outlined in a 1978
book, Permaculture One: A Perennial Agriculture
for Human Settlements. Originally focused on
farming methods, permaculture has since evolved
to embrace all aspects of human survival.

At Quail Springs, days are spent perfecting
greywater systems, creating food forests and
building bio-swales to keep the limited rainwater
from eroding the topsoil. But what's really
capturing attention are the buildings constructed
with natural products like straw bale, adobe and
bamboo.
But don't expect to see this
eco-village-in-the-making take final form in your
lifetime - or your children's or your
grandchildren's - and certainly not in the
lifetime of the farm's founders, husband-and-wife
team Warren Brush and Cynthia Harvan.
Brush says the undertaking will take 200 years.

"The elders in my life have always shared the
idea that a village can't be started in one
generation," he explained. The 44-year-old Santa
Cruz native says seven generations are needed to
bring the necessary cohesiveness between the
people and the land.
"That kind of long-term thinking and relationship
with place changes how you do everything. And
that's a lot of the impetus for what's driving us
to use natural as opposed to conventional
building processes."
No wonder Quail Springs emphasizes exploring
methods and materials that not only preserve
natural resources but that can last centuries.
Indeed, Brush can be heard frequently citing one
rather disarming statistic from the American
Contractor's Association Web site: "The average
home built conventionally today will only last 40
years before needing to be rebuilt."
This won't work if you have a 200-year plan.

The Beginning
Quail Springs' story begins in 1997 when the
couple established the Wilderness Youth Project
at a Santa Barbara shelter for homeless families.
The idea was to help young people experience the
personal and practical benefits of exploring the
natural world, using a ranch owned by one of the
donors. The site (adjacent to Quail Springs) was
perfect for helping kids practice animal
tracking, food foraging and other survival - or
as Brush terms it, "origin" - skills.

After several years, Brush - a pre-med student at
the University of California, Santa Barbara, who
ended up majoring in botany - noticed that
participants were asking for more. "They wanted
to know how to apply the ethic of earth and
people care to a modern context in the middle of
Santa Barbara or L.A. That really unlocked
something with my wife, Cindy, and me. We both
had this overwhelming feeling that there needed
to be this next step."

In May 2004, with the help of the locally based
Zannon Family Foundation, Brush in purchased 160
neighboring acres and began his nonprofit grand
oeuvre.
To help fulfill its need for healthy,
eco-friendly housing and "foster" as Brush says,
"independent, entrepreneurial ways of approaching
how we keep ourselves alive," they brought in
Justin Kirmse and his partner Lyn Giesecke in
2008 to found the Living Craft Project. For
Kirmse and Giesecke, the goal was clear-cut: to
teach the art of natural building and authentic
living. This meant pursuing "the simplest path
between the land, our hands, our relationships
and what physically sustains us - shelter, water,
fire and food."

That also requires a commitment to move away from
toxics. Brush cites Paula Baker-LaPorte, a Quail
Springs consultant (she and her husband have been
promoting "EcoNests" made of clay, straw and wood
since 1994) and author of Prescription for a
Healthy House, who says the typical home uses a
minimum of 10,000 toxic chemicals when all the
paints, glues, carpets, caulking, etc., are
factored in.
And though the endeavor may sound dreamily
utopian, the project is as pragmatic as it gets,
offering hands-on instruction to transform anyone
interested into the ultimate do-it-yourselfer.
Last summer the Living Craft Project launched its
first apprenticeship project with six apprentices
in their late teens to mid-30s from the United
States and Belgium. After getting certified
following a 72-hour permaculture design course,
Kirmse and Giesecke worked with the team to
construct a 350-square-foot straw bale structure
(with 100-square-foot light clay-straw attached
bedroom) for a young family that stewards the
land at Quail Springs.

Meeting the Building Code
Known for its low-cost, easy availability and
high insulation value, straw-bale construction
got its start in the United States in the early
1900s following the invention of steam-powered
bailers in Nebraska. And though it flourished
until construction became industrialized in the
1950s, it enjoyed a resurgence in the 1970s.
Unfortunately, straw-bale construction is illegal
in several states, including California. At Quail
Springs, local officials have postured over unmet
building codes, especially those dealing with
earthquake safety.

Jim MacDonald, director of the Ventura County
Building and Safety Division, said that one of
the problems is that building codes are just now
starting to catch up with green building
techniques. "I'm all for alternative building
materials, but I have to be satisfied that it
complies with state law. Unfortunately, this
presents some difficult rigors to applicants."

It doesn't help that Quail Springs is located
just 11 miles from the San Andreas Fault, the
seismic spine of the Golden State.

Brush, though, says engineering tests at the
University of Nevada's Large-Scale Structures
Laboratory found that load-bearing straw bale -
the same type built at Quail Springs -
demonstrated the highest earthquake resistance of
any buildings they'd ever seen, and want to see
the construction fostered in the more rattling
parts of the globe like Pakistan.

So not only isn't Brush concerned about the Big
One - he's looking forward to it.
"We said codes or no codes, we're gonna build
this because we're near the fault line, and we'd
love to see it go through an earthquake and be
able to have that data for other people to learn
from."

His go-to-it attitude isn't uncommon among
alternative-home gurus; witness the legal
travails of Earthship inventor Michael Reynolds.

Not that Brush wants to continue going rogue.
With the backing of David Eisenberg (chair of the
codes committee for the U.S. Green Building
Council) Brush is working with local politicians
to put pressure on the state to adopt legislation
exempting Quail Springs and other research
organizations from building-code requirements.
Several local universities, including California
Polytechnic University and the University of
California, have partnered with Quail Springs to
test out buildings and sustainable systems that
would otherwise be illegal.

"We really want to work with the building
department in sharing the data that we're
gathering. I'd love to be able to sit down with
Jim MacDonald minus the barriers he has of trying
to enforce a code that is no longer relevant to
our times ecologically," Brush said.