[Scpg] Indigenous Permaculture Convergence August 13-15 in Colorado

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 14:40:57 PST 2010

Please see the great principles  below...
http://woodbinecenter.org/indigenouspermaculture
Indigenous  Permaculture: An operational framework

Woodbine Ecology Center was created to address a basic question: How do we
learn to live together in this place? It doesn't take very protracted
observation to figure out that, as a society, we have focused much of our energy
 in teaching our children how to fear each other and how to exploit the
natural  world. The combined, and related, social and ecological crisis that we
are  facing is simply the product of that design. If we are to find new
ways to be  with each other and with the natural world, then it makes a lot of
sense to  start looking at how people and cultures have lived, and continue
to live, in  this place since time immemorial. To truly re-create
sustainable communities, we  must look at the sustainable communities that were here
before us as well as the  reasons and process through which many of those
communities have been severely  damaged or outrightly destroyed.
For us, indigenous peoples and cultures and their values that many still
hold, are not only a historical curiosity but a living part of our everyday
work. Indigenous peoples have been an active part of the formation and
operation  of Woodbine since day one. Woodbine has also actively included people
whose  ancestry and cultural upbringing originates from other lands. The
Woodbine  community hails from many different places. We are indigenous
peoples,  descendants of slaves, indentured servants, gentry, refugees, and
voluntary  immigrants. Regardless of how we, or our ancestors, came to this place,
we find  ourselves—people of all colors and nations—here to stay. This is
now our home  and the home of our children and great-great grandchildren.
What brings us  together is our common vision of a better place for our
children and future  generations, our desire to build a world where we are, again,
a part of the  natural world.
One of the prisms through which Woodbine strives to address this vision, is
 permaculture. As the “cutting edge of a 10,000 year old idea”
permaculture  offers one of the most exciting possibilities for re-learning how to
become  native to our places and how to integrate traditional ecological
knowledge with  modern science.
At Woodbine we explicitly use the term indigenous permaculture to define
and  describe our practice and application of permaculture. We are neither the
first,  nor the only, to use this term and in our research and interactions
with others  who practice indigenous permaculture we have found that there
is no clear,  single definition of the term. Given that permaculture itself
often defies a  single definition, this should not be very surprising.
However, we believe that  words have meaning, that they are sacred and that when
we use them we give birth  to our reality. As such, we provide here a brief
synopsis of our own, constantly  evolving, understanding of indigenous
permaculture and what it means to us. This  is not meant to be an authoritative
or exclusive definition of the term. Rather,  we humbly offer our own
framework to the larger indigenous and permaculture  communities, hoping that it
can foster some greater discussion, clarity, and  understanding of our
practices.
Our understanding of indigenous permaculture revolves around five basic
principles:
    1.  The recollection and recognition of, and respect for, indigenous
contributions.
For us this means more than giving lip service to  generic indigenous
contributions. We strive for active, respectful and  reciprocal contact and
collaboration with indigenous communities in our places  and work to learn about
traditional ways of being, always careful to not  engage, consciously and
unconsciously, in cultural appropriation. We recognize  and cultivate
leadership of indigenous peoples in their communities as well as  our diverse
organizations. We commit to share our own knowledge and to give  back to
indigenous communities.
    2.  Traditional Ecological Knowledge has always been specific to a
place  and culture.
All indigenous and traditional ecological knowledge  systems have been
specific to a place and have been transmitted across  generations through
cultural mechanisms, including storytelling and ceremonies  which are specific to
the places they originated from. While it is useful to  understand some of
the general principles common to most systems of indigenous  knowledge, it is
also important to develop a strong understanding of and  appreciation of
the specific cultures within which these systems come alive.
    3.  Decolonization of our minds, our language, our work, and our
communities.
We live in a colonial society and are the products of  historical colonial
processes. This is not simply something that occurred in  the past and we
can now all happily move on with our lives. These processes  are very much
alive today and indigenous communities continue to be under  direct and
indirect attack. Much of the mining of fossil fuels as well as of  the rare metals
such as lithium and neodymium which are supposed to fuel the  new green
revolution takes place in indigenous territories. In order to come  together as
indigenous and non-indigenous people and build a better world for  the next
seven generations, we must recognize this history and commit to
transforming its legacy. For us, this means an explicit commitment to stand  with
communities under attack, and to work with them to defend and restore  their
culture and traditions, as well as help them assess and incorporate new
technologies and skills in a culturally appropriate way. It also requires a
commitment to become aware of our full history and decolonize our language,  our
work, our processes and to challenge eurocentrism and white privilege in  our
organizations, communities, and permaculture at large.
    4.  Being and becoming native to this place.
Permaculturists are  fond of saying that we are all indigenous, or that we
all come from indigenous  roots, but the reality is that being native to a
place does not happen  overnight. To quote Luther Standing Bear, “[m]en must
be born and reborn to  belong. Their bodies must be formed of the dust of
their forefathers' bones.”  We recognize that there are significant
differences between being native by  having been raised in a culture and community
that is part of this place since  time immemorial, and striving to become
native by learning how to live in a  place as part of it. We also recognize that
permaculture and its call for  “protracted and thoughtful observation”
offers an excellent set of tools and  practices that we can use in our journey
to become truly native to our places.
    5.  Eco-cultural restoration.
The preservation and restoration of  natural places requires the
preservation and restoration of the cultures that  have lived in those places since
time immemorial. It is not accidental that  some of the places in the world
where bio-diversity is the most threatened are  also places where indigenous
languages are endangered. We are also working  towards the reintegration of
humans and nature by challenging many of  the distinctions so prevalent in th
e West, between the domesticated and the  wild. This is where we disagree
with one of the permaculture aphorisms, “stay  out of the bush, it is already
in good order.” Indigenous cultures have often  not only lived in the “bush
” but have also played an active role in  maintaining and enhancing its “
good order.”
It is not possible to articulate all permeations of these principles in
such  a short space, but we do hope that we can inspire some thought and
discussion  around them. In the future we will present in more detail some of the
indigenous  permaculture projects that we are involved in and share the
lessons and  experiences that we are gaining from our application of these
principles. We are  also organizing an _Indigenous Permaculture Convergence at
Woodbine, August  13-15, 2010._ (http://woodbinecenter.org/ipc)  We are
bringing together indigenous community activists and  leaders, permaculturists and
anyone who is practicing or interested in  indigenous permaculture, to
learn from each other and share our experiences as  we continue to create a
better future for all of our children. We invite you to  join us at the
Convergence as well as participate in our ongoing development of  these principles.
For more information please _contact us_
(http://woodbinecenter.org/contact-us) .
* A version of this article has been published in Issue 75 (Spring 2010) of
 Permaculture  Activist.