[Scpg] California State University, Channel Islands, is launching a new social business institute

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Feb 8 20:45:47 PST 2010

California State University, Channel Islands, is launching a new
  social business institute

Nobel laureate kick-starts CSUCI institute
Written by Marlize van Romburgh
Monday, 08 February 2010
http://pacbiztimes.com/index.php?option=com

California State University, Channel Islands, is launching a new
social business institute it hopes will revolutionize its curriculum
- and it has a Nobel laureate as its pitchman.
CSUCI will feature Muhammad Yunus, founder of the Grameen Bank, in a
keynote event on Feb. 26 that also launches the university's new
California Institute for Social Business.

The institute is the first of its kind in the California public
university system, and the fact that CSUCI, launched in 2002, is
still a relatively new institution means it's well positioned to try
something different. "We're nimble, and part of our flexibility is
that we're a young institution," CSUCI President Richard Rush said.
"We're able to try to implement those things that are
interdisciplinary, multi-cultural and international."

Rush said he told Yunus, " 'We're trying not to replicate what is
going on elsewhere - good as it is - we want to try something new not
tried anywhere else. Something truly interdisciplinary.' "

In a speech in Berlin, Yunus had said that CSUCI is a university
"educating for the future."

With the launch of the institute, the university is seeking to move
its curriculum forward, exposing students to issues of poverty and
environmental problems and educating them to come up with
market-based solutions.
The university was put in touch with the Nobel laureate by Julia
Wilson, its vice president for advancement. She had formerly worked
with Yunus' Grameen Bank, the organization widely credited as the
catalyst for the international microfinance movement.

Yunus and the bank were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006 for
providing access to credit to thousands of the world's poorest,
people who usually don't have collateral to secure conventional bank
financing. The idea behind microfinance is that entrepreneurs in
developing countries often need only a small loan - sometimes less
than $100 - to kick-start a business and become self-sustainable.

To better understand the social business concept, a group of CSUCI
faculty and administrators visited Bangladesh during the early stages
of planning for the institute. There, they visited with villagers in
some of the poorest regions of the world, and began to understand the
microfinance model and the idea of social entrepreneurship - that is,
business for more than the sake of profits.

"We're now considering the possibility of creating social businesses
of our own with our students. We'd like to expose them to third world
countries," Rush said.

The new institute will have several elements. In its undergraduate
curriculum, it will offer social business classes through its
business school, which may lead to the establishment of a minor or
concentration in social business. Students will be encouraged to
study abroad to fulfill some of the requirements for the minor or
concentration.

CSUCI is also looking to integrate social business concepts into its
MBA program.
"Around the nation and around the world, there's a growing interest
in this field," said CSUCI Dean of Faculty and Economics Professor
Ashish Vaidya. "Business schools around the country are looking at
how they should be preparing their students to be involved citizens
who are aware of the challenges of the 21st century."

Because it wants students to gain practical benefits and move beyond
classroom learning, the institute will also function as an incubator
for business projects. Plans suggest that the institute may host an
international business plan competition, which would culminate with a
ceremony including a monetary award of seed capital for winning
projects.

The institute will work with students on a more regular basis to
start social businesses in the surrounding community and may be able
to provide a micro-loan structure to students to start such projects.

Lastly, the institute plans to be a breeding ground for academic
research concerning social entrepreneurship. Faculty - ideally
working with students - will conduct and publish research based on
case studies and field work. If the institute is able to secure
funding, an endowment will allow for a fellowship program.

"There are social problems that we need to address," Vaidya said.
"The question is, 'Are there business solutions we can use to solve
them?' Students, with faculty supervision, can begin to address these
problems, and gain real-world experience that will help them when
they graduate."
Rush said that he hopes the institute will lay the groundwork for
other universities, both public and private, to follow suit. "When I
was hired it was my thought that we'd try to build a 21st century
university. And I've been privileged to have the faculty and staff
join with me as we try to build something for the future," he said.

Vaidya said that  faculty from across the board are already embracing
the interdisciplinary approach - not just professors in business and
economics, but also from engineering, the hard sciences and the
humanities have all expressed their support for the institute.
"From an academic community standpoint, our approach is that we want
to educate the whole student to be really an engaged, global
citizen," Vaidya said.

If it hopes to get all that done in the next year and a half, CSUCI
has its work cut out for it. By the fall - and once the institute
receives final approval from the academic senate - the university
hopes to hire a director and administrative support for the institute
and form advisory boards with regional, national and international
partners. By next spring, it hopes to begin faculty research and
student projects as well as development of the social business
incubator.
All that will require millions of dollars in funding, and with a
cash-strapped public university system the institute is striving to
be almost purely privately funded. The endowment alone is expected to
be $12 million and annual operating costs for the institute are
estimated at $560,000.
Vaidya said that in the spirit of the free-enterprise system, the
university is looking to the business community for monetary support.
"All of this will depend on the resources we can generate. We're not
expecting state funding," he said. "We're hopeful that these ideas
are something the private community will embrace."

With Yunus as the institute's public face, the university has already
received a lot of attention. The Nobel prize winner will return to
the Camarillo campus Feb. 26 for all-day events and to talk about his
book, "Creating a World Without Poverty:  Social Business, the New
Face of Capitalism." The campus has distributed 3,600 copies of the
book and expects record turnout at the event.
Are you a subscriber? If not, sign up t