[Scpg] FARM CITY The Education of an Urban Farmer By Novella Carpenter

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Feb 11 12:17:39 PST 2010

Books of The Times

Living Off the Land, Surrounded by Asphalt

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/books/12book.html

By
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/dwight_garner/index.html?inline=nyt-per>DWIGHT
GARNER
Published: June 11, 2009

I had a feeling I might like this memoir when I
came upon on its first sentence, a gentle twist
on the opening of
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/isak_dinesen/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Isak
Dinesen’s “Out of Africa.” Here is Novella
Carpenter: “I have a farm on a dead-end street in the ghetto.”
\
[]

Julia Landau

Novella Carpenter

FARM CITY

The Education of an Urban Farmer

By Novella Carpenter

276 pages. The Penguin Press. $25.95.

<http://ghosttownfarm.wordpress.com/>Novella<http://ghosttownfarm.wordpress.com/>
Carpenter’s Blog

But I didn’t truly fall in love with “Farm City:
The Education of an Urban Farmer” until I hit
Page 38. That’s when the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/bees/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>bees
that Ms. Carpenter has purchased from a mail
order company arrive at her post office in
Oakland, Calif. A panicked postal employee calls,
begging her to pick them up because they’re
attracting other bees and “freaking everyone out.”

So Ms. Carpenter hurries over, picks up the
humming box, and casually plops it into the front
basket of her bicycle. Then she has a parade. “I
proceeded to ride down Telegraph Avenue, laughing
out loud at the bees who tried to follow us amid
the traffic,” she writes. “At stoplights I looked
down at the mesh box, the bees churning around,
and told them to get ready for” ­ and here she
gives her neighborhood’s nickname ­ “GhostTown.”
Fresh, fearless and jagged around the edges, Ms.
Carpenter’s book, an account of how she raised
not only fruit and vegetables but also livestock
on a small, scrubby abandoned lot in Oakland,
puts me in mind of Julie Powell’s “Julie & Julia”
and Elizabeth Gilbert’s “Eat, Pray, Love.”

Like those writers Ms. Carpenter is not a
pampered girl or a trustafarian; in fact she has
a beautifully cranky side and can drink and swear
like a sailor. Like them too she is
hyper-literate. The whole beekeeping business is
preceded by a bit of
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/sylvia_plath/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Sylvia
Plath’s poem “The Arrival of the Bee Box,”
including these excellent lines: “I lay my ear to
furious Latin./I am not Caesar./I have simply ordered a box of maniacs.”

And finally, like Ms. Powell and Ms. Gilbert, Ms.
Carpenter is very, very funny. She won’t kill the
slugs that have wrecked her garden, as some
people propose, by drowning them in Budweiser,
because “this seemed suspiciously close to buying
the slugs a beer, which was more generous than I
felt.” When
“<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/y/yoga/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>yoga
people” suggest she stop drinking coffee, she
thinks: “I want to tell them maybe they should saw off their legs.”

“Farm City” begins as Ms. Carpenter and Bill, her
auto-mechanic boyfriend, move from Seattle to a
small apartment in Oakland. They steer clear of
San Francisco, she writes, because they are
misfits and because San Francisco “is filled with
successful, polished people.” Oakland, on the
other hand, “is scruffy, loud, unkempt.” They fit
right in. They fill their apartment, at least
partly, with furniture they’ve scavenged from the street.

It is a rough neighborhood, “a postcard of urban
decay.” There are gunfights and drug dealers;
homeless men wander about, muttering. Oakland has
the highest murder rate in the country, she
notes. She and Bill take it all in and begin
referring to the lost hairpieces that flutter
down the street ­ they have fallen off the heads
of hookers ­ as “tumbleweaves.”

The garden Ms. Carpenter begins to create, at
first squatting and then getting the owner’s
permission, is anything but bucolic. A loud
freeway runs nearby; the place borders on a
repair shop and junkyard; a billboard overlooking
the lot warns against sexual predators.

Before long, however, she transforms this lot
into a small slice of paradise. “There was a lime
tree near the fence, sending out a perfume of
citrus blossoms from its dark green leaves.
Stalks of salvias and mint, artemisia and
penstemon. The thistlelike leaves of artichokes
glowed silver. Strawberry runners snaked
underneath raspberry canes.” She begins to add
animals ­ the bees, turkeys, ducks, a goose,
rabbits and finally pigs ­ to the mix.

“Farm City” is filled with terrific stories. But
as it strides artfully along, you begin to see
that Ms. Carpenter has other things, even a
larger argument, on her mind. Her own parents
were back-to-the-landers whose marriage went bust
when she was only 4. She blames rural solitude.
And by gardening in a bustling urban space she
wants to have it all: ducks and heirloom artichokes and, well, friends.

“I still regard the country as a place of
isolation, full of beauty ­ maybe ­ but mostly
loneliness,” she observes. “So when friends plan
their escape to the country (after they save
enough money to buy rural property), where they
imagine they’ll split wood, milk goats and become
one with nature, I shake my head. Don’t we ever learn anything from the past?”

At heart “Farm City” is more about Ms.
Carpenter’s experiences with livestock than it is
about growing plump
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/t/tomatoes/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>tomatoes.
In fact “Farm City” is a serious, if tragicomic,
meditation on raising and then killing your own
animals. She wants to have “a dialogue with
life,” she writes, and she realizes she can do
that only by also having a dialogue with death.

Animals run through this book like messy toddlers
at a busy playground, and Ms. Carpenter names and
adores just about all of them. The bustle is
invigorating. But she is raising most of them as
meat animals and sees no contradiction in loving
them and, ultimately, seeing them ­ as painlessly
and humanely as possible ­to their ends. There is
gallows humor here. She dispatches a duck in her
bathtub and notes that it “went from being a
happy camper to a being a headless camper.”

The two pigs, Red Durocs, are the biggest job.
They eat so much that by the end Ms. Carpenter
and Bill are forced to spend hours foraging
through Dumpsters to feed them. These pigs once
ate pellets. “Now they were eating Chinese,” she
proudly writes, “like good urban pigs.”

On one of her Dumpster-diving missions, for which
she often wears a headlamp, Ms. Carpenter meets a
local chef, Chris Lee, who was for many years a
farm produce buyer for
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/w/alice_waters/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Alice
Waters’s restaurant, Chez Panisse. He allows her
to feed her pigs from the glorious dumpster behind his own restaurant, Eccolo.

Once her pigs are killed (and badly, to her
horror, by a woman she’d hired to do the job),
Mr. Lee helps her carefully make prosciutto and
salami and soppressata out of them. “We had used
all the parts of the pig,” she writes, “the ultimate show of respect.”

“Farm City” is a consistently involving book that
includes one of the purest expressions of
happiness I’ve read in a while, so I’ll end with
that: “I felt young and healthy,” Ms. Carpenter
writes, “and nostalgic for the present.”

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org