[Scpg] New Nature Connection and Permaculture Design Course - Santa Cruz, CA! - www.jonyoung.org

Devin S devinfromheaven at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:25:30 PST 2010

 *Nature Connection comes together with Permaculture in this exciting new
weekend workshop series* For 5 years, the Regenerative Design Institute
(RDI) and 8-Shields Institute have successfully led an emergent course that
weaves Permaculture, Nature Connection, Village Building, Community
Leadership and much more. Together, they recognize that Regenerative Design
and Nature Connection go hand-in-hand. To design a healthy, abundant life in
harmony, we must have a profound connection to nature and gain knowledge in
the way nature works.

 For the first time ever, a weekend series is offered in Santa Cruz that
weaves Nature Connection, a Permaculture Design Certificate Course, and
Integrated Kids Programs - all centered around community celebration! And
each week will include collaboration with Transition Santa Cruz
 This course is one weekend per month, which allows for leaders from distant
communities to receive tools and bring them back home!

For more info visit: http://jonyoung.org/getnature

 Weaving the Village through Nature Connection and Permaculture Design

Click Here to Register for this
Course<http://clients.mindbodyonline.com/ws.asp?studioid=8695>

Designing a regenerative culture depends on a harmonious relationship
between nature and people, in which observation and thoughtful interaction
provide the knowledge and inspiration necessary to being a resilient
community. In this program we take the time to listen to the birds, follow
the stories of the animals through their tracks and sign, use our hands to
grow our food, learn about and practice the art of peacemaking in our
interactions throughout and much, much more. Through the collaboration of
the Getting Nature Connected Program and the 4 Seasons Permaculture
Course<http://www.regenerativedesign.org/courses-events/four%20seasons%20santa%20cruz>,
our intention is to provide participants with tools and experience to begin
living in a mutually enhancing relationship with the Earth.

The Getting Nature Connected course is presented in Santa Cruz  and takes
place one weekend a month. Each weekend offers two parts:

* Friday-night and Saturday Getting Nature Connected with Jon Young and
staff

* Sunday Four-Seasons Permaculture Design Course with Penny Livingston and
the RDI staff

You can register for one or both parts of the series. To register for
Getting Nature Connected continue on this website or click
here<https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/asp/home.asp>
 . To register for the Four-Seasons Permaculture course click here or go to
regenerativedesign.org<http://www.regenerativedesign.org/courses-events/four%20seasons%20santa%20cruz>
.
 Youth programs available throughout the weekend! Click here for theFirst
Child in the Woods <http://jonyoung.org/jonyoung.org/firstchild>
program. *Getting
Nature Connected:*

***Building relationship with all our relations*

At one time each of us was rooted to the land. Our sense of self, our
purpose and our communities were based on an intimate relationship with the
natural world. Peering into our lives and culture today, we realize we have
lost that connection. What are the implications of being a living part of
the natural world, but not having the experience that causes us to
understand what it takes to care for it?

*Course Description:*
Getting Nature Connected is an immersion into building relationships with
all aspects of the natural world in a way that produces knowledge of place
and weaves our lives with the rhythms of nature. If you trace your lineage
back far enough, you'll find ancestors who were natives -- somewhere. To
these indigenous ancestors, holistic awareness of the natural world
(tracking) and land tending (permaculture) were so important that they
became entwined and engrained in their biology. We can hardly guess what
this relationship to land, its living creatures, and people meant to our
ancestors since we have come so far from it. What is true for us now is that
our mind, heart, body and spirit long for this deep connection to the
natural world whether we are aware of it or not. When we re-connect to
nature we experience a deep remembering that brings health and vitality to
our being in a way that only nature connection can!

*Location:*
Santa Cruz Waldorf School, Santa Cruz, CA

*Dates:*
March 2010 - August 2010, 3rd weekend of each month. (Please note, the
weekend series will be launched on March 12, 13 and 14th, which is the 2nd
weekend of March and includes Sunday.)

*Weekend Format:*
Getting Nature Connected takes place once a month for 6 months. Each week
includes a Friday Night lecture with Jon Young and guests, and continues
with all day Saturday adventures in nature connection. To register for
Getting Nature Connected click
here<https://clients.mindbodyonline.com/asp/home.asp>.
(The Pie Ranch Barn Dances on that Saturday night are recommended, but
completely optional). On Sunday, a 4-Seasons Permaculture Design Course*
will be offered through the Regenerative Design Institute (must register
seperately at www.regenerativedesign.org<http://www.regenerativedesign.org/courses-events/four%20seasons%20santa%20cruz>
).

Getting Nature Connected recognizes that nature connection doesn't happen in
isolation from friends, family, and community. For that reason, each day of
program will also include options for youth to participate in their own
adventures (Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday). Click here for our First Child
in the Woods Program.
*
**Daily Schedule:*
Friday
(Pre-lecture potluck 5:30-6:15)
Evening Lecture 6:30PM-9:30PM,
*
*Saturday
Getting Nature Connected Adventures 9AM-4PM
Evening Barn Dance and Potluck (optional):
-Potluck 6PM
-Dance 7PM (Donation of $7-20 recommended)

*Sunday (The 4 Seasons Permaculture Course is offered separately from
Getting Nature Connected to register or for more details visit
www.regenerativedesign.org<http://jonyoung.org/getnature/www.regenerativedesign.org>
)

*
**Course Highlights*:
Each weekend we will learn through our own engagement with nature and cover
the following areas:

* Awareness of hazards in nature
* Using curiosity as a mentoring tool and other tools of natural mentoring
* Mammal track identification and natural history
* Low growing plants, identification and natural history
* Basics of ecology, ecological indicators and keystone species
* Heritage species
* Woody shrubs and trees, identification and natural history
* Earth living skills - shelter, water, fire, food
* Understanding the language of birds and basic bird identification
* Naturalist journaling skills
* Sensory awareness expansion, exercises and applications
*
**Detailed Dates:*
Getting Nature Connected kick off Intensive- March 12-14, 2010

April 16 -17, 2010
May 14-15, 2010
June 18-19, 2010
July 16-17, 2010
August 20-21, 2010

Second 6 Month Session
September 17-18, 2010
October 15-16, 2010
November 19-20, 2010
December 17-18, 2010
January 14-15, 2011
February 18-19, 2011

*(The 4 Seasons Permaculture
Course<http://www.regenerativedesign.org/courses-events/four%20seasons%20santa%20cruz>
begins
with a 2-day permaculture weekend. Getting Nature Connected will still be
held during this weekend for those not doing the permaculture course.)
*
**Instructors*:
Josh Lane, Caitlin Williams, Jon Young and guests

*Costs:**
*$825 for 6 month session including the first weekend intensive.

10% Discount if you sign up before February 15th!

*Our programs utilize a very low participant to facilitator ratio in order
to create close mentoring relationships and experiences. Because of this as
well as including Friday night lectures with acclaimed storyteller Jon
Young, you will notice that the Getting Nature Connected programs are more
expensive than the 4 Seasons Permaculture Design Course.

*Venue Info:*
Stay tuned for camping options. A covered outdoor kitchen is available to
all course participants.

*Food:**
*Participants will be responsible for their own food. Potlucking
opportunities are recommended.

*For training opportunities in 8-Shields Cultural Mentoring (The Village
Builder Program) or if you were previously an IATS participant, click
here...<http://jonyoung.org/vbt>
*

*To Register for Getting Nature Connected* click
here<http://clients.mindbodyonline.com/ws.asp?studioid=8695>
If you have questions call (831) 704-6710.

--
Devin Slavin
Regenerative Design & Mentoring

Upcoming Events:

Creating an Edible Oasis - Food Forest Course in Santa Cruz - Feb. 28
Visit www.abundanceinbalance.com for registration and more info.

Getting Nature Connected and 4-Seasons Permaculture Course in Santa Cruz, CA
- Starts March 12
Visit www.jonyoung.org/getnature for registration and more info.

Video:

Fresh video from Grow Food Party Crew Santa Cruz!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOG2ajvsi0I

Latest video from our Creating an Edible Oasis workshop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwIXhoIArVE

Check out the official Grow Food Party Crew video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwwHWln08Z4