[Scpg] The next climate change action day: October 10, 2010

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 07:30:19 PST 2010

October 10, 2010 -- 10/10/10 -- is the date for a Global Work Party to work
 towards climate solutions.  The theme is "Get to Work."

Let's begin thinking about what our local organizations might do to
participate in this global action!  CNN reported that last year's 350.org  action
on Oct 24th was "the most widespread day of political action in the
planet's history" with 5200 actions in 181 countries.

Cheers,
Linda

Dear Friends,
Well, no one said it was going to be  easy.

Last year, thanks to many of you, we built up enormous  momentum for
climate solutions. The global day of rallies you pulled off on  October 24th
turned out to "the most widespread day of political action in the  planet's
history," according to CNN, with 5200 actions in 181  countries.

And in Copenhagen that translated into 117  countries--most of the world's
nations--supporting a tough 350 target.

But it didn't translate into political victory. The biggest  polluters
wouldn't go along. So we still have work to do.

In fact,  our slogan for 2010 is "Get To Work." Get to work to start
changing our  communities, and get to work to make our leaders realize that they
actually need  to lead. We've sifted through thousands of your emails from
all over the world,  and come up with an action plan for this year that we
think may break the logjam  and get us moving. But only, of course, if we act
together to make it  happen.

The first date to mark on your calendar: October 10.  Working with our
friends at the 10:10 campaign, we're going to make the tenth  day of the tenth
month of the millennium's tenth year a real starting point for  concrete
action. We're calling it the 10/10 Global Work Party, and in  every corner of
the world we hope communities will put up solar panels, insulate  homes, erect
windmills, plant trees, paint bikepaths, launch or harvest local  gardens.
We'll make sure the world sees this huge day of effort--and we'll  use it to
send a simple message to our leaders:  "We're  working--what about you? If
we can cover the roof of the school with solar  panels, surely you can pass
the legislation or sign the treaty that will spread  our work everywhere,
and confront the climate crisis in time." 10/10/10 will  take a snapshot of a
clean energy future -- the world of 350 ppm -- and show  people why it's
worth fighting for.  It's not too early to sign up here: _www.350.org/oct10_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=B6/EncyUpaFVCjFqvdjl0kc
W+bHKESFK)

Every  nation is not created equal in this climate crisis, of course. If we
can't get  the biggest polluters and the biggest economies to change, then
we'll never win.  So we're going to focus some particular attention on
China, the United States,  and India with a Great Power Race--college and
university campuses will  compete to see who can come up with the most, and the
most creative, climate  solutions. We hope friendly competition will help
governments see that they have  a lot to gain by diving into clean energy--and a
lot to lose by missing this  opportunity.

And we'll keep figuring out ways to apply political  pressure where it
counts--in the U.S. Senate, say, where we're joining a group  of our best allies
in backing the proposed Cap-and-Dividend approach that  would stop letting
big polluters  pour carbon into the sky for free. In  other parts of the
world, we'll hold more of the climate leadership  workshops that produced so
many great leaders last year.

And as  the next UN conference approaches in Mexico in December, we'll
stage the  largest piece of public art in the planet's history--a reminder that
we have  to bring passion to bear along with science and economics if we're
going to move  this process.

We know, from the calls and emails we've been getting, that  people all
over the world are ready to go to work. We think this plan can  increase the
odds of real action. We know that we have no choice. When, years  down the
road, the next generation asks what we did to save the planet, we want  to be
able to say: "We rolled up our sleeves and got to work."  There's no
guarantee we can beat the rich and powerful interests that we're up against--but
thanks to you we've got enough momentum to have a real chance. Let's use it
now.
Onwards,

Bill McKibben and the _350.org  Team

_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=v1DhQfXe+IBLXCwyvE+SUEcW+bHKESFK) P.S. We've learned that there's great power in pictures,
and so  we decided to make an audio slideshow that walks through our plan for
2010 and  how we got here.  Please watch it _here_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OSJUCGNL5HesdSCr/N4BwEcW+bHKESFK) ,  and
share the piece with family & friends by spreading this link:
_www.350.org/audio-slideshow_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pwfLM0aptTzGMOKyeiuJc0cW+bHKESFK) .  Also, please forward this message far and
wide--2010 needs to be a year of  unprecedented growth for this movement.

P.P.S. We want to know what your  reaction is to the plan for 2010--will
you share your ideas and thoughts with  the _Global  350 Facebook Community_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nuDlmRnHK4iVV9RzZsxw+0
cW+bHKESFK)  by leaving a comment in the latest message?
(_www.facebook.com/350.org_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vE6QQ3OyHEyrrSba54/WB5+7aBdnROqO) )

You  should join us on Facebook by becoming a fan of our page at
_facebook.com/350org_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HD9xy8zQ8eLLKuGP2dtCy0cW+bHKESFK)   and follow us on twitter by visiting
_twitter.com/350_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gFoQQQ1Y6+J3ScZNe3wvs0cW+bHKESFK)

To join our  list (maybe a friend forwarded you this e-mail) visit
_www.350.org/signup_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=E3UohYLHiUZqYwjf3xVw+UcW+bHKESFK)
350.org needs your help! To support our  work, donate securely online at
_350.org/donate_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=v1GMEwr1ux8ynD+AHXUk0kcW+bHKESFK)
You  are subscribed to this list as lbuzzell at aol.com. _Click  here to
unsubscribe_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=D9WcidTRYPna9CdVsoNZUkcW+bHKESFK)
_350.org_
(http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QryFTtCY6sLJ+5WdygQEr0cW+bHKESFK)  is an international grassroots campaign that  aims
to mobilize a global climate movement united by a common call to  action.
By spreading an understanding of the science and a shared vision  for a fair
policy, we will ensure that the world creates bold and  equitable solutions
to the climate crisis. 350.org is an independent and  not-for-profit
project.
What is 350? 350 is the number that  leading scientists say is the safe
upper limit for carbon dioxide in our  atmosphere. Scientists measure carbon
dioxide in "parts per million"  (ppm), so 350ppm is the number humanity needs
to get below as soon as  possible to avoid runaway climate change. To get
there, we need a  different kind of PPM-a "people powered movement" that is
made of of  people like you in every corner of the planet.