[Scpg] FWD: Domes for Haiti ~ Needs Your Help!

John Calvert jcalvert at crystal3.com
Thu Apr 15 15:14:03 PDT 2010

*[ please forward widely ]*

[ image ]*Domes for Haiti*

This is a grassroots effort in New York to bring geodesic domes to
Haiti, built using metal conduit and recycled vinyl. The group is
fabricating portable geodesic domes made out of recycled and donated
materials from NYC's entertainment & construction industries. The
geodesic domes are 17' in diameter, 9' tall in the center, and are large
enough to house a family of five.
Open to volunteers: YES
Contact: Lopi LaRoe, info at domesforhaiti.org <mailto:info at domesforhaiti.org>

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need
JavaScript enabled to view it website <http://domesforhaiti.org/> | blog
<http://domesforhaiti.blogspot.com> | donate <http://www.domesforhaiti.org>

    Project Update
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thanks to all the volunteers who have helped on this project so far:
Serra, Larken, Allyse, Dena, Olivia, Will, Janna, Zach, Margaret, Jim,
Christopher, Laura, Duncan, Elizabeth, David, Renee, Catie, Brett,
Angie, Margie, Joe, John and Ryan. Thank you so very much.

I met with the owner of a large company whose factory is in the Brooklyn
Navy Yards. He is a very intelligent older man who supports the green
movement to the utmost. He is dedicated to using the most innovative
green technology that is available. They are building a huge green house
in the navy yard. He supports artistic expression. He is cool. I think
he likes my project. He gave his blessing for his Art Director to work
with me on creating a prototype cover to see if it's economically
feasible to fabricate the domes in his factory with his machines. I went
the day before meeting with The Boss to the factory in BK NY and their
RF Welder is enormous. They have auto cutting machines and huge printing
machines. So now we have exactly what we needed for this project. An
experienced builder and designer. Thanks! He will be working up our new
pattern this week and we can hopefully get a dry run done on the
prototype by monday, so that we can fabricate it, get all the kinks out
of it, and then get a quote on what the job costs and start running it.

The frame struts for ten domes will be ready by the 25th of this month.
I will be needing alot of help that week, packing stuff up to be
shipped. If you have time on the 26th, 27th, 28th that would be a great
help. Also, I am going to need a companion to drive the truck back from
Miami for me after I bring the stuff down to be shipped.

I am also still looking for a Kreyol speaking film maker to document
this journey to Haiti. We will pay your airfare and a small stipend in
cash, if we raise enough at the benefits coming up.

So we are making the real prototype. The first one is, in all honesty,
kind of a dud. Sorry! I wasted a whole week on this pattern that just
didn't work at all. I feel like an idiot. I wish the learning curve were
not so steep on this.

It just sets us back in the whole process. I am keeping my sights on May
1st.

In other news, Eric Klein from Can do <http://www.can-do.org/> called me
yesterday and we had a great talk. He offered to ship my domes for me
from Miami on a cruise ship! But this buys us back some time because
shipping the domes from Yonkers was going to take 18 days. From Miami it
takes 2 days. So if I rent a truck and drive the stuff to Miami, I can
fly from there. That cuts out some time, some of the time that I lost.

Also, funding. We need donations to buy tools to bring with the dome
kits to Haiti. If you donate money through paypal, you can know that
your money is going to purchase tools to bring to the people who are
rebuilding in Haiti. We have been receiving on average about 1 donation
a week and that is not enough to sustain jack. Please send in a donation
today <http://www.domesforhaiti.org>, even 20 bucks helps.

Thanks for reading.

http://domesforhaiti.org