[Scpg] Nopalitos Native Plant Nursery 15 % coupn

Kristina Mata L.A at earthlink.net
Thu May 6 21:09:14 PDT 2010

Permaculture list 15 % off special.
Check out our website for a 15% off coupon for your next visit to Nopalito

2 MORE LECTURES THIS MONTH! This Saturday, local landscape superstar Owen Dell joins us for a repeat of his last lecture, 'What to do with the Lawn'! If you are looking for tips on how, why and when to cut down on the green carpet, along with some great ideas on what to do when it is gone, join us from 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. this Saturday morning.  Owen will be selling and signing his many books, including 'Sustainable Landscaping for Dummies'.  Admission is $10 if you pre-register, $15 at the door. Call (805) 844-7449 for more info. or to register.

Next Saturday (May 15th), the great Bart O'Brien joins us for a 2-part lecture, 'Growing California's Native Sages'! The first part focuses on how to grow native plants, while Act 2 will concentrate on California's native Sages!  A great class for beginners and know-it-all's alike!  Bart is co-author of the award-winning book 'California Native Plants for the Garden (which he will sign after his talk), and is also the Director of Horticulture and Curator of the Living Collection at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden in Claremont.  He was named Horticulturalist of the Year (2005) by the Southern California Horticultural Society, and is easily one of the top 10 speakers we have ever had here at Nopalito. Admission $10 Pre-registration, $15 at the door.  (805) 844-7449.

Heirloom Veggies Like Crazy!! - We still have a great selection of heirloom vegetables at the nursery, over 30 varieties of tomatoes alone, like the hard-to-find and really sweet 'Sungold' cherry tomato, or the beautiful and delicious 'Cherokee Purple'.  We also have tons of peppers (15+ varities), squash, melons, herbs, etc.  Get 'em before our grandma does!

Last but not least, we recently got in some great, hard-to-find native plants that remind us why we got in this business in the first place.  Some of you native plant lovers know how beautiful these plants are......

Eriogonum arborescens (Santa Cruz Island Buckwheat) - A beautiful buckwheat, found originally on a few of the Channel Islands.
Makes a beautiful focal point in the garden, a dry slope or in a pot.  One of those plants that gets more beautfiul with age, like a good wine or your favorite nurseryman. Rare in nurseries! $7.99 - 1 Gallon

Mimulus 'Jack' and 'Valentine' (Sticky Monkeyflower Hybrids) - 2 of the most sought-after monkeyflowers, each perfect for a dry, lightly shady part of your garden or in a pot.  Jack has a deep wine-red and slightly purplish flower, while Valentine shows of tons of lipstick red flowers.  Both are hard to find and won't last long! $7.99 - 1 Gallon.

Eriophyllum staechadifolium 'Compacta' - A very interesting new introduction of a summer-flowering native.  This plant has attractive greyish foliage, stays super-tight (2 feet tall and wide) and has nice yellow flowers throughout the dog days of Summer.  We are currently growing this cultivar for the first time, it looks to be a real winner here on the coast, especially for those windy beach gardens. (Sorry Mojave!) $7.99 - 1 Gallon

Well, that's it for now, thanks for making it thru a very long email, as a reward.  And as always Plant Native, Enjoy Life!!

Antonio, Kenji and Rick
Nopalito Native Plant Nursery
4107 East Main Street
Ventura, CA 93003