[Scpg] Indigenous Permaculture Convergence/ 08/13/2010- Sun, 08/15/2010 /Sedalia, CO

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Jun 10 07:27:13 PDT 2010

Indigenous Permaculture Convergence

http://woodbinecenter.org/ipc
http://woodbinecenter.org/indigenouspermaculture
http://woodbinecenter.org/

Indigenous Permaculture Convergence
Date: Fri, 08/13/2010 - 4:00pm - Sun, 08/15/2010 - 3:00pm

Join us for the first Indigenous Permaculture Convergence. Learn about
indigenous permaculture principles and practice. Network with other
indigenous people, permaculturists, and community activists. Connect
with ongoing and planned indigenous permaculture classes, projects, and
events. Attend workshops on traditional ecological knowledge, land
struggles, decolonization, and eco-cultural restoration.

Cost: $350 by May 31, 2010. $400 after June 1, 2010. Cost includes meals
and lodging. Limited scholarship and work exchange opportunities available.

Contact: info at woodbinecenter.org
Phone: 303.380.7984

(

Indigenous Permaculture: An operational framework

Woodbine Ecology Center was created to address a basic question: How
do we learn to live together in this place? It doesn't take very
protracted observation to figure out that, as a society, we have
focused much of our energy in teaching our children how to fear each
other and how to exploit the natural world. The combined, and
related, social and ecological crisis that we are facing is simply
the product of that design. If we are to find new ways to be with
each other and with the natural world, then it makes a lot of sense
to start looking at how people and cultures have lived, and continue
to live, in this place since time immemorial. To truly re-create
sustainable communities, we must look at the sustainable communities
that were here before us as well as the reasons and process through
which many of those communities have been severely damaged or
outrightly destroyed.

For us, indigenous peoples and cultures and their values that many
still hold, are not only a historical curiosity but a living part of
our everyday work. Indigenous peoples have been an active part of the
formation and operation of Woodbine since day one. Woodbine has also
actively included people whose ancestry and cultural upbringing
originates from other lands. The Woodbine community hails from many
different places. We are indigenous peoples, descendants of slaves,
indentured servants, gentry, refugees, and voluntary immigrants.
Regardless of how we, or our ancestors, came to this place, we find
ourselves-people of all colors and nations-here to stay. This is now
our home and the home of our children and great-great grandchildren.
What brings us together is our common vision of a better place for
our children and future generations, our desire to build a world
where we are, again, a part of the natural world.

One of the prisms through which Woodbine strives to address this
vision, is permaculture. As the "cutting edge of a 10,000 year old
idea" permaculture offers one of the most exciting possibilities for
re-learning how to become native to our places and how to integrate
traditional ecological knowledge with modern science.

At Woodbine we explicitly use the term indigenous permaculture to
define and describe our practice and application of permaculture. We
are neither the first, nor the only, to use this term and in our
research and interactions with others who practice indigenous
permaculture we have found that there is no clear, single definition
of the term. Given that permaculture itself often defies a single
definition, this should not be very surprising. However, we believe
that words have meaning, that they are sacred and that when we use
them we give birth to our reality. As such, we provide here a brief
synopsis of our own, constantly evolving, understanding of indigenous
permaculture and what it means to us. This is not meant to be an
authoritative or exclusive definition of the term. Rather, we humbly
offer our own framework to the larger indigenous and permaculture
communities, hoping that it can foster some greater discussion,
clarity, and understanding of our practices.

Our understanding of indigenous permaculture revolves around five
basic principles:
	1.	The recollection and recognition of, and respect for,
indigenous contributions.
For us this means more than giving lip service to generic indigenous
contributions. We strive for active, respectful and reciprocal
contact and collaboration with indigenous communities in our places
and work to learn about traditional ways of being, always careful to
not engage, consciously and unconsciously, in cultural appropriation.
We recognize and cultivate leadership of indigenous peoples in their
communities as well as our diverse organizations. We commit to share
our own knowledge and to give back to indigenous communities.
	2.	Traditional Ecological Knowledge has always been
specific to a place and culture.
All indigenous and traditional ecological knowledge systems have been
specific to a place and have been transmitted across generations
through cultural mechanisms, including storytelling and ceremonies
which are specific to the places they originated from. While it is
useful to understand some of the general principles common to most
systems of indigenous knowledge, it is also important to develop a
strong understanding of and appreciation of the specific cultures
within which these systems come alive.
	3.	Decolonization of our minds, our language, our work,
and our communities.
We live in a colonial society and are the products of historical
colonial processes. This is not simply something that occurred in the
past and we can now all happily move on with our lives. These
processes are very much alive today and indigenous communities
continue to be under direct and indirect attack. Much of the mining
of fossil fuels as well as of the rare metals such as lithium and
neodymium which are supposed to fuel the new green revolution takes
place in indigenous territories. In order to come together as
indigenous and non-indigenous people and build a better world for the
next seven generations, we must recognize this history and commit to
transforming its legacy. For us, this means an explicit commitment to
stand with communities under attack, and to work with them to defend
and restore their culture and traditions, as well as help them assess
and incorporate new technologies and skills in a culturally
appropriate way. It also requires a commitment to become aware of our
full history and decolonize our language, our work, our processes and
to challenge eurocentrism and white privilege in our organizations,
communities, and permaculture at large.
	4.	Being and becoming native to this place.
Permaculturists are fond of saying that we are all indigenous, or
that we all come from indigenous roots, but the reality is that being
native to a place does not happen overnight. To quote Luther Standing
Bear, "[m]en must be born and reborn to belong. Their bodies must be
formed of the dust of their forefathers' bones." We recognize that
there are significant differences between being native by having been
raised in a culture and community that is part of this place since
time immemorial, and striving to become native by learning how to
live in a place as part of it. We also recognize that permaculture
and its call for "protracted and thoughtful observation" offers an
excellent set of tools and practices that we can use in our journey
to become truly native to our places.
	5.	Eco-cultural restoration.
The preservation and restoration of natural places requires the
preservation and restoration of the cultures that have lived in those
places since time immemorial. It is not accidental that some of the
places in the world where bio-diversity is the most threatened are
also places where indigenous languages are endangered. We are also
working towards the reintegration of  humans and nature by
challenging many of the distinctions so prevalent in the West,
between the domesticated and the wild. This is where we disagree with
one of the permaculture aphorisms, "stay out of the bush, it is
already in good order." Indigenous cultures have often not only lived
in the "bush" but have also played an active role in maintaining and
enhancing its "good order."
It is not possible to articulate all permeations of these principles
in such a short space, but we do hope that we can inspire some
thought and discussion around them. In the future we will present in
more detail some of the indigenous permaculture projects that we are
involved in and share the lessons and experiences that we are gaining
from our application of these principles. We are also organizing an
Indigenous Permaculture Convergence at Woodbine, August 13-15, 2010.
We are bringing together indigenous community activists and leaders,
permaculturists and anyone who is practicing or interested in
indigenous permaculture, to learn from each other and share our
experiences as we continue to create a better future for all of our
children. We invite you to join us at the Convergence as well as
participate in our ongoing development of these principles.
For more information please contact us.
* A version of this article has been published in Issue 75 (Spring
2010) of Permaculture Activist. Read 188 times)