[Scpg] [Fwd: [ngoma] Volunteers needed at Oxnard non-profit garden project]

John Calvert jcalvert at crystal3.com
Fri Jun 18 11:37:05 PDT 2010

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[ngoma] Volunteers needed at Oxnard non-profit garden project
Date: 	Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:26:19 -0400
From: 	eric humel <ehumel at excite.com>
To: 	ngoma at yahoogroups.com

Greetings
We are a non-profit, 1 acre educational garden open to engaging
volunteers who wish to learn about large-scale gardening, and to help
us cultivate and harvest our vegetables and fruit that we donate to
local food pantries in Oxnard.

We can always use extra help, with everything from compost making,
compost tea making and application, bed preparation, planting,
harvesting, weeding, soil mix making, seed planting, seed saving,
fruit tree and vine pruning, garden irrigation system installation,
maintenance, and management, volunteer management, and biodynamic
preparation-making and application.

Some of us have training in permaculture design, keyline design,
holistic management, and biodynamic agriculture, and we are open to
knowledge sharing and informal education.

Our main harvest days are on Wednesdays from 1:30 p.m. until 3 p.m.
Saturdays are our "work/play" days at the Garden from 9 a.m. until
2:30 p.m. (whenever you can come during that time is great!). We eat
lunch together on Saturdays. A vegetarian lunch is provided by one of
our volunteers, so you don't need to bring anything except for water
and a snack. Sometimes we bring something to share - cookies or
fruit, but that's not expected of new volunteers. Make sure to bring
a hat and sunscreen, since it can get hot, and wear clothes you can
get dirty in. All tools are at the garden. No experience is
necessary for any of the tasks - just a willingness to learn and have
fun!
We are also in need of an irrigation master - someone who is willing
to learn about garden irrigation systems including drip systems, and
would like to manage the weekly watering needs of the garden. This
position requires a commitment to being at the garden briefly 3 days a
week to turn on the watering system and make sure everything is
working well - so living close by is essential.

We also have several projects happening related to grant funding we
recently received. One of these projects is a container gardening
educational program in Oxnard that happens twice a month. The purpose
of this project is to provide resources and skills in growing food
close to home in small spaces and with limited resources. We need
Spanish speakers (or Mixtec) for this project, particularly if they
are experienced in growing food in containers. We will also have
upcoming workshops open to the whole community on Compost Basics,
Nutrition, and garden-related topics. Please let me know if you have
any skills that you might be able to contribute to these training
programs, and I can get you plugged in. Whether or not you do, you
are welcome to come out and help during our normal Wed. and Sat. hours
at the Garden!

And traditional agricultural rhythms are welcome during work hours :)

Eric Humel and Katerina Friesen

--
Community Roots Garden
www.communityrootsgarden.org

__._,_.___
Reply to sender
<mailto:ehumel at excite.com?subject=Volunteers%20needed%20at%20Oxnard%20non-profit%20garden%20project>
<mailto:ngoma at yahoogroups.com?subject=Volunteers%20needed%20at%20Oxnard%20non-profit%20garden%20project>
| Start a New Topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ngoma/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZW4zYmFtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM2NzMwODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA2MTEzODgxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI3Njg4NTU5NQ-->

Messages in this topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ngoma/message/21494;_ylc=X3oDMTM2NHNmOTQ3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM2NzMwODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA2MTEzODgxBG1zZ0lkAzIxNDk0BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI3Njg4NTU5NQR0cGNJZAMyMTQ5NA-->
(1)
Recent Activity:

    * New Members
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ngoma/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmb2o2bGVqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM2NzMwODkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA2MTEzODgxBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNzY4ODU1OTU-?o=6>