[Scpg] TODAY!/STAND IN THE SAND Gathering for the Gulf - Sunday, June 27th - 1:00 p.m. @ West Beach

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Jun 27 09:21:52 PDT 2010

[]

As many of you know, Stand in the Sand: A
Gathering for the Gulf is just a few days away!
The Fund for Santa Barbara has been offering
critical support to this effort since its
inception and we are inviting YOU to join in!

  WHAT: Stand In The Sand: A Gathering For The Gulf

WHEN: Sunday, June 27th – 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.>

WHERE: West Beach, Santa Barbara

WHO: All Of Us

As a community that experienced first-hand the
environmental and economic devastation that
followed our own Santa Barbara oil spill 40 years
ago, we join together to STAND IN THE SAND
Sunday, June 27th from 1-4pm at West Beach. This
is an opportunity to express our sympathy for the
human and environmental victims of the Gulf Coast
disaster and offer our support and solidarity.

The event will include a special greeting with a
Chumash blessing and observance by members of our
local Chumash community, to be followed by a
welcome from Santa Barbara Mayor Helene Schneider
and other notable guest speakers. Local
non-profits will be available to highlight their
work around coastal protection and energy alternatives.

The critical mass will culminate at 3pm, where we
will line up at water's edge to form a gigantic,
yellow "Human Boom" to symbolically stem the rise
of the incoming black tide now plaguing the entire Gulf Coast.

In this one symbolic action to STAND IN THE SAND,
let's make it loud and clear to our Gulf Coast
neighbors that we, the community of Santa Barbara, support them.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:

SPREAD THE WORD!
    * Tell others, post it to your Facebook page,
your Twitter account and forward this email on to your friends!

ATTEND THE EVENT!
    * Ride a bike, walk, bus or carpool to the
event...help us conserve resources
    * WEAR YELLOW to participate in the Human Boom
    * BRING SIGNS to express yourself

DONATE:

Fund for Santa Barbara has created the Stand in
the Sand Recovery Fund. This fund will support
humanitarian, ecological, and economic recovery
in the Gulf Coast region, and will work with key
grassroots partner organizations in the region to
ensure prompt and strategic use of all funds
raised. Donate online
<http://www.standinthesand.com/>http://www.standinthesand.com/
or send your check to the Fund for Santa Barbara
at 26 West Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara, CA  93101.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET MORE INVOLVED WITH STAND
IN THE SAND, WE NEED VOLUNTEERS:
    * SATURDAY, JUNE 26, 3PM - 128 Sola St. next
to Alice Keck Park.  We will meet to form a mini
'Human Boom' to snake through Solstice park
festivities to advertise and get people to the event.
    * SATURDAY, JUNE 26, 6PM - Chapala and
Cabrillo on the beach- We will gather on the
beach to do a 'dry run' and scope out the event
site. Your attendance strongly ENCOURAGED.
    * SUNDAY, JUNE 27, 9AM - Stage building,
decorations, and 'get set to go' time!  Show up on Sunday June 27

CONTACT / FOR MORE INFORMATION

<mailto:standinthesand2010 at gmail.com>standinthesand2010 at gmail.com

http://www.standinthesand.com/

<http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=134149059931527&ref=ts>http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=134149059931527&ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stand-in-the-Sand/133997346612506?ref=ts

See you on the sand,

Geoff Green, Executive Director
THE FUND FOR SANTA BARBARA
Celebrating 30 Years of “Change, Not Charity”
26 West Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara, CA  93101
120 East Jones Street - Suite #127, Santa Maria, CA 93454
Phone: (805) 962-9164 / Fax: (805) 965-0217
Email: ggreen at fundforsantabarbara.org
Website:
<http://www.fundforsantabarbara.org/>http://www.fundforsantabarbara.org
On Facebook:
<http://www.facebook.com/FundforSantaBarbara>http://www.facebook.com/FundforSantaBarbara

**************************************
THE FUND FOR SANTA BARBARA is a nonprofit
community foundation that supports organizations
working for social, economic, environmental &
political change in Santa Barbara County. This
includes grassroots organizing against
discrimination of all kinds, supporting the
rights & dignity of working people, promoting
community self-determination, organizing for
peace and nonviolence, working to improve the
quality of our environment, and building
cross-issue/cross-constituency coalitions and
alliances. THE FUND raises money through
donations of all sizes in order to provide grants
and technical assistance. Since its founding in
1980, THE FUND FOR SANTA BARBARA has awarded
nearly $4 million to over 800 projects.