[Scpg] Mandatory Green Buildings by Jan 2011/ Green Technology News CALGreen /California Green Building Standards Code

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jul 21 06:07:46 PDT 2010

http://www.green-technology.org/green_technology_magazine/calgree.htm

In January 2011, a new era of building will begin in California.
CALGreen, the nation's first state-wide green building code, will
become mandatory. Architects, developers, plan checkers, inspectors,
building officials and others involved in designing and approving new
construction will be expected to adhere to new mandatory guidelines
on issues ranging from water efficiency and conservation to indoor
air quality.

In cooperation with the California Building Standards Commission and
the California Department of Housing and Community Development, Green
Technology is developing a series of training workshops to help raise
awareness of the changes that CALGreen will bring and to help
building officials and the design community prepare for
implementation.
For the last year, Green Technology has offered sessions on CALGreen
at its events, and at the 2010 Green California Summit the Building
Standards Commission also hosted an information center on the Expo
floor, with experts available to answer code questions. The strong
response to a pre-Summit workshop focused on CALGreen was evidence of
increased awareness of the code and the beginnings of serious efforts
to take stock of necessary operational changes.

"Our conversations with building officials suggest that at present,
awareness of the code varies greatly from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction," says Green Technology editor in chief Carl Smith. "It
is also apparent that we're entering into new territory in many ways,
from what will be asked of building inspectors to the documentation
necessary to show that paints, flooring or adhesives meet the new air
quality standards."

The first round of workshops, beginning with a May 20 event
http://www.green-technology.org/calgrin Pasadena, California, will be
half-day regional events that offer basic orientation to the code and
an overview of the new provisions. These will be followed later in
the year by a second round of events offering more in-depth training.

"California is the first state in the nation to make green building
mandatory," said Smith. "It's hard to overstate how significant it is
that we are entering an era of healthy, efficient buildings. We
consider this one of the most far-reaching policies the state has
enacted, and hope to work with the Building Standards Commission to
develop training events and materials that help this pioneering
effort succeed."

"The mandatory provisions of CALGreen go into effect in January and
anyone involved in designing and/or building new commercial or
residential structures in California needs to know about the new
requirements," said Dave Walls, executive director of the California
Building Standards Commission. "We are pleased to be working with
Green Technology in their implementation of CALGreen educational
programs that will reach stakeholders throughout the state."

For updates on the CALGreen initiative, visit www.green-technology.org/CALGreen
To read Green Technology's interview with Dave Walls, executive
director of the California Building Standards Commission, click here.
By Racquel Palmese
He's been called a maverick, a game changer and sometimes just plain
crazy for trying to rewrite the California Building Standards Code to
greatly increase water and energy efficiency standards, to lower the
use of volatile organic compounds (VOC's) in building materials, and
to increase the percentages of construction waste that must be
diverted from landfills. But under a directive from the Governor's
office, Dave Walls, executive director of the California Building
Standards Commission (CBSC), along with a collaborative team of state
agency and industry stakeholders, did just that. The new green
building code, now known by its acronym, CALGreen, has officially
been adopted.
It is the first-in-the-nation mandatory green building standards
code. Voluntary for the time being, it will become mandatory on
January 1, 2011. Once a building passes the inspection process, the
property can then be labeled as CALGreen compliant.
"This is something no other state in the country has done -
integrating green construction practices into the very fabric of the
construction code," said Tom Sheehy, Acting Secretary of the
California State and Consumer Services Agency and Chair of the
Building Standards Commission. "CALGreen will essentially
revolutionize the way we build structures. By implementing a
sensible, cost-effective foundation of green practices, our state
will usher in a new era of greener communities."
Among the new requirements under CALGreen, every new building in
California will have to reduce water consumption by 20 percent,
divert 50 percent of construction waste from landfills and install
low VOC materials. Separate indoor and outdoor water meters for
nonresidential buildings and moisture-sensing irrigation systems for
large landscape projects will be required. There will be mandatory
inspections of energy systems, such as furnaces and air conditioners
for nonresidential buildings over 10,000 square feet. According to
the California Air Resources Board, the mandatory provisions will
reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 3,000,000 metric tons by 2020.
The unanimous adoption of CALGreen by the CBSC was announced on
January 12. However, leading up to the commission session there was a
powerful pushback effort from environmental and green building
groups. The USGBC, Sierra Club and the National Resources Defense
Council tried to derail it, saying the verification system would be
confusing. Hundreds of architects, engineers and builders sent
messages to the governor opposing the CALGreen label.
In an interview with Green Technology, Walls addresses these
concerns, gives the background of the path to adoption for this
groundbreaking work and discusses how it will be implemented.

California has taken leadership in green building for years under
Governor Schwarzenegger. How does the new green building code hook up
to the Governor's green prerogatives?
The governor has been taking the lead over the years by signing
legislation such as AB32 [California's Global Warming Act] relating
to greenhouse gas emissions. A big part of that, of course, is a
focus on buildings and reducing their greenhouse gas emissions. He
further directed us to develop and adopt a green building code that
would assist in the effort to affect overall climate change. It
really fits right in with his whole policy and beliefs given the
environmental issues facing our state, our nation, and the world. In
2004 there was also the Governor's executive order S-20 04, which
calls for the greening of all state government buildings. That kind
of kicked off everything that is happening now.
Would you give an overview of the California Green Building Standards Code?
The green building code was specifically designed to reduce the
impact of all buildings in the state on the environment. To do that,
we had to establish a minimum mandatory set of standards that would
apply to all buildings - schools, hospitals, residential occupancies,
as well as commercial facilities. The ultimate goal is to provide a
uniform and consistent code that can be used in coordination with all
our other building codes. Our effort was focused on not only helping
local building officials and governments, but the building industry
as well, to give them something uniform and consistent and a
direction they can head in.

What is the meaning of the term "CALGreen"?
CALGreen is the abbreviation for the California Green Building
Standards Code, short for California Green Code. It's what we started
calling it, and it stuck.

What are some highlights of the new code?
Commissioning stands out as one of the key components that is not in
any other part of our building codes. Construction waste diversion -
that's really not part of our other building codes either. Those are
good examples. There are reductions in volatile organic compounds
[VOCs] content in materials that are used in the building, also not
part of our other building codes.
Our existing codes that deal with water reduction in toilets and
water fixtures, but in this code we have combined and ratcheted them
down so that the minimum mandatory requirement will be a 20 percent
reduction in indoor potable water use and 50 percent in landscape
irrigation. Those are just a few of the key elements.

This applies to new buildings and also refurbished buildings?
Our goal now is to focus on new buildings, so it would not apply to
existing buildings at this time. Our next step will be to include
existing buildings in the green code.

Does the green code apply to all residential, government and
commercial buildings in California?
All buildings regulated by state code. Federal buildings are exempt;
buildings built on Indian land, or reservations, are exempt. So there
are some exceptions. But yes, ninety-nine point nine percent of the
buildings built in the state are regulated by these codes.

You have been personally dedicated to developing and implementing
CALGreen. In fact, there were those who said you could never get it
done, especially with all the challenges facing California now. How
did it all come about?
It really came from the administration. They came to us. We update
all of our building codes triennially, every three years. Right after
we completed it three years ago in January, the administration said
okay, now what can you do?  Our building codes were kind of behind
the national standards, and once they were updated, immediately the
administration came to us and said, "The governor believes in
greening the environment. What can you do with your codes to move
towards that?"  So we looked around and tried to figure out what we
could do and began building from there.
What we couldn't find was another green code out there, which really
surprised me. I'm thinking we're behind the eight ball and we're
going to have to play catch-up, but it wasn't that way. There were a
lot of guidelines out there such as LEED, Green Globes, Build It
Green, Global Green. I think USGBC cites about seventy different
guidelines in the United States alone.
Part of the Governor's direction was to not reinvent the wheel. He
told us to take a look at these programs, glean from them what you
can, and then create a code. That's really what we did. We believe
that's the direction we need to go as a state, as a country, and even
as a world. We need to really make an
impact on the environment.
What do you say to people who feel there is doubt about manmade
climate change and that there are so many other things to worry about
right now, such as getting the state's economy back on track?
I know there's a lot of pushback from individuals that don't believe
in climate change, but my argument to that is you can't say that all
the things that are in this code aren't good. How can you say
conserving water is not a good thing?  Conserving wood, steel, all
the resources that are out there - how can you say that's not a good
thing?  Conserving energy, making buildings more energy efficient,
those are all positive moves regardless of the politics of climate
change. I'm saying for those who don't believe in it, this is still
all positive, and that's how I'm able to keep pushing this through.

People might also say that it's not good timing, we can't afford this
right now. What do you say to that?
For all of the mandatory measures we placed in our code, we did a
cost benefit study. So everything shows that you're getting a
significant benefit. If it's indoor air quality improved by reducing
volatile organic compounds, for example, you're going to get a health
benefit. Studies have shown that when there's better air in an office
building for example, you're going to have less sick time and more
productivity. That goes for commercial buildings and for schools as
well.
The other thing is when you save water and energy, you actually can
see that savings in your bill. Ultimately you get a payback on many
of these things. We tried to look very carefully and work with
industry on identifying those very concerns. We didn't make it
mandatory to install solar panels, for example, because there is a
high upfront cost to that. Everything you see in the green code has
had a cost benefit ratio developed for it.

There's voluntary compliance right now. How are people are receiving it?
We've had a lot of positive feedback. In fact there are some cities,
such as the city of Irvine and the city of Calabasas that have
already adopted it as mandatory. And there's also an international
green construction code under development. I'm on the committee that
is developing that code, and they are using the California code as a
key resource because we are the only green building code out there
right now.

The code is voluntary until 2011, when it becomes mandatory. How will
this work?
The way it works is once the Building Standards Commission has
actually adopted  the code, which it just has, we then have to
formalize and publish it. This is part of our triennial update of the
California Building Standards Code, so we have to publish the
building, mechanical, plumbing, all the other codes at the same time.
Working with our publishers, they tell us it will take until June or
July. By state law, it only becomes effective 180 days after
publication. The proposed effective date is January 1, 2011.

What happens when it shifts into mandatory compliance?
I don't think you could ever accomplish any of this without getting
some pushback. There's always someone who's not going to be happy. We
have engaged environmental groups, labor and  industry - architects
and engineers also. We've tried to get them involved and to help them
understand the code, and to see what kind of impact it might have.
Is there somebody who's not paying attention and a year from now will
be saying, "Hey, what happened? What's going on?" I think there will
be. But for the most part, our role is to get the information out,
like we did at the Green California Schools Summit, like we will be
doing at the Green California Summit in March in Sacramento. We're
trying to get the word out as soon as possible as to what's coming
and to help all stakeholders get prepared for it. Part of that 180
days I'm talking about is to provide manufacturers and builders a
chance to gear up and get ready for all the code changes, not just
the green code.

Almost as soon as the adoption of CALGreen was announced, there was
significant pushback from some environmental groups. Among the
concerns voiced were that the code's implementation is confusing and
that it could lower standards already voluntarily in place through
certification programs such as the USGBC's LEED system. How would you
respond?
Our proposals were supported by two organizations that have programs
similar to the USGBC's, California Green Builder and Green Building
Initiative/Global Green. However, there were several organizations
that expressed concerns that we did not agree with. It's worth noting
that we did have a lot of support for our positions. For example,
they stated that the code does not have a verification system, but in
fact the code will be subjected to the long-standing, successful
enforcement infrastructure that the state has established to enforce
its health, safety, fire, energy, and structural building codes. The
existing enforcement practices will make verification of the Green
Code for local building inspectors a simple transition.
On the inferiority issue, the state has not worked on a comparison,
and these organizations did not provide information to substantiate
their claims. However, the building industry did state that the
residential provisions are at least equal to existing programs.
Lastly, many stakeholders have stated that the code will provide
clarity to the marketplace and not confusion.
If I'm a small business, a building contractor, for example, how do I
get trained on complying with the green building code?
We're sending out a newsletter pretty quick, and we'll have it on our
website also. We're getting out to organizations that may already
have training facilities and asking how we can work with them to get
the word out, to get their members and interested parties trained on
building codes issues. We've contacted U.C. Davis, and we're working
with community colleges. We're trying to reach out as much as we can
over this next year. Our focus up until now has been to get the code
adopted, and that's taken a lot of our concentration and time. Now we
will be able to shift that focus towards getting the education and
training out there.

Is the code available on your website?
The 2008 version of the code is online for free on our website right
now. Now that the adoption has been done, we are combining all the
efforts of the different agencies and will have the final version
online for free for anybody that wants to look at it. That could be
as soon as the end of January.

What would you say to builders, architects and contractors who are
worried about the economy and about what it will cost them in time
and money to make these changes?
I was a contractor, too, and still have my contractor's license. Not
only was I a contractor,  I was also a local enforcement official. So
I feel their pain, and I try to keep all of that in perspective as we
develop and move forward with these codes. I've kind of been on
several sides of this fence, which helps as we move through the
process.
I just believe in our economy. I believe it's going to turn around,
and I believe this is going to be part of the turnaround. A lot of
people are saying this will create jobs, that our code is very much a
part of the whole green movement. We are hearing that from the
commercial industry, the building industry - they believe that this
will create jobs and that it's going to be a good thing ultimately.
Every change comes, we adjust and we move on.
Thank you.

For details on the CALGreen go to http://images.emaildirect.com/clients/
govpressoffice847/GreenBuildingCodeOnepager.pdf.

For the CALGreen website, go to: http://www.CCBSC.ca.gov/
CALGreen/default.htm

For the CCBSC's response to criticism from environmental groups go
to: http://images.emaildirect.com/clients/govpressoffice847/
GreenBuildingCodeOnepagerMythvsFact.pdf.