[Scpg] the Human Right to Water resolution passed in the UN!

Barbara Wishingrad seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 19:58:32 PDT 2010

from change.org:

Congratulations and thank you!

We just found out that the UN General Assembly has voted in favor of the
resolution to recognize the human right to water!

The Bolivian government introduced a resolution to recognize water and
sanitation as human rights, and despite much concern that the U.S. and other
countries may try to defeat this provision, it passed with overwhelming support.
The final vote was 124 countries in favor and 41 abstaining, including the U.S.

After its very active lobbying campaign, the U.S. abstention is a victory in
this case. This is great news, and a huge step in the right direction!

Thank you for taking action on this issue. Because of you and the more than
ten-year fight by our network of international allies, we are clearly on our way
toward legally binding recognition of the human right to water at the United
Nations!

You can read more about the victory here:
http://environment.change.org/blog/view/in_historic_vote_un_declares_water_is_a_human_right

Best,
Darcey O'Callaghan
International Policy Director
Food & Water Watch

P.S.  We'll keep our website updated with more news on the vote as we get it.
You can stay updated at www.foodandwaterwatch.org

Darcey O'Callaghan
International Policy Director
Food & Water Watch
1616 P Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20036

Food & Water Watch is a nonprofit consumer organization that works to ensure
clean water and safe food. We challenge the corporate control and abuse of our
food and water resources by empowering people to take action and by transforming
the public consciousness about what we eat and drink.