[Scpg] Pomagranate Guild

John Calvert jcalvert at crystal3.com
Wed Aug 11 11:40:19 PDT 2010

googling...

poms are native to Iran and are self-polinating.
http://www.rirdc.gov.au/programs/established-rural-industries/pollination/pomegranate.cfm

//Pomegranates are relatively free of most pests and diseases. Minor
problems are leaf and fruit spot and foliar damage by white flies,
thrips, mealybugs and scale insects.//
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html

companion plant to reduce pests and encourage beneficial insects...

//With trap cropping <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_crop> the
*Nasturtium* proves to be an excellent example. Nasturtiums has all the
properties of being the perfect companion plant for crops like broad
beans, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, corn, _*pomegranate*_, quince,
radish, and tomato as it will trap whitefly, aphids and red spider mite.
The added bonus with Nasturtiums is that the fresh leaves, flowers and
seeds can be added to the diet to help treat chest ailments, nasal
congestion and even emphysema. Try pickled seeds and leaves to fight
colds and flu (influenza).//
http://www.landscape-and-garden.com/garden-soil/keeping-soil-healthy.aspx

//This year during the winter i weeded under the tree, got rid of all of
the tree's competition which i had not realized it had so many things
under it competing with it.. i threw most of my winter's produce scraps
under the tree trying to help build better soil for it. Just yesterday I
was under it weeding again and i planted about 150 onion and garlic
bulbs under it in the hopes to discourage bugs as well as fertilized it
with organic fertilizer.. The tree has never looked so healthy, nor has
it ever bloomed as much as it is right now. I'd guess it has between 300
and 400 blooms on the tree right now and about 100 that have already
just fallen off without turning into fruit... //   //I underplanted our
pomegranite tree with a mixture of native wildflowers i.e. California
Poppies, Desert Lupine, a drought tolerant Tohono O'odham pea (from
Native Seed Search), borage, nastertium, and Etoi onions.//
http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/3959_0/organic-practices/my-problem-pomegranate

Other compatibles (?) ... dwarf citrus, passionfruit, goji berry,
mulberry (potted), thornless blackberry (potted).

JC