[Scpg] please stop saying "peak water"

Fitzsimmons, Mark A PWR Mark.Fitzsimmons at pwr.utc.com
Thu Aug 12 15:04:52 PDT 2010

When people use terms like "peak water" they close minds to learning
something new about pollution and how we can forestall it. There is no
such thing as a Hubbert's peak for water, but there is a huge population
problem and a pollution problem, both for water and arable land, but
these are renewable resources and the issue is not that they will go
away and never exist again, the issue is that the lentgh of time or the
cost to recover is too great for our species to recover without a lot of
pain. Even now (especially now) there is even more rain falling in many
places than before, a trend that will continue. You open yourself to ad
hominem attacks when you speak in these terms.

For example, if dirty water and famine cause worldwide population
decline, the water will be clean again in many places. For example: one
could dredge river deltas and sediment plains from oceans and dump that
fertile soil back on the continent where they can be used again. For
example, you can capture rain water and use it before it becomes
polluted.

Talk about pollution and overpopulation and overuse rather than
exhaustion of these resources. We want to awaken people to the
possibility of a positive outcome, not turn them against us.