[Scpg] Community College Training for Managing Green Job New york Times Aug 25/10

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Aug 27 06:42:00 PDT 2010

Community College Training for Managing Green Job

By
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/o/elizabeth_olson/index.html?inline=nyt-per>ELIZABETH
OLSON

  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/education/26GREEN.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

Published: August 25, 2010

BEYOND “green-collar” jobs, like retrofitting a
home to conserve energy or helping build a wind
farm, an energy-conscious economy will need a new
generation of environmentally smart managers, and
that’s where
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/c/community_colleges/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>community
colleges are stepping up with new courses and
degree programs.

The federal government is pouring $500 million
into training for green jobs, and the sector
devoted to energy efficiency is estimated to grow
as much as fourfold in the next decade, to some
1.3 million people, according to the Lawrence
Berkeley National Laboratory. Its
<http://eetd.lbl.gov/EA/EMP/reports/lbnl-3163e.pdf>March
2010 report was financed by the Energy Department.

Green-collar jobs have grabbed the public’s
attention, and educational institutions are
starting programs to train the managers who will
oversee the technologies, manufacturing processes
and materials that will be used to conserve
energy and help safeguard natural resources.

Some community colleges already are offering
two-year degrees in environmental management and
certificates for managers who want to add green
qualifications - which means learning more about
the environmental aspects of a particular field -
to their résumés. These colleges are offering
some courses and training on campus as well as
online.

Lane Community College, in Eugene, Ore., for
example, is offering two-year programs - for
associate degrees in applied sciences - in energy
management, renewable energy or water
conservation.

The college, which has an organic garden and
changed its faucets and toilets to conserve
water, was an early proponent of environmental
education, and its degree programs are serving as
models for 10 other community colleges, according
to Roger Ebbage, director of energy programs at
the college’s Northwest Energy Education
Institute.

“When we first started two decades ago we were
focused on community and residential energy
efficiency,” Mr. Ebbage said. “Now we are
preparing people to go into the commercial sector
anywhere in the country.”

The graduates are in great demand, said Mr. Ebbage.

“They are working for utilities, on engineering
jobs, for school districts, cities and the
military,” he said. “We’re not going to be in
areas where there is no job demand,” he added,
noting that some short-term green job training
programs have been criticized because they do not
always lead to employment in the current economy.

The demand for its managerial graduates prompted
Lane Community College to accelerate its two-year
program, with help from federal money, starting
this month. The college is beginning a trial
program that allows students to earn their energy
management degrees in fewer academic terms. Their
tuition is subsidized as part of the federal
stimulus funds for green courses and training,
including a $2,500 tuition tax credit.

Matthew Heflin, 49, decided to get his energy
management degree after spending 18 years working
at a
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/hewlett_packard_corporation/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Hewlett-Packard
lab that researched new products. Mr. Heflin, a
military veteran who does not have a college
degree, wanted to be prepared for the green
economy.

“I was first interested in wind or solar, but
then I heard about the energy management
program,” said Mr. Heflin, whose previous job had
been eliminated. “Now I’m taking math, physics
and three energy management classes, including
sustainability.”

Mr. Heflin is among the program’s 25 students,
most 25 to 55 years old and many displaced from
industries like computers and aerospace. Math and
sciences are part of the program, so applicants
have to have at least an algebra background.

The students can also take the college’s other
continuing education courses, including
sustainable landscaping, and cross-disciplinary
courses like natural resource economics,
environmental politics and global ecology.

Last year, the college won a $890,000 grant from
the federal government - not stimulus money - for
its accelerated program. An additional grant is
being used to help 10 other community colleges
across the country begin or enhance their
programs in energy management over a three-year
period, said Mr. Ebbage.

Those colleges include American River College in
Sacramento; Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
in Green Bay; Delaware Technical and Community
College; and
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/w/west_virginia_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org>West
Virginia University, in Parkersburg.

Delaware Technical and Community College, which
has campuses in Dover, Georgetown and Wilmington,
will be offering an applied energy program to
train energy managers and “green power”
technicians starting in September, said Stephanie
Smith, the college’s academic vice president.

“Lane is the national leader in this program, and
we are modeling our program on them,” she said.
The college plans to offer a two-year associate’s
degree in applied science, first in energy
management and then, starting in the 2011
academic year, in
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/solar_energy/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>solar
energy management.

The program, which opened student enrollment this
month, will have 30 students, both entering
freshmen and older people trying to retool their
skills, said Ms. Smith.

Such training is also being offered in rural
areas, with online environmental degrees and
certificates, according to a survey of 321
community colleges by researchers at the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_louisville/index.html?inline=nyt-org>University
of Louisville’s National Research Center for
Career and Technical Education.

Rod P. Githens, one of the authors and assistant
professor of work force education at the
University of Louisville, said many of the green
learning programs were for workers in transition
and required education beyond a high school
diploma but less than a four-year degree.

A few, like the College of Southern Maryland, in
La Plata, offer management programs, including
one in environmental planning, and a separate
program in environmental management. These
programs provide a letter of recognition, and not
a degree.

For those seeking a four-year degree, the
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory study found
that about two dozen four-year colleges and
universities across the country offer degree
programs with courses that are directly relevant
to the energy efficiency sector.

A version of this article appeared in print on
August 26, 2010, on page F8 of the New York
edition.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
  www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous