[Scpg] steep permaculture slope ideas?

Dan Hemenway permacltur at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 19:13:40 PDT 2010

Hi Kevin:
    I'm afraid that I've shot my wad as far is advice on this one goes.  I'm not  in California and I've only worked there a few times.  Since there are huge climatic, landform and ecological differences from one part of the state to another, I am not qualified to provide examples. I know the principles, but you need local people for the particulars. I have vague notions about the Santa Barbara climate, but I'd want hard climate data, for example, before recommending anything but natives naturally growing in similar conditions. Carob is a relatively small tree--the ones I've seen in Spain were about 20' more or less.  If you've read Yeomans, you know that you want taller trees on the slope to increase humidity and possibly precipitation.  Some non-woody plants might serve also, e.g. or more of the many Agave species, which I'm guessing to be deep rooted judging from their adaption.  Of course guessing won't do, because you have a very sensitive area. The problem with herbaceous plants, of course, is that they are short-lived, compared to trees, so the roots die.  They may be useful as a temporary expedient to hold soil while tap-rooted trees, many of which are slow growing, take hold. Possibly your slope already contains the necessary vegetation to hold the soil in place.
    No good permaculture designer is going to make recommendations without visiting the site.  Inquiries such as yours are good for eliciting directions for further consideration, but familiarity with the site is paramount.  I'm not familiar with any books or other authoritative information resource that gives good data on plant root structures, except in a general way.
    But whether the information is available or not, you need it to design and implement responsibly.  Try the local forestry people, for starters.  Local colleges with landscape departments may have people who can give you a list of suitable species, or tell you where to find one.
    One thought that comes to mind is almond.  Also in Spain, I saw these in road cuts.  They were established on the crown of the slope, and sent their roots deep. When the road was widened, or when soil slipped, the exposed almond roots sent up new shoots and colonized the bank with a network of roots and trees from top to bottom.  These cuts were about 20-25 feet high, if my memory holds. I have a picture of a mature root sprouted tree on the cover of one of our journals (The International Permaculture Solutions Journal) as a matter of fact. I have no way of knowing if the original almond trees were transplants or were seeded in place, and that could make a difference.

Black locust performs similarly, by the way, but in damp situations such as the outside curve of creeks and rivers where they retard the rate at which the water cuts away the bank.  But they would not do on a dry site.  But there are local people who know what plants do this in your area. You just have to hunt them down.

Good luck

Dan Hemenway