[Scpg] steep permaculture slope ideas?

Owen Dell owen at owendell.com
Mon Sep 6 10:29:05 PDT 2010

Grass is a very poor way to protect slopes against erosion. The large
number of stem penetrations results in a very effective transmission
of water into the soil, which can lead to supersaturation and slope
failure. No offense to anyone, but I recommend that people not
speculate about what is going to work. There are accepted standards
for this kind of activity. Permaculture is a great thing, but it
doesn't always address real-world issues and it isn't always right.
Slope failures can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix, and
the cost is not covered by insurance. I say again, PLEASE consult a
professional before you go off implementing half-cocked ideas.

Owen

Owen E. Dell, ASLA
Owen Dell & Associates
Landscape Architect • Educator • Author
P.O. Box 30433 • Santa Barbara, CA 93130
805 962-3253
owen at owendell.com
www.owendell.com

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"You take a number of small steps which you believe are right,
thinking maybe tomorrow somebody will treat this as a dangerous
provocation. And then you wait. If there is no reaction, you take
another step: courage is only an accumulation of small steps."
			George Konrad
			Hungarian novelist & essayist